Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris read a compress file without decompressing it Post 302354865 by vidyadhar85 on Sunday 20th of September 2009 03:57:32 PM
Old 09-20-2009
there is one utility called zcat or gzcat or gunzip -c filename(not sure)
using which u can read the .zip file...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[help] Cant compress file

Anybody know what happened here? 162 lab2-36:~/try_direct/another> compress url.txt url.txt: -- file unchanged (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: endeavour1985
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compress a file in unix

Hi, I want to compress a dmp file and ftp to another machine.pls tell me the steps to compress and uncompress the file in unix Thankyou (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rujupriya
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress a file before ftp

Hi, I have a script that ftp's to over 100 deifferent servers in turn, gets a specific file, renames it and drops it onto a local backup server. The files vary in size from 4mb to 150mb. I am within a secure intranet to security with ftp is not an issue. I want to auto compress the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrMac
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compress more than one file

hi, I need to compress a couple files in a directory.i tried using tar cvf filename1 filename2 but i am not able to open tar file. please suggest how to compress more than one file in to same file thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasee
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script to takes the old data from a TXT file and compress them into new file

Hi, I am looking for the unix script which can takes the 2 month old data from a TXT file (there is one txt file in whiche messages are appended on daily basis) and compress them into new file.Please halp me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpandey
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To view .gz files without decompressing it

hi, I have a file called Archiver1.gz how to view this file without doing gunzip on it i.e. decompressing it i tried this command but its not working: gzcat Archiver1.gz | tail -10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
4 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Decompressing Tar Archives (Finally!)

If you've come across this problem with unzipping/decompressing zips, you might find this helpful: I was having a little trouble with unzipping (decompressing) tarred archives under OS 10.5 until today. My first attempt was to just simply double-click on the zip file (i.e., example.tar.gz) and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimachead
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Multiple Strings from a list of *.gz files withour decompressing...

Hello Team, There is this situation where there are around 20 *.gz files and i want to search multiple words from all those files. Example as below : filea.gz fileb.gz filec.gz now i want to search words "hi" and "hello" from all these 3 files without... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun87
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress every file

Dear Experts, I am new to this forum. Thank you for moderator to allow me to join. I have a question about automatic compression using sh and crontab on an application which runs on the Suse Linux Server 11 SP4. My question is how to compress every file in a directory into its own tar... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steven_2975
5 Replies
zipnote(1)						      General Commands Manual							zipnote(1)

NAME
zipsplit - split a zipfile into smaller zipfiles SYNOPSIS
zipsplit [-t] [-i] [-p] [-s] [-n size] [-r room] [-b path] [-h] [-v] [-L] zipfile ARGUMENTS
zipfile Zipfile to split. OPTIONS
-t Report how many files it will take, but don't make them. -i Make index (zipsplit.idx) and count its size against first zip file. -n size Make zip files no larger than "size" (default = 36000). -r room Leave room for "room" bytes on the first disk (default = 0). -b path Use path for the output zip files. -p Pause between output zip files. -s Do a sequential split even if it takes more zip files. -h Show a short help. -v Show version information. -L Show software license. DESCRIPTION
zipsplit reads a zipfile and splits it into smaller zipfiles. EXAMPLES
To be filled in. BUGS
Does not yet support large (> 2 GB) or split archives. SEE ALSO
zip(1), unzip(1) AUTHOR
Info-ZIP v3.0 of 8 May 2008 zipnote(1)