Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to correctly use an echo inside an echo? Post 302354802 by raja_kolluru on Saturday 19th of September 2009 11:40:18 PM
Old 09-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokachoka
Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example...

i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos...

echo "echo "hello"" >$file
echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file

Why is this not correct?

Thanks.
A few observations here:
1. As suggested earlier, either "escape" the double quotes surrounding "hello" or use single quote i.e. use
Code:
 echo "echo \"Hello\" "
or echo "echo 'hello' "

2. By doing >$file two times the second echo (i.e. good bye) will over write $file. Instead use
Code:
 echo "echo 'goodbye'" >> $file

to append the contents of the echo into the file.
3. It is a best practice to refrain from creating elaborate scripts using the echo command. Instead use shell "here documents"
Code:
cat <<! > $file
echo "Hello" 
echo "Good bye" 
!

is certainly a lot cleaner.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo not echoing correctly

Here is the file named tuwork.......... 209 200 WZ 6529 SKTNCA01X4X C POI LODI LODI 738 SKTNCA0127T LOD Here is the scipt....... cat tuwork | while read rva do num=`echo $rva | cut -d" " -f1-2` reg=`echo $rva | cut -c10` ocn=`echo $rva | cut -c12-15` x=`echo $rva | cut -c29`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve extented ascii character when run echo comand inside bash script

Hi everyone, I'm echo some text with extended ascii characters as below: echo -e "Pr\xE9sentation du spectacle" > output or echo -e "Présentation du spectacle" > outputIf I open the file created I see this text Présentation du spectacleThe text is shown correctly in this created file when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform echo and awk inside a string

hi, just wanted to make a shortcut of this one a="a b c" b=`echo $a | awk '{print $2}'` echo "the middle is $b" why can't i do this: a="a b c" echo "the middle is ${`echo $a | awk '{print $2}'`}" <- bad substitution :wall: thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to echo single quotes inside awk

# echo 'export HISTFILE=/var/log/history/history_$(uname -n)_$(date +%Y:%b:%d:%H:%M)_$(who am i | awk '{print \$1}')' >> new_file # # cat new_file export HISTFILE=/var/log/history/history_$(uname -n)_$(date +%Y:%b:%d:%H:%M)_$(who am i | awk {print $1}) # Now how to echo the quotes around the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using echo to print arguments inside a function

I am using echo in bash. Have created a function prargv which takes a number of arguments. Example: prargv "-e" "--examples" Inside prargv, I want to print all the arguments using echo echo "$@" This returns --examples rather than -e --examples" This problem can be fixed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between echo `ls -l` and echo "`ls -l`" ?

Hi guys, Been messing around with shell programming for a couple of days and I found something that was pretty odd in the behavior of the echo command. Below is an example-: When I type the following in my /home directory from my lxterminal in Debian-: echo "`ls -l`" I get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Less or echo

Is there a better way to show the results of a file on the screen other then less , which exits the program and displays: Input Status AB026906.1:c.274G>T OK c:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/syntax_verify.txt (END) authenticate() { printf "\n\n" less... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)