Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xargs and gnuplot
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting xargs and gnuplot Post 302354787 by rubin on Saturday 19th of September 2009 07:40:05 PM
Old 09-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulianna2002
If I run 'myscript.sh file1.dat file2.dat', it works as expected and gnuplot waits for me to press the enter key before moving onto the next plot.

But, if I do something like 'ls file*.dat | xargs myscript.sh' gnuplot runs through all of the plots without waiting for me to press enter.

So, gnuplot is getting something from stdin effectively making my pause commands useless.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Maybe ls ...| xargs ... is not needed, but if that's the case, then try:

Code:
printf "%s\n" file*.dat | xargs -n1 -p myscript.sh

Also the pause -1 records might need to be removed from the gnuplot command file.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with gnuplot

Hi, I am a beginner using UNIX, and was wondering how to use gnuplot from UNIX on my pc. I am connected remotely to my work's UNIX server using Secure Shell Client, and gnuplot won't open a new window when I use the plot command. How do I do this? Moreover, is it possible to save things from the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: KTTFB64
0 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

gnuplot + 3-d grids

When designing a 3-d graph in gnuplot, is it possible to create a 3-d grid that goes through each point on the graph ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
0 Replies

3. AIX

Sarcheck - gnuplot 3.7.1

Good Afternoon, I'm having an issue finding the correct libX11.a fileset on my 595 running AIX 5.3.0.0. Currently I'm trying to instal Sarcheck on my nim master. The problem occurs during the GNUPLOT installation. error: failed dependencies: libX11.a(shr4.o) is needed by gnuplot-3.7.1-1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincent1117
3 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

GNUplot

Hi, I am trying to make a plot of an ASCII file using GNUplot, but I keep getting error msg: for example plot filename.txt It says that (.txt ) is not identified ... I tried to write it without the .txt part, but I also get the error msg. Any idea why? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

gnuplot limitations

I'm running a simulation (programmed in C) which makes calls to gnuplot periodically to plot data I have stored. First I open a pipe to gnuplot and set it to multiplot: FILE * pipe = popen("gnuplot", "w"); fprintf(pipe, "set multiplot\n"); fflush(pipe); (this pipe stays open until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedavidw
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GNUPLOT problem

Hi, Im trying to plot a time series with gnuplot. this is my script set xdata time set yrange set timefmt "%H" set xrange set format x "%H:%M:%S" plot "time_vs_times.txt" using 1:2 title 'Interarrival time' with points lw 2 and this is my data 11:14:18 5 11:14:19 10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gnuplot command

My data input looks like this: -16.25 -38.75 9.69094 -16.25 -36.25 10.0594 -16.25 -33.75 10.3884 -16.25 -31.25 10.6653 -16.25 -28.75 10.7947 -16.25 -26.25 10.8838 -16.25 -23.75 10.8463 -16.25 -21.25 10.8131 -16.25 -18.75 10.7509 -16.25 -16.25 10.6581 -16.25 -13.75 10.6859 -16.25... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: programmerc
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gnuplot in bash

Hi, I want a graph plot using gnuplot for df -h command. like filesystem, total size and avail size. Thanks, Anjan ---------- Post updated at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:34 PM ---------- I want a graph plot using gnuplot for df -h command per hour. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gnuplot question

Hi! Let's say I have these two columns in file.txt 0 1 1 5 2 10 3 15 4 20 5 25 in gnuplot, i would plot usingplot 'file.txt' u 1:2 If I wanted to add a label to the y-axis I would useset label "Ef" at 0.0,7.0 However, I want the label Ef to be on the otherside of the y-axis. Not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidiq1983
0 Replies
MUPLOT(1)							   User Commands							 MUPLOT(1)

NAME
muplot - plot a multi-curve figure from multiple data by using Gnuplot SYNOPSIS
muplot [OPTION]... [STYLE] [FILE] [AXES] [FILE] [AXES] ... DESCRIPTION
Muplot is a simple, non-interactive gnuplot-wrapper to plot a multi-curve figure from multiple data (files). It can produce PostScript, PDF, PNG or JPEG output file formats. OPTIONS
--help|-H display help --version output version and license message -h display short help -V print program version number -s create PostScript file -S send PostScript output to STDOUT (the same as '-s -o -') -n create PNG file -j create JPEG file -p create PDF file (requires the gnuplot "pdfcairo" driver) -c <cmd> execute gnuplot command(s) (the default plot style is used) -m monochrome plot (valid only for PostScript) -l set plot size to 800x600 (valid for PNG and JPEG) -o base name of the output file -q quiet mode (all messages except errors to be suppressed) -i ignore local command file './.muplotset' -I <file> specify an alternative command file instead of './.muplotset' Styles: l lines p points lp lines and points (default) pp circle points d dots b boxes g grid e errorbars - default used columns are 1:2:3 (x:y:yerror) a fields with arrows; The data file has a special format in this case. Use 'prefield' to prepare such data files. dt=<fmt> date/time series with the specified format; For example: dt="%H:%M.%S@%H:%M" where the first part, in front of "@", defines the data format, and the second part defines the format that will be used for tic labels. Here, hours and minutes are separated by `:', respectively minutes and seconds by `.' Another example could be a date: dt="%Y-%m-%d". u=<fmt> user specified format as defined in Gnuplot Axes: x:y,x:y-z columns in the file defining the x/y-axes of the curve(s); Default are 1:2 or 1:2:3 for data with errors. In case that only one col- umn is provided the default axes are 0:1 - the x-axis will be a simple index then. File(s) could be a single file name whereas '-' means <stdin>, many files enclosed in '' or "" like "file1 file2 file3", or any valid shell pattern as for example "*.dat". The files '$HOME/.muplotset' and './.muplotset', if existing, will be included at the beginning of the gnu- plot script. The command block between "#BEGIN" and "#END" in those files will be pasted to the end of the script. If you want that the global '$HOME/.muplotset' is ignored, create in your local directory a file named '.muplotset.noglobal'. In case you want to view the out- put, define the env variable MUPLOT_VIEWER and export it, for example: MUPLOT_VIEWER="xpdf -z page"; export MUPLOT_VIEWER Then the program will prompt you to view the plot, and after confirmation the viewer will present the graphics. If the postscript file for- mat is chosen ('-s' option), and MUPLOT_VIEWER is not defined, the viewer is preset to 'gv', and per default you are prompted to view the output. To disable this behavior, set MUPLOT_VIEWER="". EXAMPLES
1) On X-terminal view a multi-curve plot of data files with extension 'dat' muplot l "*.dat" 2) Print a sinus curve in black-and-white color on a PostScript printer muplot -m -S -c "set title 'Function f(x)=sin(x)'; plot sin(x);" | lpr 3) Plot data from file "example.dat" using columns 1:2, 3:4, and 3:5 as x/y-axes in the multi-curve plot; a PostScript file with the name "example.ps" is automatically created. muplot -s lp example.dat 1:2,3:4-5 4) Create graphics in PDF format reading data from file "example.1.dat" (columns 1:2), and from file "example.2.dat" (columns 3:4) muplot -p lp example.1.dat 1:2 example.2.dat 3:4 5) View data where the third column is a date of the form 'yyyy-mm-dd' cat example_counts_per_day.dat | muplot dt="%Y-%m-%d" - 3:1 REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <gnu@mirendom.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1996-2009, 2011-2012 Dimitar Ivanov License: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. muplot 3.2.1 February 2012 MUPLOT(1)