Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Adding hdparm to system start-up Post 302354556 by Gunther on Friday 18th of September 2009 02:22:42 PM
Old 09-18-2009
You were right: it's the script's job to parse the configuration file.

Furthermore, I also believe 'hdparm' doesn't have much of the characteristics that feature a daemon. So, I put
Quote:
99:12345:sysinit:/sbin/hdparm --security-freeze /dev/hda
in my /etc/inittab and now it works.
I guess I can't apply the protection much earlier.

Thank you for your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

how to start the x window system

hi, am new to hp-ux, i just bought an hp-ux with the hp-ux 11.0 os, is very old, and i wnat to start the x window system but it send an error that said that couldn't open the x server, i try startx, xinit, and nothing, and also where i can find tutorials for hp-ux os for beginners (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobody
7 Replies

2. SCO

System will not start

I am running OpenServer 5.0.5a on a Compaq Proliant 800. When trying to start the system it goes through loading everything and at the end I get the following message. WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found H iinit ime Loadable Driver May be requiredG drain8042 PANIC: srmontfun -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlb1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job at system start up

I want to know if there is a way to make a certain set of programs start in order at system startup with cron or something else i dont know about. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Xend cannot start in my system

Hi all,,i'm sorry if my post is repost..but i'm need help about my problem... My specifications is : Sony Vaio VGN CR-323 Intel Dual-Core T2390(1.86 GHz) Memory 2GB DDR Harddisk 200GB with Debian lenny 2.6.26-1-686 i'm install xen via apt-get install xen blah..blah blah root@hell:~#... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demhyt
4 Replies

5. AIX

Q: how to start a service when system start

As topic, assume we have a service called "blahservice" and we can start it by: startsrc -s blahservice what is the best practice to run such command when system start? - directly use mkitab to add it into /etc/inittab or - drop startup scripts in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d I know they... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acerlinux
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing script at system start up

Hi I had written a piece of script . Please let me know is it possible to run / execute this script at system startup ?? Thanks in advance . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Pavanv
5 Replies

7. Solaris

How to start system console in ELOM?

Hi, The system is Sun x4150. I use putty ssh to access to it. I can't start system console: (hung) Any help will be greatly appreciated! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
5 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

How to start in System Administration?

Hi all, I wonder if you guys could give me some advice on this. I have messed around with Linux for the last few years, and I'm at the point where I would like to become a system administrator - as a career. I already have a bachelor's degree, but it is in the humanities (art history) so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScottLew
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start Script on system reboot

Hi, I have the following script that looks for a certain file and then executes the start.sh file. How can i make this process to kick when the box reboots. Please advice if ; then /u01/Essbase/Oracle//Middleware/user_projects/epmsystem7/bin/start.sh; rm... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinkingeye
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Cannot start system-log on Solaris 10

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well.. I am having the following issue that need your advice. I am configuring syslog on Solaris 10. I have edited the /etc/syslog.conf by adding the following entry: *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;auth.debug;user.debug;local6.info @<IP Address of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
7 Replies
INITSCRIPT(5)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     INITSCRIPT(5)

NAME
initscript - script that executes inittab commands. SYNOPSIS
/bin/sh /etc/initscript id runlevels action process DESCRIPTION
When the shell script /etc/initscript is present, init will use it to execute the commands from inittab. This script can be used to set things like ulimit and umask default values for every process. EXAMPLES
This is a sample initscript, which might be installed on your system as /etc/initscript.sample. # # initscript Executed by init(8) for every program it # wants to spawn like this: # # /bin/sh /etc/initscript <id> <level> <action> <process> # # Set umask to safe level, and enable core dumps. umask 022 ulimit -c 2097151 PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin export PATH # Increase the hard filedescriptor limit for all processes # to 8192. The soft limit is still 1024, but any unpriviliged # process can increase it's soft limit up to the hardlimit # with "ulimit -Sn xxx" (needs a 2.2.13 or later Linux kernel). ulimit -Hn 8192 # Execute the program. eval exec "$4" FILES
/etc/inittab, /etc/initscript. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg ,<miquels@cistron.nl> SEE ALSO
init(8), inittab(5). December 24, 1999 INITSCRIPT(5)