Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help with file formatting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help with file formatting Post 302354458 by Franklin52 on Friday 18th of September 2009 08:20:41 AM
Old 09-18-2009
The solution of vidyadhar85 gives:

Code:
$ awk 'ORS=(NF)?",":"\n"' file
AAA,pqr,jkl,mnop,abcd,
BBB,abc,pqrs,xyz,uvw,,efgh,uvw,,rpk,
CCC,123,456,789,$

The solution of summer_cherry gives:

Code:
$ sed -n '/^$/!{
      $!{H;}
      ${H;x;s/\n/,/2;s/\n//g;p;}
      }
    /^$/{x;s/\n/,/2;s/\n//g;p;}' file
AAA,pqr,jkl,mnop,abcd
BBB,abc,pqrs,xyz,uvw,efgh,uvw,rpk
CCC,123,456,789
$

The solution of radoulov gives:

Code:
$ awk -F, 'END { print r }
NR > 1 && /[A-Z]/ {
  print r; r = ""
  }
{ r = r ? r $0 : $0 FS }
' file
AAA,
pqr,jkl,mnop,abcd,
BBB,
abc,pqrs,xyz,uvw,,
efgh,uvw,,
rpk,
CCC,123,456,789
$

The solution of vgersh99 gives:

Code:
$ nawk 'BEGIN{FS=RS="";OFS=","} $1=$1' file
A,A,A,
,p,q,r,,,j,k,l,,,m,n,o,p,,,a,b,c,d
B,B,B,
,a,b,c,,,p,q,r,s,,,x,y,z,,,u,v,w,,,
,e,f,g,h,,,u,v,w,,,
,r,p,k
C,C,C,
$

The expected output is:

Code:
AAA,pqr,jkl,mnop,abcd
CCC,123,456,789

Only the solution of summer_cherry gives me the right output. Am I missing something?

My approach:

Code:
awk '{$1=$1;gsub(",,",",")}1' OFS="," RS="\n\n" file

Output:

Code:
$ awk '{$1=$1;gsub(",,",",")}1' OFS="," RS="\n\n" file
AAA,pqr,jkl,mnop,abcd
CCC,123,456,789
$

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a file

Hi All, I have been trying to format a file using sed. I can't seem to get the syntax right. I want to append the next line delemited by a comma or a comma and double quotes. Here is an example of the file I'm tring to format: Before formatting: 00324 03A0312 BRI-u24 0000324 01 H-12... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with formatting of file.

I have a file with following file format - DMCRH|||83000171|||14022008||0430|||8956612.23|J|||3571235|1378452|23468|6894|9234| DMCRH|||83000215|||15092007||0480|||121.33|J|||LineID003|RefNumSP003|RefNumMem003|0004|0003| What i need done is - 1. Cut the firt four digits of the date (eg 1402... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: divz
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting a file.

I want to format a file to limit record length = 100, in each line. Any idea how i can do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilasha
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Formatting

Hi, Need to delete all the records prior to pattern (INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE). If ' is available, then need to retain it. Input ====================== l_s := ' INSERT INTO TEST' l_P PD := ' UPDATE INTO TEST' l_D := ' DELETE INTO TEST' This is test Input ======================... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabhbaisakhi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Formatting

Hi, Need to delete all the records prior to pattern (INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE). If ' is available, then need to retain it. Input ====================== l_s := ' INSERT INTO TEST' l_P PD := ' UPDATE INTO TEST' l_D := ' DELETE INTO TEST' This is test Output ======================... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabhbaisakhi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File formatting

I need to count the number of lines between two sets of pattern in a file and delete those lines from that file e.g From jyotiv@yahoo.com test test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 From Jyotiv@yahoo.com So count lines from test to test6 and delete it from the start of file till next From... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotiv
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File formatting

Hi, I have a file which contains data in this format # User@Host: abc @ Id: 0000000 # Query_time: 0.000070 Lock_time: 0.000000 Rows_sent: 1 Rows_examined: 0 SET timestamp=00000000; SELECT @@version, @@version_comment; # User@Host: abcd @ Id: 00000000 # Query_time: 0.000228 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Formatting

Hi, I have requirement to format the file.My input file tab(\t) saperated. File format is:- 93 WARNING Sat Mar 17 20:31:59 2012 Sequential_File_0,0: Missing record delimiter "\r\n", saw EOF instead 94 WARNING Sat Mar 17 20:31:59 2012 Sequential_File_0,0: Import... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasson_ibm
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting file data to another file (control character related)

I have to write a program to read data from files and then format into another file. However, I face a strange problem related to control character that I can't understand and solve. The source file is compose of many lines with such format: T_NAME|P_NAME|P_CODE|DOCUMENT_PATH|REG_DATE ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hk6279
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting data in a raw file by using another mapping file

Hi All, i have a requirement where i need to format the input RAW file ( which is CSV) by using another mapping file(also CSV file). basically i am getting feed file with dynamic headers by using mapping file (in that target field is mapped with source filed) i have to convert the raw file into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi4informatic
6 Replies
Char(3) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   Char(3)

NAME
PDL::Char -- PDL subclass which allows reading and writing of fixed-length character strings as byte PDLs SYNOPSIS
use PDL; use PDL::Char; my $pchar = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $pchar->setstr(1,0,'foo'); print $pchar; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'foo' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] print $pchar->atstr(2,0); # Prints: # ghi DESCRIPTION
This subclass of PDL allows one to manipulate PDLs of 'byte' type as if they were made of fixed length strings, not just numbers. This type of behavior is useful when you want to work with charactar grids. The indexing is done on a string level and not a character level for the 'setstr' and 'atstr' commands. This module is in particular useful for writing NetCDF files that include character data using the PDL::NetCDF module. FUNCTIONS
new Function to create a byte PDL from a string, list of strings, list of list of strings, etc. # create a new PDL::Char from a perl array of strings $strpdl = PDL::Char->new( ['abc', 'def', 'ghij'] ); # Convert a PDL of type 'byte' to a PDL::Char $strpdl1 = PDL::Char->new (sequence (byte, 4, 5)+99); $pdlchar3d = PDL::Char->new([['abc','def','ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']]); string Function to print a character PDL (created by 'char') in a pretty format. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] # 'string' is overloaded to the "" operator, so: # print $char; # should have the same effect. setstr Function to set one string value in a character PDL. The input position is the position of the string, not a character in the string. The first dimension is assumed to be the length of the string. The input string will be null-padded if the string is shorter than the first dimension of the PDL. It will be truncated if it is longer. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $char->setstr(0,1, 'foobar'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] $char->setstr(2,1, 'f'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'f'] -> note that this 'f' is stored "f" # ] atstr Function to fetch one string value from a PDL::Char type PDL, given a position within the PDL. The input position of the string, not a character in the string. The length of the input string is the implied first dimension. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char->atstr(0,1); # Prints: # jkl perl v5.8.0 2001-05-27 Char(3)