Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Problem with wc command in AIX in ZH_CN locale Post 302354372 by Kanaka on Friday 18th of September 2009 01:42:14 AM
Old 09-18-2009
Problem with wc command in AIX in ZH_CN locale

Hi,

When I am trying to use wc -c "filename" in terminal it is printing the file size. But when I change the terminal locale setting using export LC_ALL=ZH_CN.UTF-8 and try, it is giving an error in chinese saying (Invalid multibyte character) and not printing the size. Same problem I am facing for all non english locales.

Please help me out with the reason why it is giving error and any alternative for this.

Thanks in advance
Kanaka

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with Pax command and backups on AIX HP-UX and IRIX

can someone tell me in details what this command does: pax -rpe -f /dev/rmt0 -s:^/home:/temp/test:g The definition given in the source i got this from says that command is used to restore the files from /home to /tmp/test. now, i know there's goto be a deeper explanation than that. can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using locale

:confused: Can anyone tell me how to test that locale is working properly in commands like awk, basename, bg, cd, cmp, col, command, csplit, cut, echo, egrep For ex. suppose I have changed locale using LC_ALL=german_germany.8859 export LC_ALL now i want to test(see) it's effect on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alodha
3 Replies

3. AIX

Japanese Locale installation on AIX 5.3

Hi Can anybody tell me where do i find (download) the following filesets for AIX 5.3. These are the dependencies i'm facing while installing Japanese locale from the 5th CD of AIX 5.3 CD bundle. X11.loc.ja_JP.base.rte 5.3.0.0 # AIXwindows Locale Configurat... bos.loc.iso.ja_JP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aditya_930
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Command to set locale for my linux machine

Hi, I need to set a locale to my linux machine which has redhat enterprise linux 4 how should I do that. And also when i did locale -a, I have got three versions for each locale type with different .extensions like utf8,iso88951 and soon which file should I use for setting locale. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Problem in locale installation through solaris 10 cds

Dear All I am in a problem where i have to install en_us locale through solaris 10 05/08 which is in 5 cds as I download from internet. when I use the following command after putting disk 1 of solaris 10 loceladm -a en_us -d /cdrom/cdrom0/s0/Solaris_10/Product It install few packages but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
3 Replies

6. AIX

AIX:Command to get netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6

AIX:Command to get netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6 Can anybody help us with a command to retrieve netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6 on aix machine. net/subnet address is in the format 172.16.212.0(signifies all 255 machines in an IPv4 network) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie8278
2 Replies

7. AIX

Which command in AIX 5L is replace updatelv in AIX 4.3?

When I import VG, it shows: 0516-622 synclvodm: Warning, cannot write lv control block data. I found AIX V4.3 have updatelv command can recovery LVB from VG, however, updatelv is not existed on AIX 5L, which command to replace it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
2 Replies

8. AIX

problem with command 'route -q' in AIX 5.3

Hi all! I have a problem.I access to AIX server via SSH,then i use command 'route -q', after that i can't connect to AIX server.Please help me to fix this problem. Thanks & Best Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bachtq
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maxdepth command not working in AIX.Need alternative solution for this command

Hi All, I am trying to select 30 days older files under current directory ,but not from subdirectory using below command. find <Dir> -type f -mtime + 30 This command selecting all the files from current directory and also from sub directory . I read some documention through internet ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kommineni
1 Replies

10. AIX

AIX CDE Locale Configuration

Dears I am looking for this binary to complete my X11 installation and I can not find it in the media , can any one help me where can I download it X11.loc.en_US.Dt.rte AIX CDE Locale Configuration - U.S. English (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
1 Replies
uxterm(1)						      General Commands Manual							 uxterm(1)

NAME
uxterm - X terminal emulator for Unicode (UTF-8) environments SYNOPSIS
uxterm [ xterm-options ] DESCRIPTION
uxterm is a wrapper around the xterm(1) program that invokes the latter program with the 'UXTerm' X resource class set. All arguments to uxterm are passed to xterm without processing; the -class and -u8 options should not be specified because they are used by the wrapper. See the xterm manual page for more information on xterm-options. The environment's locale settings (see "ENVIRONMENT" below) are used to discern the locale's character set. If no current locale can be determined, the locale 'en_US' (the English language as used in the territory of the United States) is assumed. The locale(1) utility is used to determine whether the system supports the selected locale. If it does not, uxterm will exit with an error and report the output of locale. Note: uxterm may produce unexpected results if the current locale is set to one in which the UTF-8 character encoding is not supported, or if fonts using the ISO 10646-1 character set are not available. In the Debian system, the 'xfonts-base' package provides the fonts that uxterm uses by default. To change the fonts uxterm uses, edit the /etc/X11/app-defaults/UXTerm file. A similar wrapper, koi8rxterm(1), is available for KOI8-R environments. ENVIRONMENT
LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG The values of these variables are checked, in order, to determine the character set used by the current locale. AUTHOR
Thomas Dickey SEE ALSO
locale(1), locale(7), koi8rxterm(1), xterm(1) Debian Project 2004-12-19 uxterm(1)