Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting Text Between Two Unique Lines Post 302354365 by skmdu on Friday 18th of September 2009 01:18:57 AM
Old 09-18-2009
Code:
sed  -n '/<Placemark>/,/<\/Placemark>/p' file

---------- Post updated at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:18 AM ----------

Code:
sed -n '
/^<Place/!b
:loop
$!{
N
/<\/Place/!b loop
}
p' place

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting unique lines from text file

I have a file with 14million lines and I would like to extract all the unique lines from the file into another text file. For example: Contents of file1 happy sad smile happy funny sad I want to run a command against file one that only returns the unique lines (ie 1 line for happy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text out of specific lines

Hi, I have a file like LAHORE 2009-04-16 16:04:19 THU S5830 FAULT MESSAGE SUPPRESS STATUS LOC : ASP00 STS : SUPPRESSING CONTINUE INF : F6201 TRUNK. DATA FAULT REPORT COMPLETED LAHORE 2009-04-16 16:04:20 THU S8400 ISUP SIGNALLING TRACE -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : extracting unique lines based on columns

Hi, snp.txt CHR_A SNP_A BP_A_st BP_A_End CHR_B BP_B SNP_B R2 p-SNP_A p-SNP_B 5 rs1988728 74904317 74904318 5 74960646 rs1427924 0.377333 0.000740085 0.013930081 5 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting several lines of text after a unique string

I'm attempting to write a script to identify users who have sudo access on a server. I only want to extract the ID's of the sudo users after a unique line of text. The list of sudo users goes to the EOF so I only need the script to start after the unique line of text. I already have a script to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bouncer
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting specific text from lines

Hello, i've got this output text: and i need it to look something like this: which means that there won't be absolute path of each directory, just it's size and the last word after last '/' in each line, and i also don't need last line '1.7M /tmp' Looks like there is a simple... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krater559
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Multiple Lines from a Text File

Hello. I am sorry if this is a common question but through all my searching, I haven't found an answer which matches what I want to do. I am looking for a sed command that will parse through a large text file and extract lines that start with specific words (which are repeated throughout the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrDumbQuestion
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple unique lines from event log text file into one line, use PERL or AWK?

I can't decide if I should use AWK or PERL after pouring over these forums for hours today I decided I'd post something and see if I couldn't get some advice. I've got a text file full of hundreds of events in this format: Record Number : 1 Records in Seq : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mayday22
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting lines from text files in folder based on the numbers in another file

Hello, I have a file ff.txt that looks as follows *ABNA.txt 356 24 36 112 *AC24.txt 457 458 321 2 ABNA.txt and AC24.txt are the files in the folder named foo1. Based on the numbers in the ff.txt file, I want to extract the lines from the corresponding files in the foo1 folder and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohamad
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print unique lines without sort or unique

I would like to print unique lines without sort or unique. Unfortunately the server I am working on does not have sort or unique. I have not been able to contact the administrator of the server to ask him to add it for several weeks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for lines containing a given pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [-elnsv] pattern [file] ... OPTIONS
-e -e pattern is the same as pattern -c Print a count of lines matched -i Ignore case -l Print file names, no lines -n Print line numbers -s Status only, no printed output -v Select lines that do not match EXAMPLES
grep mouse file # Find lines in file containing mouse grep [0-9] file # Print lines containing a digit DESCRIPTION
Grep searches one or more files (by default, stdin) and selects out all the lines that match the pattern. All the regular expressions accepted by ed and mined are allowed. In addition, + can be used instead of * to mean 1 or more occurrences, ? can be used to mean 0 or 1 occurrences, and | can be used between two regular expressions to mean either one of them. Parentheses can be used for grouping. If a match is found, exit status 0 is returned. If no match is found, exit status 1 is returned. If an error is detected, exit status 2 is returned. SEE ALSO
cgrep(1), fgrep(1), sed(1), awk(9). GREP(1)