Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help parsing logs maybe with menu and variables? Post 302354265 by peterro on Thursday 17th of September 2009 03:45:19 PM
Old 09-17-2009
I would probably send all the logs to a syslog server and then use splunk to parse through them. It's a more generic solution that's already been written.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass variables to 3rd party unix menu?

Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to pass data to a unix driven 3rd party menu. Changing the code is out of the question. I have a menu with various options and I would like a ksh to execute the menu and input the required fields. For example. Main menu 1. Company Name 2. blah... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctcuser
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing and getting values of variables

suppose i have a file value where it returns 3 values a=1 b=2 c=4 when i run it. i am using this file in my shell script. how do i parse and get the value of a b and c? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rekha
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing Powerbroker Logs for SysAdmin Changes (SOX)

I need to identify a list of AIX command strings that can be used to parse Powerbroker logs for changes that are being made by Unix SysAdmins. Need to filter out (as much as possible) inquiry or routine maintenance activity and concentrate on software/security changes. This is for internal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bcouchtx
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing out the logs and generating report

My file will contain following(log.txt): start testcase: config loading ...... error XXXX ..... end testcase: config loading, result failed start testcase: ping check ..... error ZZZZZ ..... error AAAAA end testcase: Ping check, result failed I am expecting below output. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing log files, displaying logs between specific dates

Sorry, couldn't really think of a simple subject/title. So, I have a log file, and the dates are displayed like so: 2009-03-05 02:49:44 So the first and second field are the date/time. I can change them into a unix timestamp easily with: date -d "2009-03-05 02:49:44" +%s However,... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhije
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help using read in menu script to cat out lines in logs

What is wrong with my menu script? Do I need to continue with the read statements? All I want to do with option 4 is to cat some /var/log/files and awk out a few lines? How do I do that please? $ cat menu.sh ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: taekwondo
11 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Parsing Tuxedo Logs

Right now I am parsing Tuxedo logs to calculate response times for various services. I was hoping to find a log tool that had support for Tuxedo and would generate drill down html reports. ---------- Post updated at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:33 PM ---------- I just wanted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lurch
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning values to reference variables for a dynamic menu driven script.

How do I assign values to reference variables? I am assigning a variable name to --> $user_var Then I am trying to change its underlying variable value by $((user_var))=$user_value .. its failing,, Please let me know if there is a way to do this dynamically.. FileA.props... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing alphanumeric variables

Hi All, I have files with a column which has values and ranges, for example colA colB ERD1 3456 ERD2 ERD3 4456 I want to have the following output colA colB colC ERD1 3456 3456 ERD2 526887 526890 ERD3 4456 4456 Being a newbie to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpesh
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing fields into variables

A record contains 50 fields separated by "~". I need to assign each of these fields to different variables. Following is the shell script approach I tried. RECORD="FIELD1~FIELD2~FIELD3~FIELD4~FIELD5~...........~FIELD50" VAR1=$(echo ${RECORD} | cut -d"~" -f 1) VAR2=$(echo ${RECORD} | cut... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
5 Replies
SYSLOG(8)                                                         System Logging                                                         SYSLOG(8)

NAME
syslog-ng, syslogd DESCRIPTION
There are different syslog daemon implementations supported as the system's syslog service, currently syslogd, syslog-ng and rsyslogd The first installed daemon activates itself for the syslog service. Starting with openSUSE-11.2, it is rsyslogd, before it was syslog-ng. But this depends on the software selection during the installation. The name of the daemon used as syslog service is specified in the SYSLOG_DAEMON variable in /etc/sysconfig/syslog. The yast2 sysconfig module provides a comfortable way to switch to another installed daemon and restart the service. The /etc/init.d/syslog init script is able to handle all supported daemons. BUGS
Please report bugs at <http://www.suse.de/feedback> AUTHOR
Juergen Weigert <jw@novell.com> Marius Tomaschewski <mt@novell.com> SEE ALSO
sysklogd(8) syslogd(8) syslog.conf(5) syslog-ng(8) syslog-ng.conf(5) rsyslogd(8) rsyslog.conf(5) syslog May 2008 SYSLOG(8)