Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed problem - delete all lines until a match on 2 lines Post 302354206 by know d unknown on Thursday 17th of September 2009 12:21:53 PM
Old 09-17-2009
resetting the value of "i" to zero(0) did not happen... that is why it prints all the lines between regular expression...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete lines do NOT match a pattern

On Unix, it is easy to get those lines that match a pattern, by grep pattern file or those lines that do not, by grep -v pattern file but I am editing a file on Windows with Ultraedit. Ultraedit support regular expression based search and replace. I can delete all the lines that match a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JumboGeng
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: match pattern & delete matched lines

Hi all, I have the following data in a file x.csv: > ,this is some text here > ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2006/11/16,0.23 > ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2006/12/16,0.88 < ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this shouldnt be deleted I need to use SED to match anything with a > in the line and delete that line, can someone help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: not4google
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print all lines after pattern match

HiCan someone show me how to print all lines from a file after a line matching a pattern using sed?Thanks (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete block of lines when pattern does not match

I have this input file that I need to remove lines which represents more than 30 days of processing. Input file: On 11/17/2009 at 12:30:00, Program started processing...argc=7 Total number of bytes in file being processed is 390 Message buffer of length=390 was allocated successfully... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udelalv
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines line by match data 2 file.

i need to delete the lines is match from file data 1 & data 2 please help? data 1 4825307 4825308 4825248 4825309 4825310 4825311 4825336 data 2 4825248 0100362210 Time4Meal 39.00 41.73 MO & MT MT SMS 4825305 0100367565... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk to delete single lines that aren't touching other lines

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to use sed or awk to delete single lines in a file. By single, I mean lines that are not touching any other lines (just one line with white space above and below). Example: one two three four five six seven eight I want it to look like: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: slimjbe
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed delete blank lines upto first pattern match

Hi Im trying to do the following in sed. I want to delete any blank line at the start of a file until it matches a pattern and then stops. for example: Input output: I have got it to work within a range of two patterns with the following: sed '/1/,/pattern/{/^]*$/d}' The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duonut
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed, join lines that do not match pattern

Hello, Could someone help me with sed. I have searched for solution 5 days allready :wall:, but cant find. Unfortunately my "sed" knowledge not good enough to manage it. I have the text: 123, foo1, bar1, short text1, dat1e, stable_pattern 124, foo2, bar2, long text with few lines, date,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petrasl
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed read X lines after match

I want to do something like sed -n '/PATTERN/,+10p' and get the ten lines following PATTERN. However, this throws an "expected context address" with the sed that comes with OSX Lion. If that + is a GNUism, can I do this, or do I have to find another tool? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines based on pattern match

BASH in Solaris 10 I have a log file like below. Whenever the pattern ORA-39083 is encountered, I want to delete the line which has this pattern and 3 lines below it. $ cat someLogfile.txt ORA-39083: Object type OBJECT_GRANT failed to create with error: ORA-01917: user or role 'CMPA' does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
4 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)