Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Adding hdparm to system start-up Post 302353986 by Gunther on Wednesday 16th of September 2009 07:36:23 PM
Old 09-16-2009
I'm sorry, I wasn't very accurate.
I have restarted my system; without any effect.

Now, here comes the strange thing...
Running "sudo /etc/init.d/hdparm restart" gives me
Quote:
Setting parameters of disc: (none).
. The status remains "not frozen".

However, issuing a "sudo hdparm --security-freeze /dev/hda" gets the job done, reporting "issuing Security Freeze command". The status has been successfully changed.

It's like hdparm doesn't care about its config file...

Btw, I'm running Debian with a 2.6.26-2 kernel, hdparm's version number is 8.9-3.

Last edited by Gunther; 09-16-2009 at 08:42 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

how to start the x window system

hi, am new to hp-ux, i just bought an hp-ux with the hp-ux 11.0 os, is very old, and i wnat to start the x window system but it send an error that said that couldn't open the x server, i try startx, xinit, and nothing, and also where i can find tutorials for hp-ux os for beginners (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobody
7 Replies

2. SCO

System will not start

I am running OpenServer 5.0.5a on a Compaq Proliant 800. When trying to start the system it goes through loading everything and at the end I get the following message. WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found H iinit ime Loadable Driver May be requiredG drain8042 PANIC: srmontfun -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlb1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job at system start up

I want to know if there is a way to make a certain set of programs start in order at system startup with cron or something else i dont know about. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Xend cannot start in my system

Hi all,,i'm sorry if my post is repost..but i'm need help about my problem... My specifications is : Sony Vaio VGN CR-323 Intel Dual-Core T2390(1.86 GHz) Memory 2GB DDR Harddisk 200GB with Debian lenny 2.6.26-1-686 i'm install xen via apt-get install xen blah..blah blah root@hell:~#... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demhyt
4 Replies

5. AIX

Q: how to start a service when system start

As topic, assume we have a service called "blahservice" and we can start it by: startsrc -s blahservice what is the best practice to run such command when system start? - directly use mkitab to add it into /etc/inittab or - drop startup scripts in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d I know they... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acerlinux
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing script at system start up

Hi I had written a piece of script . Please let me know is it possible to run / execute this script at system startup ?? Thanks in advance . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Pavanv
5 Replies

7. Solaris

How to start system console in ELOM?

Hi, The system is Sun x4150. I use putty ssh to access to it. I can't start system console: (hung) Any help will be greatly appreciated! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
5 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

How to start in System Administration?

Hi all, I wonder if you guys could give me some advice on this. I have messed around with Linux for the last few years, and I'm at the point where I would like to become a system administrator - as a career. I already have a bachelor's degree, but it is in the humanities (art history) so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScottLew
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start Script on system reboot

Hi, I have the following script that looks for a certain file and then executes the start.sh file. How can i make this process to kick when the box reboots. Please advice if ; then /u01/Essbase/Oracle//Middleware/user_projects/epmsystem7/bin/start.sh; rm... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinkingeye
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Cannot start system-log on Solaris 10

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well.. I am having the following issue that need your advice. I am configuring syslog on Solaris 10. I have edited the /etc/syslog.conf by adding the following entry: *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;auth.debug;user.debug;local6.info @<IP Address of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
7 Replies
SG_RAW(8)							     SG3_UTILS								 SG_RAW(8)

NAME
sg_raw - sends an arbitrary SCSI command (with an optional data phase) to a device SYNOPSIS
sg_raw [OPTIONS] DEVICE CDB0 CDB1 ... DESCRIPTION
This utility sends an arbitrary SCSI command (between 6 and 16 bytes) to the DEVICE. For the optional data phase, data can either be read from a file and sent to the DEVICE or received from the DEVICE and then displayed or written to a file. The SCSI command may be between 6 and 16 bytes long. Each command byte is specified in plain hex format (00..FF) without a prefix or suf- fix. See EXAMPLES section below. The commands pass through a generic SCSI interface which is implemented for several operating systems including Linux, FreeBSD and Windows. OPTIONS
Arguments to long options are mandatory for short options as well. -b, --binary Dump data in binary form, even when writing to stdout. -h, --help Display usage information and exit. -i, --infile=IFILE Read data from IFILE instead of stdin. This option is ignored if --send is not specified. -k, --skip=LEN Skip the first LEN bytes of the input file or stream. This option is ignored if --send is not specified. -n, --nosense Don't display SCSI Sense information. -o, --outfile=OFILE Write data received from the DEVICE to OFILE. The data is written in binary. By default, data is dumped in hex format to stdout. If OFILE is '-' then data is dumped in binary to stdout. This option is ignored if --request is not specified. -r, --request=RLEN Expect to receive up to RLEN bytes of data from the DEVICE. RLEN may be suffixed with 'k' to use kilobytes (1024 bytes) instead of bytes. This option and --send are mutually exclusive. -s, --send=SLEN Read SLEN bytes of data, either from stdin or from a file, and send them to the DEVICE. This option and --request are mutually exclusive. -t, --timeout=SEC Wait up to SEC seconds for command completion (default: 20). Note that if a command times out the operating system may start by aborting the command and if that is unsuccessful it may attempt to reset the device. -v, --verbose Increase level of verbosity. Can be used multiple times. -V, --version Display version and license information and exit. EXAMPLES
sg_raw /dev/scd0 1b 00 00 00 02 00 Eject the medium in CD drive /dev/scd0. sg_raw -r 1k /dev/sg0 12 00 00 00 60 00 Perform an INQUIRY on /dev/sg0 and dump the response data (up to 1024 bytes) to stdout. sg_raw -s 512 -i i512.bin /dev/sda 3b 02 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 Showing an example of writing 512 bytes to a sector on a disk is a little dangerous. Instead this example will read i512.bin (assumed to be 512 bytes long) and use the SCSI WRITE BUFFER command to send it to the "data" buffer (that is mode 2). This is a safe operation. sg_raw -r 512 -o o512.bin /dev/sda 3c 02 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 This will use the SCSI READ BUFFER command to read 512 bytes from the "data" buffer (i.e. mode 2) then write it to the o512.bin file. When used in conjunction with the previous example, if both commands work then 'cmp i512.bin o512.bin' should show a match. EXIT STATUS
The exit status of sg_raw is 0 when it is successful. Otherwise see the sg3_utils(8) man page. AUTHOR
Written by Ingo van Lil REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <inguin at gmx dot de>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001-2008 Ingo van Lil This software is distributed under the GPL version 2. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. SEE ALSO
sg_opcodes sg_vpd(sg3_utils), hdparm(hdparm), sgdiag(scsirastools) sg3_utils-1.26 May 2008 SG_RAW(8)