Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Size of swap partition during installation Post 302353941 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 16th of September 2009 03:02:00 PM
Old 09-16-2009
Not entirely. Ample paging space may enable you to fit more processes into RAM - even if no actual pageouts occur - while maintaining system stability. This has to do with the nature of demand paging.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap Partition Space

first of all, sorry about my english...I´m a spanish newbie to this marvelous OS and i have just a couple of doubts...u know? :-) 1) how big should my swap partition be if i installed debian 2.2r3 or FreeBSD 4.x on a AMD k7 1400Mhz with 512Mb of Random Access Memory? i heard that those OS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: I[X]ION
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Swap Partition

How big do I set the swap partition when i'm setting up my hard drive to install RedHat. (Using Partition Magic) thanks! primal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of swap

Hy all, i've a little problem with the size of the swap. I've an old solaris machine, with 4Go, and swap is taking 500Mo for only 1% used at any time. So : how can i change this size without problems ????? (ok it may be a stupid question, but it's a real problem when you lose about 1 or 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux/Windows Fat32 Swap partition.

I run a dual boot WinXP/Red Hat 8 system on my laptop. Since my hard drive is inherently small(laptop) I am trying to creat a swap partition for keeping mutually used files such as music/video etc... I have created a 2.5GB Fat32 partition with Partition Magic Pro and have windows recognizing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djtrippin
2 Replies

5. Linux

swap partition?

What does a swap partition do exactly? I was messing arround with a linux machine at my school and i deleted the swap partition using fdisk and then rebooted the machine and it worked fine and wrote a swap partition back in...lol. Is it a nessary part of the OS to use that partition? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
7 Replies

6. Linux

How to give UUID to a swap partition?

Dear Folks Is there anyway to give a UUID to a swap partition? mkswap on CentOS 5 (util-linux-2.13-0.45.el5_1.1) appears to override this option ;-( # swapoff -a # mkswap -L swap1 /dev/sda3 Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 4293591 kB LABEL=swap1, no uuid And there's no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
3 Replies

7. Solaris

swap partition showing mounted in df -h

Dear All Anyone can help me what is the problem of swap partition? swap partition is showing mounted in df -h command output. Regards prakash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pshelke
1 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partition 1 swap not mounting ?

Hi, running mount, I get the following, no part1 swap as part1 swap has been created and is listed below. System works fine anyway. As I cannot unmount part1, what is a standard procedure to make part1 on. Jack ============= .. $ free total used free shared buffers cached Mem:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

Could I mount a swap/dump partition on /tmp?

Hey Guys. Let show our disk-mapping structure on HP-UX B11.11 with df : # df /home (/dev/vg00/lvol5 ): 18979652 blocks 1224395 i /opt (/dev/vg00/lvol4 ): 120276192 blocks 1894100 i /var (/dev/vg00/lvol6 ): 19380328 blocks ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aggadtech08
3 Replies

10. Solaris

/tmp size is less whereas size allocated to swap is more

Hi, the /tmp size is less whereas the size allocated to swap is quite big. how to increase the size of /tmp - #: swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/md/dsk/d20 85,20 8 273096 273096 #: swap -s total: 46875128k bytes allocated + 2347188k reserved =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psb74
2 Replies
SWAPON(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SWAPON(8)

NAME
swapon, swapoff - enable/disable devices and files for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
/sbin/swapon [-h -V] /sbin/swapon -a [-v] [-e] /sbin/swapon [-v] [-p priority] specialfile ... /sbin/swapon [-s] /sbin/swapoff [-h -V] /sbin/swapoff -a /sbin/swapoff specialfile ... DESCRIPTION
Swapon is used to specify devices on which paging and swapping are to take place. Calls to swapon normally occur in the system multi-user initialization file /etc/rc making all swap devices available, so that the paging and swapping activity is interleaved across several devices and files. Normally, the first form is used: -h Provide help -V Display version -s Display swap usage summary by device. Equivalent to "cat /proc/swaps". Not available before Linux 2.1.25. -a All devices marked as ``swap'' swap devices in /etc/fstab are made available. Devices that are already running as swap are silently skipped. -e When -a is used with swapon, -e makes swapon silently skip devices that do not exist. -p priority Specify priority for swapon. This option is only available if swapon was compiled under and is used under a 1.3.2 or later kernel. priority is a value between 0 and 32767. See swapon(2) for a full description of swap priorities. Add pri=value to the option field of /etc/fstab for use with swapon -a. Swapoff disables swapping on the specified devices and files. When the -a flag is given, swapping is disabled on all known swap devices and files (as found in /proc/swaps or /etc/fstab). NOTE
You should not use swapon on a file with holes. Swap over NFS may not work. SEE ALSO
swapon(2), swapoff(2), fstab(5), init(8), mkswap(8), rc(8), mount(8) FILES
/dev/hd?? standard paging devices /dev/sd?? standard (SCSI) paging devices /etc/fstab ascii filesystem description table HISTORY
The swapon command appeared in 4.0BSD. Linux 1.x 25 September 1995 SWAPON(8)