Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help with simple unix file copy and output in directories Post 302353938 by euspilapteryx on Wednesday 16th of September 2009 02:49:28 PM
Old 09-16-2009
Thank you very much! This is very helpful!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Copy Directories in to UNIX server

I have software on Z drive " I map it " , its about 50 MB , I want to copy the whole directory in to unix server , under some folder ... What are the steps how Ican perform this ? I have UNIX user name and password and rights to create files and folders.. Remember I want to copy all the folder... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khan1978
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to copy the text output from a 'nohup.out' file.

Hello, I have a nohup.out file that, when executed, outputs a spreadsheet file with four-to-seven columns of number. I want to copy this output (in its entirety), so that I could then paste it on excel@ , or Notepad@. Please help, thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iamthe great
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy single file to multiple directories

Please help - I need to copy a single file to multiple directories. Dir structure: Parent_Directoy Filename1 Child_Directory1 Child_Directory2 Child_Directory3 Child_Directory4 .... So I need to copy Filename1 to all of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy file into directories and sub-directories

Hello- I need to copy a file into multiple directories, and each directory's sub-directories (of which there are 5) Currently, the parent directory is set up like this: dir1 sub-dir1 sub-dir2 sub-dir3 sub-dir4 sub-dir5 dir2 sub-dir1 sub-dir2 sub-dir3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penlok
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me with this simple file copy from Unix

Hello, Imagine I am on a Unix system, connected to server via telnet. I do 'ls' and I see the file listed - OK. Filename=ems.log. Then I need to copy such file from this server to my Windows network share \\windowsserver\myshare\smith. How can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marlon2010
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy tail output to an external file in perl

The below code works to tail client.log file. but I want to copy the output into an external file /home/tail.txt Can anyone please help. #!/opt/bin/perl -w open my $pipe, "-|", "/usr/bin/tail", "/var/log/client.log" or die "could not start tail on /var/log/client.log : $!"; print while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy file using unix in multiple directories

Hi All Genious, I want to copy a file name XYZ .In a directory /HOME/dir/IXOS1/dir1 which contain multiple directories named not in pattern want to copy the XYZ in all of the directories available on path /HOME/dir/IXOS1/dir1 . Thanks in advance . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy particular file from directories recursively

I have directory path in which there are several sub directories. In all these sub dir there will be one env.cnf file. I want to copy this env.cnf file from each sub dir's and place them in destination path by creating same filename as sub dir_env.cnf. After copying env.cnf files from source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy directories in make file

LD:=C:/WindRiver/diab/5.9.3.0/WIN32/bin/dld.exe CFILES:=$(wildcard *.c) OBJFILES:=$(subst .c,.o, $(CFILES)) OBJ_PATH:=$(PRJ_PATH)/out/ ADDOBJFILES := $(addprefix $(OBJ_PATH),$(OBJFILES)) FILES:=C:/EB/tresos/workspace/Test_Spi/output/src copyfiles: cp ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ushacy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching between directories and mkdir/copy dir/file

I was trying to copy the files inside the path /home/user/check/Q1/dir/folder1/expected/n/a1.out1 and a1.out2 and a1.out3 to /home/user/check/Q2/dir/folder1/expected/n/ if n directory is not present at Q2/dir/folder1/expected/ then directory should be created first. And, script follow the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
5 Replies
GENDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							GENDIFF(1)

NAME
gendiff - utility to aid in error-free diff file generation SYNOPSIS
gendiff <directory> <diff-extension> DESCRIPTION
gendiff is a rather simple script which aids in generating a diff file from a single directory. It takes a directory name and a "diff- extension" as its only arguments. The diff extension should be a unique sequence of characters added to the end of all original, unmodi- fied files. The output of the program is a diff file which may be applied with the patch program to recreate the changes. The usual sequence of events for creating a diff is to create two identical directories, make changes in one directory, and then use the diff utility to create a list of differences between the two. Using gendiff eliminates the need for the extra, original and unmodified directory copy. Instead, only the individual files that are modified need to be saved. Before editing a file, copy the file, appending the extension you have chosen to the filename. I.e. if you were going to edit somefile.cpp and have chosen the extension "fix", copy it to somefile.cpp.fix before editing it. Then edit the first copy (somefile.cpp). After editing all the files you need to edit in this fashion, enter the directory one level above where your source code resides, and then type $ gendiff somedirectory .fix > mydiff-fix.patch You should redirect the output to a file (as illustrated) unless you want to see the results on stdout. SEE ALSO
diff(1), patch(1) AUTHOR
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Mon Jan 10 2000 GENDIFF(1)