Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cut command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cut command Post 302353912 by xtreams on Wednesday 16th of September 2009 01:09:15 PM
Old 09-16-2009
Thanks Vidyadhar.
That works....

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CUT Command

Hi, Can anyone tell me if I can apply multiple cut on a single variable like below in a sh script: tmp=`cut -c 1-4 $val` tmp1=`cut -c 5-12 $val` tmp2=`cut -c 13-18 $val` If not, what is the other way to do this. Thanks and Best Regards Shoeb (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb_syed
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut Command help

Hi , I am new to Unix.I have a shell script whenere I wnat to find if a particular server is running and kill all the instances of it (running on different ports) script filename to start the srever is say abcd If i do ps -eaf | grep abc I get all the instances of srever running .In the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shradham
1 Replies

3. AIX

Use of Cut Command

Hi All, Can anyone tell me how to use cut command?I have tried but its not working...Please find the details below : $ cat file1 SlNo. E_ID E_Name Age Dept 1 123 A 20 Electrical 2 124 B 20 Electronics 3 125 C 24 Computer 4 126 D 23 Mechanical ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puja Sharma
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut command help

n2=user1 pts/3 2010-06-29 01 Now i want to split this string with space(' ') character. After splitting output would be: use1 pts/3 2010-06-29 01 I did: nn=${n2} | cut -d ' ' -f2 echo ${nn} It prints nothing. I want the output: pts/3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

7. AIX

Need help on cut command

HI, i have data in one variable like out=/usr/sbin/filename and i want output like only out=filename how to do (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command

Hi All, I am a beginner learning shell script, Would it be possible to use -c and -f in cut command together ? Example : /opt/oracle/work/Antony/Shell_Script> cat shortlist 2233|a.k. shukula |g.m. |sales2 |12/12/52 |6000 1006|chanchal singhvi ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
SYNCTREE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SYNCTREE(1)

NAME
synctree - synchronize directory trees. SYNOPSIS
synctree [-iuf] [[user1@]machine1:]dir1 [[user2@]machine2:]dir2 DESCRIPTION
Synctree synchronizes the directory tree rooted at dir2 with dir1. It walks recursively through both trees, and deletes and adds files in dir2 to make it equal to dir1. Mode, owner and group are set for each file unless the -u flag is given. In its normal mode of operation, synctree will ask if it may delete or add directories assuming that you don't want to. Non-directories are simply deleted or added, but synctree will ask if it needs to update a normal file with a default answer of 'y'. Simply typing return will choose the default answer, typing end-of-file is like typing return to this question and all other questions. You can specify a hostname and user-id to be used to access dir1 or dir2. Synctree will use rsh(1) to run a copy of itself on the remote machine. The call interface mimics that of rcp(1), but you can use more than one user@machine prefix if you want to make things really interesting. Hard links are enforced, an update is done by first deleting the old file so that links to unknown files are broken. Links to files within dir2 will be restored. If either directory contains the file .backup, then this file will be used as an alternate inode table. This allows one to make a backup copy of a file tree full of special files and differing user-ids on a remote machine under an unpriviledged user-id. OPTIONS
-i Ask for permission (with default answer 'n') to delete or add any file or directory. -u Only install newer files, i.e. merge the directory trees. -f Don't ask, think 'yes' on any question. SEE ALSO
remsync(1), cpdir(1), rsh(1), rcp(1), perror(3). DIAGNOSTICS
Messages may come from three different processes. One named "Slave" running in dir1, one named "Master" running in dir2, and synctree itself in a mediator role. The mediator will also perform the task of either the master or the slave if one of them is running locally. You need to know this to interpret the error messages coming from one of these processes. The messages are normally based on perror(3). Failure to contact a remote machine will be reported by rsh. Synctree should have a zero exit status if no errors have been encountered. BUGS
Directory dir2 will be created without asking. The master and slave processes get their error output mixed up sometimes (nice puzzle). The local and remote machine must use the same file type encoding. The link replacement strategy may lead to lack of space on a small device. Let synctree run to completion and then rerun it to pick up the pieces. Letting the local process keep its "synctree" name may be a mistake. It talks too much. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot, (kjb@cs.vu.nl) SYNCTREE(1)