Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting removing carriage returns in text file Post 302353646 by vidyadhar85 on Tuesday 15th of September 2009 09:51:50 PM
Old 09-15-2009
no need of script this sed oneliner will do it..
Code:
sed -ne 'H
/^$/{x
s/\n/;/g
s/;//
p
}' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing carriage return characters from file

Hello there, I need to remove carriage return characters (\n and \r) from any input file specified. This is what I am doing right now: - dumping the file to octal format using the command 'od -c file_name - removing and \s and \n characters using sed commands What I need to do now is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: b1saini
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces and carriage returns in 'here documents'

As the title suggests, i am having some trouble figuring out how to pass spaces and carriage returns to a 'here document' ie #!/bin/bash /usr/local/install_script.sh <<SCRIPT yes no <pass carriage retun here> yes no <pass a space and then a carriage return here> exit SCRIPT any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing carriage returns with sed

How do we delete all carriage returns after a particular string using sed inside a K Shell? e.g. I have a text file named file1 below: $ more file1 Group#=1 User=A Role=a1 Group#=2 User=B Role=a1 Role=b1 Group#=3 User=C Role=b1 I want the carriage returns to be delete on the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing thousand of carriage returns using sed

I need to replace thousands of carriage returns/line breaks in a large xml file and with spaces. I hope to do so with a script, called, for example, "removeCRs." I would invoke this at the command line as ml5003$ sed -f /Users/ml5003/removeCRs oldFile > newFile The script, I presume, would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ml5003
4 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Adding carriage returns to file using sed/awk

Hello, I need help adding carriage returns at specific intervals (say 692 characters) to a text file that's one continous string. I'm working in AIX5.3. Any quick help is appreciated. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of carriage returns from a comma delimited file

Hi, I have a file which is having some carriage return in one of the field for which single line is coming in multiple lines. I want to combine all those multiple lines of that field into one line. Eg: Input: Id, Name, Location, Comments, Dept 2, John, US, I am from US. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahish20
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add a Couple of Carriage returns to text file

I have a directory of over a hundred text files that I'm getting ready to merge with the CAT command. However there is only one space after each file; this makes the output look crowded. I would like to add two, possibly even four carriage returns at the end of each text file to make the final... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tg3793
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Carriage return in a file after particular string

Hi All, I want to remove carriage return in a file using some unix command without writing a script my file is as follows abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 I want the output as follows: abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 abc1 abc2 abc3 abc4 abc5 bac6 , Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish8484
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

TR not removing carriage returns

I have a CSV with carriage returns in place of newlines. I am trying to use tr to remove them, but it isn't working. Academic year,Term,Course name,Period,Last name,Nickname 2012-2013,First Semester,English 12,4th Period,Arnold,Adam 2012-2013,First Semester,English 12,4th Period,Adams,Jim... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing carriage returns from multiple lines in multiple files of different number of columns

Hello Gurus, I have a multiple pipe separated files which have records going over multiple Lines. End of line separator is \n and records going over multiple lines have <CR> as separator. below is example from one file. 1|ABC DEF|100|10 2|PQ RS T|200|20 3| UVWXYZ|300|30 4| GHIJKL|400|40... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dJHa
7 Replies
Locale::Script(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Locale::Script(3)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-06-03 Locale::Script(3)