Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to handle errors during script execution Post 302353471 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 15th of September 2009 11:54:22 AM
Old 09-15-2009
Please show us the place in the code where you prompt the user and read input.
Can we assume the script runs interactively?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to handle sql loader errors in unix

hi all, how to handle sql loader errors in unix shell ?? thanks in advance gemini (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gemini106
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Database handle to a child script using exec

Hello, Can I pass a database handle created in parent script to a child script triggered using exec ?? Parent script ========= $dbh =DBI->connect{......); # Db handle creation $param1 =10; # parameter one exec "childscript.pl $param1 $dbh "; # executing childscript.pl with two parameters... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbhai
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

i'm new to shell can handle this script for me plz

Write a shell script named displayargs that prints FOUR lines. The first line tells the name that was used to invoke the script, the second line tells how many parameters there were, the third line tells what the last parameter was, and the fourth line tells what the first parameter was. For... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedah160
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help to handle the expect script issue

Hi experts I know the expect script can match the terminal output to run the the following cmd I write a script with expect named "test", I want to run ten "test" with background running, for ((i=1;i<=10;i++) do ./test -n $i done I find all the output of test will print on one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle errors and warnings

Hi Guys, I am working on a shell script(main script) where in i have to call another script B and pass parameter to that script. I see that the shell script that is being called in the main script is throwing warnings/fatal errors. So i am just wondering how do i capture these and ask the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stunnerz_84
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with execution errors in script

solution found.... Please use tags for scripts, listings, and console output (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiolord
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to handle errors during SFTP

Hi, I have written a script that sftp's files from linux box to a IBM machine. Can anybody help me how to handle any errors during SFTP file transfer. I am writing the SFTP commands onto a file and executing that as you can see below. while read line do if ] && ]; then echo "put... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkiran77
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handle occasional condition in expect script

Hi, I am using Solaris OS, I want to handle an occasional expression in expect script while logging into a remote server with ssh. In normal scenario the expected expression is as below, spawn ssh $user@$ip expect "assword:" send "$password\r" but in a condition when the remote server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varunksharma87
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need exception handle for this script

Hi This is script to move log files from one location to other which is working fine. I need to add exception handling in this new to scripting. Please help #!/bin/ksh DB=QACCABOP dumppath='/udb/udbpa032/dump_data/offshore/Tran_logs' msg='/udb/udbpa032/utilities/DBAscripts/msg/msg.out'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mathew_paul
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Abort the execution if one script have errors

Gents, I have a script which will run others scripts . Example #!/bin/bash script1 script2 script3 script4 I would like to stop all process if any of the script got errors?. If for example script1 works fine will continue script2, then if the script2 got errors, The bash should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD