Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replied new files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replied new files Post 302353413 by sidorenko on Tuesday 15th of September 2009 09:51:36 AM
Old 09-15-2009
in such cases I'm usually using 'find' command. Below is one possible solution. (Here we need basename in one place, since 'find' adds relative path in front of found files)
Code:
# your source/target directory may change
# so save it better in a variable
SRC_DIR="/incoming/"
TRG_DIR="/replicate/"

# looking for all files in source directory
# dereferencing soft links, not going deeper in
# subdirs - just as you wanted :-)
for filename in $(find -L $SRC_DIR -maxdepth 1 -type f)
do
    # looking if corresponding file does not exist in target directory
    if ! test -e "${TRG_DIR}$(basename $filename)"
    then
        # copy if it doesn't
        cp ${filename}  ${TRG_DIR}
    fi
    # don't sleep on your workplace :-)
    #sleep 30
done

I've commented 'sleep' because I think that it would be better to add the execution of your script to crontab.

Last edited by sidorenko; 09-15-2009 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: code comments added

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Message Never got replied.

Hi, I had put up a post a couple of days back. I haven't got any replies yet. Now it's become old so the chances of it been seen by anybody is very less let alone answering it. Please tell me what I should do now? Should I create a new thread with the same contents again? Regd, M. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahatma
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retrieve all the linked script files/ctl files/sql files?

Hi I am going to migrate our datawarehouse system from HP Tru 64 Unix to the Red Hat Linux. Inside the box, it is running around 40 cron jobs; inside each cron job, it is calling other shell script files, and the shell script files may again call other shell script files or ctl files(for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: franksubramania
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract data from indexed files (ISAM files) maintained in an unix server.

Hi, Could someone please assist on a quick way of How to extract data from indexed files (ISAM files) maintained in an UNIX(AIX) server.The file data needs to be extracted in flat text file or CSV or excel format . Usually we have programs in microfocus COBOL to extract data, but would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: devina
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

write a program in c in unix that display the files(includ sub-direc and files within) in a sorted

the sorting is based on name of file, file size modification time stamps o f file it should dislay the output in the following format "." and ".." enteries should be ignored please give some idea how to do it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pappu kumar jha
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a shell script to extract the files from source file and check whether those files existonserve

Hi, I am new to shell scripting.Please help me on this.I am using solaris 10 OS and shell i am using is # echo $0 -sh My requirement is i have source file say makefile.I need to extract files with extensions (.c |.cxx |.h |.hxx |.sc) from the makefile.after doing so i need to check whether... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create zip/gz/tar files for if the files are older than particular days in UNIX or Linux?

I need a script file for backup (zip or tar or gz) of old log files in our unix server (causing the space problem). Could you please help me to create the zip or gz files for each log files in current directory and sub-directories also? I found one command which is to create gz file for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mallikgm
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script replied multiple process for file has successfully created

Hi All, I have written the following code do FILE_NO=$(echo $LINE|awk -F"|" '{print $1}'|tr "'" '+'|sed 's/\(.*\)\(++\)\(.*\)\(++\)/\3/') INST_NO=$(echo $LINE|awk -F"|" '{print $2}'|tr "'" '+'|sed 's/\(.*\)\(++\)\(.*\)\(++\)/\3/') if ] then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogendra.barode
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Automate splitting of files , scp files as each split completes and combine files on target server

i use the split command to split a one terabyte backup file into 10 chunks of 100 GB each. The files are split one after the other. While the files is being split, I will like to scp the files one after the other as soon as the previous one completes, from server A to Server B. Then on server B ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaika
2 Replies
SLEEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep -- suspend execution for an interval of time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds DESCRIPTION
The sleep utility suspends execution for a minimum of seconds. It is usually used to schedule the execution of other commands (see EXAMPLES below). Note: The NetBSD sleep command will accept and honor a non-integer number of specified seconds. This is a non-portable extension, and its use will nearly guarantee that a shell script will not execute properly on another system. When the SIGINFO signal is received, the estimate of the amount of seconds left to sleep is printed on the standard output. EXIT STATUS
The sleep utility exits with one of the following values: 0 On successful completion, or if the signal SIGALRM was received. >0 An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To schedule the execution of a command for 1800 seconds later: (sleep 1800; sh command_file >& errors)& This incantation would wait half an hour before running the script command_file. (See the at(1) utility.) To reiteratively run a command (with csh(1)): while (1) if (! -r zzz.rawdata) then sleep 300 else foreach i (*.rawdata) sleep 70 awk -f collapse_data $i >> results end break endif end The scenario for a script such as this might be: a program currently running is taking longer than expected to process a series of files, and it would be nice to have another program start processing the files created by the first program as soon as it is finished (when zzz.rawdata is created). The script checks every five minutes for the file zzz.rawdata, when the file is found, then another portion processing is done courteously by sleeping for 70 seconds in between each awk job. SEE ALSO
at(1), nanosleep(2), sleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
August 13, 2011 BSD