Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Manipulating input into the shell "read" command Post 302353279 by kingpin2502 on Tuesday 15th of September 2009 04:09:16 AM
Old 09-15-2009
Fantastic, Works a treat.. Much appreciated..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Giving "read" from standard input a timeout.

I want to prompt a user for input but I want it to timeout after a specified time if no response is given. I tried the sleep command but this does not work. I am using ksh. Thanks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rello
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking input with "read" command

In this post, Perderabo's script says echo 05/06/25 14:15:56 | IFS=" /:" read Y1 M1 D1 h1 m1 s1 which, if I am not wrong, will break the input into Y1, M1 et al. I tried the following in my code #! /bin/ksh # per.sh typeset -R2 HOUR=00 typeset -R2 MIN=00 typeset -R2 SEC=00 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum input file size in "Diff" Command

Hello, Can anyone let me know what is the maximum file size that can be given as input for the "Diff" Command in Unix? I have a file size as large as 28MB and which can also increase. Will I face any issues with such a file size. If yes, What is the other alternative. Thanks in advance for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neeraja
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid "Too many arguments" error, when passing a long String literal as input to a command?

Hi, I am using awk here. Inside an awk script, I have a variable which contains a very long XML data in string format (500kb). I want to pass this data (as argument) to curl command using system function. But getting Too many arguments error due to length of string data(payloadBlock). I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
4 Replies
EXIGREP(8)						      System Manager's Manual							EXIGREP(8)

NAME
EXIGREP - Search Exim's main log SYNOPSIS
exigrep [-l] pattern [log file] ... DESCRIPTION
The exigrep utility is a Perl script that searches one or more main log files for entries that match a given pattern. When it finds a match, it extracts all the log entries for the relevant message, not just those that match the pattern. Thus, exigrep can extract complete log entries for a given message, or all mail for a given user, or for a given host, for example. The -l flag means 'literal', that is, treat all characters in the pattern as standing for themselves. Otherwise the pattern must be a Perl regular expression. The pattern match is case-insensitive. If no file names are given on the command line, the standard input is read. If the location of a zcat command is known from the definition of ZCAT_COMMAND in Local/Makefile, exigrep automatically passes any file whose name ends in COMPRESS_SUFFIX through zcat as it searches it. BUGS
This manual page needs a major re-work. If somebody knows better groff than us and has more experience in writing manual pages, any patches would be greatly appreciated. SEE ALSO
exim(8), perlre(1), /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/ AUTHOR
This manual page was stitched together from spec.txt by Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). March 26, 2003 EXIGREP(8)