Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using links with wildcards in bash. Post 302353202 by cop02ia on Monday 14th of September 2009 09:49:04 PM
Old 09-14-2009
I see.
Seems like I might have made a mistake in when popping/pushing directories around.
Well, it's a bit too late to backtrack & pinpoint now. I might as well stick to full directory paths & use 'for' loops to be safer.
Thanks!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Links - BASH Script

Hi all, This is my first message in this forum. I'd like to know if there is a nice way to get the complete path from a symbolic link. Example: When I do a ls -ltr I see this output. lrwxr-xr-x 1 mmmm users 66 Sep 4 09:58 LINK_SEND ->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rodrimuino
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Hard Links and Soft or Sym links

When loooking at files in a directory using ls, how can I tell if I have a hard link or soft link? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
11 Replies

8. AIX

List all the soft links and hard links

Hi I'm logged in as root in an aix box Which command will list all the soft links and hard links present in the server ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies
createhomedir(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  createhomedir(1)

NAME
createhomedir -- create and populate home directories on the local computer. SYNOPSIS
createhomedir [-scbalh] [-n directoryDomainName] [-u username] DESCRIPTION
createhomedir provides several options for creating and populating home directories. OPTIONS
-s creates home directories for server home paths only (default). -c creates home directories for local home paths only. -b creates home directories for both server and local home paths. -a creates home directories for users defined in all directory domains of the server's search path. -l creates home directories for users defined in the local directory domain. -n directoryDomainName creates home directories for users defined in a specific directory domain in the server's search path. -u username creates a home directory for a specific user defined in the domain(s) identified in the -a, -l, or -n parameter. If you omit the -a, -l, and -n parameters when you use the -u parameter, -a is assumed. -i reads username list from standard input and creates specified home directories. Each username should be on its own line. -h usage help. FILES
/usr/sbin/createhomedir location of tool CAVEATS
When using the -a option, search limits of various directory servers (such as Open Directory or Active Directory) can prevent all possible home directories from being created. In this case, you may need to specify the usernames explicitly. Mac OS X June 1, 2019 Mac OS X