Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl count of character.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl count of character. Post 302353009 by coolbhai on Monday 14th of September 2009 08:41:05 AM
Old 09-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji_red83
Coolbhai,

Hope this helps,

Solution 1:
Code:

my $input = '1234';
my $result = grep /./,split(//,$input);
print $result;

Solution 2:

Code:

my $input = '1234';
my @result;
my $result = @result = $input =~/./g;
print $result;

Sorry it wont solve the question...

$input =~/./g; # Gives each element of string
@result = $input =~/./g; # Each element of string is pushed into @result array
$result = @result = $input =~/./g; # $result hold length of @result. ,ie 4

It will give the length of the string
coolbhai

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

hw can i count the number of character in a file by perl

i want to count the number of character contained in afile using perl cript help me out (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trupti_rinku
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

count character

Hi, I am reading a string from a file. now i want to count the number of chareacter in the string and if it is more then 8 capture only last 8 characters. ex. string=mypassword <<do something>> output should be: string=password Thanks for you help. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: myguess21
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

character count of my document?

In Vi, how do I get a character count of my document? Also, in: ls -l I see the number 435, is that in bytes? Thanks:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JudoMan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

character count per record

Hello can someone please advise. I need to send records in a file that are over 10,000 characters long to a seperate file. Any ideas? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dolph
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurences of a character in a field defined by the character in another field

Hello, I have a text file with n lines in the following format (9 column fields): Example: contig00012 149606 G C 49 68 60 18 c$cccccacccccccccc^c I need to count the number of lower-case and upper-case occurences in column 9, respectively, of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count character in one line

Please check the attachment for the example. Purpose: count how many "|" character in one line and also display the line number. expect result: Line 1 : there are 473 "|" characters Line 2 : there are 473 "|" characters I have tried to use awk to count it, it's ok when the statistic... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambious
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - count character count of fields

Hello All, I got a requirement when I was working with a file. Say the file has unloads of data from a table in the form 1|121|asda|434|thesi|2012|05|24| 1|343|unit|09|best|2012|11|5| I was put into a scenario where I need the field count in all the lines in that file. It was simply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character Count in script

#!/bin/ksh read name read mobile echo $name | wc -m Nunberchar=`echo $name |wc -m` echo $Nunberchar I write something above, however the char count is wrong, it always count the $ , how to avoid it ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakurai2601
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain character in a filename and count the characters up to the certain character

Hello, I do have folders containing having funny strings in their names and one space. First, I do remove the funny strings and replace the space by an underscore. find . -name '* *' | while read file; do target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
TAP::Parser::Multiplexer(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			     TAP::Parser::Multiplexer(3pm)

NAME
TAP::Parser::Multiplexer - Multiplex multiple TAP::Parsers VERSION
Version 3.26 SYNOPSIS
use TAP::Parser::Multiplexer; my $mux = TAP::Parser::Multiplexer->new; $mux->add( $parser1, $stash1 ); $mux->add( $parser2, $stash2 ); while ( my ( $parser, $stash, $result ) = $mux->next ) { # do stuff } DESCRIPTION
"TAP::Parser::Multiplexer" gathers input from multiple TAP::Parsers. Internally it calls select on the input file handles for those parsers to wait for one or more of them to have input available. See TAP::Harness for an example of its use. METHODS
Class Methods "new" my $mux = TAP::Parser::Multiplexer->new; Returns a new "TAP::Parser::Multiplexer" object. Instance Methods "add" $mux->add( $parser, $stash ); Add a TAP::Parser to the multiplexer. $stash is an optional opaque reference that will be returned from "next" along with the parser and the next result. "parsers" my $count = $mux->parsers; Returns the number of parsers. Parsers are removed from the multiplexer when their input is exhausted. "next" Return a result from the next available parser. Returns a list containing the parser from which the result came, the stash that corresponds with that parser and the result. my ( $parser, $stash, $result ) = $mux->next; If $result is undefined the corresponding parser has reached the end of its input (and will automatically be removed from the multiplexer). When all parsers are exhausted an empty list will be returned. if ( my ( $parser, $stash, $result ) = $mux->next ) { if ( ! defined $result ) { # End of this parser } else { # Process result } } else { # All parsers finished } See Also TAP::Parser TAP::Harness perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 TAP::Parser::Multiplexer(3pm)