Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming UPDATE statement: calculating changes Post 302352929 by figaro on Monday 14th of September 2009 05:00:02 AM
Old 09-14-2009
UPDATE statement: calculating changes

The problem I was working on is solved, but felt it would be worthwhile to ask for some opinions as to whether the approach can actually be improved.
I am using the following example and data taken from SQL datetime calculations and MySQL 5.1:

Code:
CREATE TABLE `data` (
  `id` INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `datetime` datetime NOT NULL,
  `temperature` float NOT NULL,
  `change` float NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (id)) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

INSERT INTO `data` (`datetime`, `temperature`) VALUES ('2009-01-01 06:07:08','70.4')
,('2009-01-01 06:08:08','62.1')
,('2009-01-01 06:09:08','78.8')
,('2009-01-01 07:08:09','72.6')
,('2009-01-01 07:08:10','63.2')
,('2009-01-01 07:08:11','79.9')
,('2009-01-01 08:09:10','69.3')
,('2009-01-01 11:12:13','64.3')
;

Now, to calculate the changes in temperature, the following query can be used:
Code:
UPDATE data AS D1, data AS D2 SET D1.change = D1.temperature - D2.temperature WHERE D1.id = D2.id + 1;

This works as designed, but requires the need for the data to be sorted first by datetime and - for performance reasons - the addition of an auto-increment called id. Perhaps there are other approaches, which are used commonly in situations where changes in data need to be calculated?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement - How to write a null statement

In my ksh script, if the conditions of a if statement are true, then do nothing; otherwise, execute some commands. How do I write the "do nothing" statement in the following example? Example: if (( "$x"="1" && "$y"="a" && "$z"="happy" )) then do nothing else command command fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is use sselect statement o/p in insert statement.

Hi All, I am using Unix ksh script. I need to insert values to a table using the o/p from a slelect statement. Can anybody Help! My script looks like tihs. ---`sqlplus -s username/password@SID << EOF set heading off set feedback off set pages 0 insert into ${TB_NAME}_D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bash executing Orcale Update statement

Hi All, Using Solaris box bash-3.00$ echo $BASH_VERSION 3.00.16(1)-release I have a real bummer of a bug, basically Im running a bash script that executes a bash function "dbase_sql". The bash function accepts a parameter in the form of an Oracle update statement eg ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satnamx
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pass a variable to an update sql statement inside a loop

hi all, i am experiencing an error which i think an incorrect syntax for the where clause passing a variable was given. under is my code. sqlplus -s ${USERNAME}/${PASSWORD}@${SID} << END1 >> $LOGFILE whenever sqlerror exit set serveroutput on size 1000000 declare l_rc ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryukishin_17
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating the epoch time from standard time using awk and calculating the duration

Hi All, I have the following time stamp data in 2 columns Date TimeStamp(also with milliseconds) 05/23/2012 08:30:11.250 05/23/2012 08:30:15.500 05/23/2012 08:31.15.500 . . etc From this data I need the following output. 0.00( row1-row1 in seconds) 04.25( row2-row1 in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
5 Replies

6. Programming

MYSQL - trigger update on record insert or update

Right I have a MYSQL database with table1 with 3 columns, colA, colB and colC. I want to combine the data in the 3 columns into a 4th column names col_comb. Here's the SQL command that works: UPDATE table1 SET `col_comb` = CONCAT( `colA` , ' - ', `colB` , ', ', `colC` ); So now I want this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update Statement User menu input screen

Hi Guys, Any good reference for me to perform user database update statement on table which has quite number of fields could be updated depend on user specified column name and the value to assign. All the approaches are welcome and appreciated. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckwan123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to apply the update statement in multiple servers on multiple dbs at a time .?

Hi , Can any please help the below requirement on all multiple servers and multiple dbs. update configuration set value='yes' ;1) the above statement apply on 31 Databases at a time on different Ip address eg : 10.104.1.12 (unix ip address ) the above ip box contains 4 db's eg : db... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
2 Replies
PREPARE(7)							   SQL Commands 							PREPARE(7)

NAME
PREPARE - prepare a statement for execution SYNOPSIS
PREPARE name [ ( datatype [, ...] ) ] AS statement DESCRIPTION
PREPARE creates a prepared statement. A prepared statement is a server-side object that can be used to optimize performance. When the PRE- PARE statement is executed, the specified statement is parsed, rewritten, and planned. When an EXECUTE command is subsequently issued, the prepared statement need only be executed. Thus, the parsing, rewriting, and planning stages are only performed once, instead of every time the statement is executed. Prepared statements can take parameters: values that are substituted into the statement when it is executed. When creating the prepared statement, refer to parameters by position, using $1, $2, etc. A corresponding list of parameter data types can optionally be specified. When a parameter's data type is not specified or is declared as unknown, the type is inferred from the context in which the parameter is used (if possible). When executing the statement, specify the actual values for these parameters in the EXECUTE statement. Refer to EXECUTE [execute(7)] for more information about that. Prepared statements only last for the duration of the current database session. When the session ends, the prepared statement is forgotten, so it must be recreated before being used again. This also means that a single prepared statement cannot be used by multiple simultaneous database clients; however, each client can create their own prepared statement to use. The prepared statement can be manually cleaned up using the DEALLOCATE [deallocate(7)] command. Prepared statements have the largest performance advantage when a single session is being used to execute a large number of similar state- ments. The performance difference will be particularly significant if the statements are complex to plan or rewrite, for example, if the query involves a join of many tables or requires the application of several rules. If the statement is relatively simple to plan and re- write but relatively expensive to execute, the performance advantage of prepared statements will be less noticeable. PARAMETERS
name An arbitrary name given to this particular prepared statement. It must be unique within a single session and is subsequently used to execute or deallocate a previously prepared statement. datatype The data type of a parameter to the prepared statement. If the data type of a particular parameter is unspecified or is specified as unknown, it will be inferred from the context in which the parameter is used. To refer to the parameters in the prepared statement itself, use $1, $2, etc. statement Any SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, or VALUES statement. NOTES
In some situations, the query plan produced for a prepared statement will be inferior to the query plan that would have been chosen if the statement had been submitted and executed normally. This is because when the statement is planned and the planner attempts to determine the optimal query plan, the actual values of any parameters specified in the statement are unavailable. PostgreSQL collects statistics on the distribution of data in the table, and can use constant values in a statement to make guesses about the likely result of executing the statement. Since this data is unavailable when planning prepared statements with parameters, the chosen plan might be suboptimal. To exam- ine the query plan PostgreSQL has chosen for a prepared statement, use EXPLAIN [explain(7)]. For more information on query planning and the statistics collected by PostgreSQL for that purpose, see the ANALYZE [analyze(7)] documenta- tion. You can see all available prepared statements of a session by querying the pg_prepared_statements system view. EXAMPLES
Create a prepared statement for an INSERT statement, and then execute it: PREPARE fooplan (int, text, bool, numeric) AS INSERT INTO foo VALUES($1, $2, $3, $4); EXECUTE fooplan(1, 'Hunter Valley', 't', 200.00); Create a prepared statement for a SELECT statement, and then execute it: PREPARE usrrptplan (int) AS SELECT * FROM users u, logs l WHERE u.usrid=$1 AND u.usrid=l.usrid AND l.date = $2; EXECUTE usrrptplan(1, current_date); Note that the data type of the second parameter is not specified, so it is inferred from the context in which $2 is used. COMPATIBILITY
The SQL standard includes a PREPARE statement, but it is only for use in embedded SQL. This version of the PREPARE statement also uses a somewhat different syntax. SEE ALSO
DEALLOCATE [deallocate(7)], EXECUTE [execute(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 PREPARE(7)