Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Locale installation..
Operating Systems Solaris Locale installation.. Post 302352879 by sankasu on Monday 14th of September 2009 02:14:07 AM
Old 09-14-2009
Hi Duke,

I did go through the man page but still have a few queries.
As i had mentioned before i am trying to install the swedish locale.
Below are my queries..

when i do a localeadm -a

The following regions are installed on frtsunserver on Mon Sep 14 11:43:20 IST 2009
POSIX (C)
North America (incomplete) (nam)
[ Canada (English), Canada (French), United States, Mexico ]

Northern Europe (neu)
[ Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway (Bokmal), Norway (Nyorsk), Sweden ]
Korean (korean)
Done.

and when i do a localeadm -q neu. I get the below

# localeadm -q neu
locale/region name is neu
Checking for Northern Europe region (neu)
(c_solaris packages)
|..|
All packages found.
(solaris1 packages)
|...............|
All packages found.
(solaris2 packages)
|.....|
All packages found.
(solaris3 packages)
|Checking for Northern Europe region (neu)
(solaris4 packages)
(solaris5 packages)
(langcd1 packages)
|....................................................|
No packages found.
The Northern Europe region (neu) is installed on this system without messages

Now does the above mean that the locale is already installed.Is there any way of finding out the description of the installed locale.
Or can you guide me with the steps for the installation.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change locale ?

Hi, I have Solaris 7 installed. When I give the command 'locale' from the box, I am getting all the environment variables as 'de' ! I want it to be in English. How do I change the locale ?? TIA, Srinivas. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snsrini
1 Replies

2. Programming

Locale setting

Hi, In the sample program, I am trying to print a Japanese string. The code is as follows: main() { setlocale(LC_ALL,""); printf("String is %S\n", L"JAP"); // Note "JAP" is a valid japanese string } If locale is C, the string gets printed, but if it a valid japanese locale, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dippan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Input Locale

Hi Guys, Any ideas on how to install the zh_CN (Simplified Chinese) input locale for AIX5.2 ? Can't seem to find it any where. S. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpy
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using locale

:confused: Can anyone tell me how to test that locale is working properly in commands like awk, basename, bg, cd, cmp, col, command, csplit, cut, echo, egrep For ex. suppose I have changed locale using LC_ALL=german_germany.8859 export LC_ALL now i want to test(see) it's effect on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alodha
3 Replies

5. AIX

Japanese Locale installation on AIX 5.3

Hi Can anybody tell me where do i find (download) the following filesets for AIX 5.3. These are the dependencies i'm facing while installing Japanese locale from the 5th CD of AIX 5.3 CD bundle. X11.loc.ja_JP.base.rte 5.3.0.0 # AIXwindows Locale Configurat... bos.loc.iso.ja_JP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aditya_930
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Problem in locale installation through solaris 10 cds

Dear All I am in a problem where i have to install en_us locale through solaris 10 05/08 which is in 5 cds as I download from internet. when I use the following command after putting disk 1 of solaris 10 loceladm -a en_us -d /cdrom/cdrom0/s0/Solaris_10/Product It install few packages but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Installation of locale..

Hi All, i am pretty new to sun solaris env.I need to install a french locale onto my machine.Could you please guide me through the steps. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sankasu
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris "System locale" during installation

Hi I install Solaris10 and during this process there is a question "Select the initial locale to be used after the system has been installed " There is plenty of choices and default already selected is POSIX C (C). What should I choose in this list ? Why instalator asks for this question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with Timezone locale.

HI Gurus, I have a issue. One of our applications needs the data loads with the timezone (CST) but our zones run on GMT. I tried to change the TZ value under /etc/default/init value but it seems to effect the the whole zone. Is there any way I can just set up the TZ as CST for a particular user.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Locale changes?

I am upgrading a machine to Solaris 10 and noticed a change that would cause a problem for us. We have always used en_US.ISO8859-1 and selected that when setting up the new system. This is the format on our old system $ date Fri Sep 21 10:35:51 PDT 2012 And this is what I got on our old... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bryan.Eidson
1 Replies
localeadm(1M)															     localeadm(1M)

NAME
localeadm - query and configure locales SYNOPSIS
localeadm [-lcst] [-q locale | region] [-h] [-d device...] [-V] localeadm -r locale | region [-t] [-v] [-m] [-R root_path] localeadm -a locale | region [-t] [-v] [-m] [-d device...] [-R root_path] localeadm -f locale | region [-t] [-v] [-m] [-d device...] [-R root_path] localeadm -h The localeadm utility queries and configures Solaris locales through a command line interface. In query (-q) or list (-l) modes, localeadm displays information about locale packages that are installed on the system or that reside on a particular device or directory. To make it easier for users to pick out locales, the output from localeadm consists of a list of country or region names rather than a list of packages. Users can use the output to determine which locales or regions to add or remove. When the user specifies a locale or region to add or remove using the name given by the output of the list mode, localeadm calculates which locale packages need to be changed and add or remove them. localeadm uses pkgadd(1M) or pkgrm(1M) to add or remove packages. If the locales changed were Asian locales, then extra processes such as input method server daemons might need to be started before the new locales work properly. Once the locales are installed, the user is prompted to either reboot the machine or manually start the daemons. The user is also given a list of daemons which need to be started. All locales are part of a set geographic region. A locale is an indivisible part of a region. You cannot have a locale which doesn't exist in a region, or a region without locales. If you choose to add or remove a particular locale, all of the locales in the region to which it belongs will be added or removed. Likewise, if you query a locale, localeadm checks the system for the region of which the local is part. The following options are supported: -a locale | region Add the packages for locale (locale) or geographic region region to the system. Specify locale or region as the short name displayed by the -l option. For example, the -l option outputs Australa- sia (aua), therefore, the argument for -a is aua. This option requires the -d option with arguments. If necessary packages are already installed, localeadm does not overwrite them. It simply skips such packages. If you use the -a and -m options with a locale that has already been added without message pkgs, it adds the mes- sage pkgs for that locale to the system. Only superusers or others who have been assigned package administration access through role-based access control can use this option. See rbac(5) for information on adding and removing packages. See smc(1M) for information on setting up and adding users to a package manager role. -c Display the locale name with codeset in locale(1) format. Use this option in conjunction with the -l option to display the locale name with codeset in the format shown by the locale(1) command. For example, it displays fr_FR.ISO8859-1 as opposed to french. -d device Install or list locales from packages located in device. Specify device as a full path name to a directory contain- ing Solaris packages or the path to the top directory of a complete Solaris image. You can also specify device as a device alias such as /cdrom/cdrom0, a device nickname as defined by eject(1), or an alternative device nickname such as cdrom, dvd or dvdrom. If the packages are to be installed from a series of CDROM images, then multiple images can be specified in a comma separated list. The same device or nickname can be repeated to indicate multiple loadings of different media at the same device. -f Check the pkgs modified by a previous add or remove operation to ensure all pkgs were added or removed properly. If a pkg was incorrectly added due to a pkgadd or pkgrm failure, the pkg is backed out and reinstalled. Only superusers or others who have been assigned package administration access through role-based access control can use this option. See rbac(5) for information on adding and removing packages. See smc(1M) for information on setting up and adding users to a package manager role. -h Print a short help message. The help message lists all the flags and their usage. -l List all the locales that are installed on the system or available on an install media. The list is sorted by geo- graphic region. When you specify the -d option with -l, localeadm lists all of the locales or regions available on the device pointed to by the -d option arguments. When you do not specify the -d option, localeadm -l lists all of the locales or regions installed on the current system. When you specify the -t option with -l, localeadm lists all of the locales or regions that could possibly be added to the system. -m Deselect translated message packages. By default, with the -a option, localeadm adds the translated message packages for the locale or region specified in the -a option argument. If you use the -a option with -m, the translated message packages for the locale or region will not be added, thus effectively disabling the translated messages support for that locale/region. If used with -r option, localeadm will remove only the translated message packages for the locale or region specified in the -r option argument. If you use the -m option with a locale that has already been added without message pkgs, it adds the message pkgs for that locale to the system. -q locale | region Query the system to see if the locale (locale) or geographic region region are already installed. The expected input for a locale or region name is the name displayed by the -l option. -r locale | region Remove the packages for locale (locale) or geographic region (region) from the system. Specify locale or region as the short name displayed by the -l option. For example, the -l option outputs Australa- sia (aua), therefore, the argument for -a is aua. Only superusers or others who have been assigned package administration access through role-based access control can use this option. See rbac(5) for information on adding and removing packages. See smc(1M) for information on setting up and adding users to a package manager role. -R root_path Define the full path name of a directory to use as the root path. All files, including package system information files, are relocated to a directory tree starting in the specified root_path. You can specify root_path when you install to a client from a server. Note - The root file system of any non-global zones must not be referenced with the -R option. Doing so might dam- age the global zone's file system, might compromise the security of the global zone, and might damage the non-global zone's file system. See zones(5). -s Display only the geographic regions of specific locales or regions. Use this option in conjunction with the -l option to display listed regions or locales. -t Test mode. Use this option with -a, -f or -r to list all operations to be done. It will not actually add or remove packages. Use the this option with -l to list all of the locales or regions that could possibly be added to the system. -v Print out messages produced during a pkgadd or pkgrm command. This option works on localeadm add and remove commands. It does not work on individual pkgadd or pkgrm commands. It displays additional information, but only as part of the larger program. -V Display version information. Example 1: Listing All of the Locales and Codesets The following example lists all of the geographic regions installed on the machine. All locales in the regions are listed by their code- sets: example% localeadm -lc Example 2: Listing the Regions Available on a Solaris CD or DVD The following example command checks the Solaris_10/Product directory of the CD or DVD mounted on /cdrom/cdrom0. It also lists the names of the regions that can be installed from packages in that directory. The -s option displays the region names without any locales. example% localeadm -ls -d /cdrom/cdrom0 Example 3: Querying for a Locale The following example queries whether the Central European region called ceu on the current machine. example% localeadm -q ceu Example 4: Removing Western European Locales The following example removes all packages associated with the Western Europe region from the system, except for those packages needed by other regions. example% localeadm -r weu Example 5: Adding Russian Locales The following example installs the Eastern Europe region, of which Russian locale is a part, from packages located in /net/sparc_images/export/pkgs. example# localeadm -a ru_RU -d /net/sparc_images/export/pkgs Example 6: Adding the Traditional Chinese Locale The following example adds the Traditional Chinese region to the system. This differs from the previous example in that Traditional Chinese is installed as a geographic region rather than just a locale. This is the case for all Asian languages, for example, zh_TW, zh_CN, zh_HK, hi_IN, th_TH, ko_KR, ja. # localeadm -a zh_TW -d /net/sparc_images/export/pkgs The following exit values are returned when you invoke localeadmin without the -q (query) option: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. The following exit values are returned when you invoke localeadmin with the -q (query) option: 0 Successful search. The locale or region was found. 1 Unsuccessful search. The locale or region was not found. 2 An error occurred. /var/sadm/install/logs/localeadmin_install.date /var/sadm/install/logs/localeadmin_uninstall.date Log files for installation and removal operations. date is specified in YYYY_MM_DD format. If a particular day has multiple installs, date has a period (.) followed by a number appended to it, for example, 2003_10_20.1, 2003_10_20.2. /tmp/locales.list File that contains the output of the -l option. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWladm | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ eject(1), locale(1), pkgadd(1M), pkgrm(1M), smc(1M), attributes(5), rbac(5) 6 Apr 2005 localeadm(1M)