Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sed | Awk | Print
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sed | Awk | Print Post 302352186 by TonyFullerMalv on Thursday 10th of September 2009 03:54:20 PM
Old 09-10-2009
suggest you do web searches for FAQs on sed and awk (print being something you do in awk code) and I presume you meant shell code of which tutorials on the web will be equally pentiful.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using awk or sed to print output from one file

dear i have one file regarding >abshabja>sdksjbs>sknakna>snajxcls so i want to be output like >abshabja >sjkabjb >sknakna >snajxcls Any using awk or sed will help thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk print out

guys... i'm currently trying to parse some html code: <tr class="first" name="bc_10934363" class=""><td class="col1"><div class="ctitle">Some text</div><div class="crec" name="pc_10934363"></div><div class="ctext">Some text</div></td><td class="col2"><div class="ctext">SF zwei</div></td><td... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: domi55
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk , Sed Print last 4 numeric characters

Hello All, I have been searching and trying this for a bit now. Can use some assistance. Large 5000 line flat file. bash, rhel5 Input File Sinppet: Fri Oct 30 09:24:02 EDT 2009 -- 1030 Fri Oct 30 09:26:01 EDT 2009 -- 73 Fri Oct 30 09:28:01 EDT 2009 -- 1220 Fri Oct 30 09:30:01 EDT... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: abacus
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/Sed: Search Pattern from file and Print

Hi, I want to search for patterns (from a file) in a file and print the line matching the patterns and the line before it. I have to search for 100s of patterns from a file. Any help with AWK or Sed. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed/awk for reverse search and print

I have a file which is DFDG START DSFDS DSDS XXX END (VIO) AADD START SDSD FGFG END and I have to print the lines between START and END (VIO). In the files there are multiple places where START would be followed by END with few lines in between but I need to print only if START is... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgbuddy
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to print 2nd last word

Hi, I have a file which has the following /usr/new/xyz/abc /us1/neb/yxr/def /usr/bin/cloud1/fgh /net/bin1/txt1/kdq I want to do something like this /usr/new/xyz/abc xyz /us1/neb/yxr/def yxr /usr/bin/cloud1/fgh cloud1 /net/bin1/txt1/kdq txt1 I need to add the 2nd last word to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matbrow
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

print pattern between two variables awk sed

I am trying to print text between two variables in a file I have tried the following things but none seem to work: awk ' /'$a'/ {flag=1;next} /'$b'/{flag=0} flag { print }' file and also sed "/$a/,/$b/p" file But none seem to work Any Ideas? Thanks in Advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumbaba
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk print between different patterns the first occurrence

Thanks for the help yesterday. I have a little modification today, I am trying the following: i have a log file of a webbap which logs in the following pattern: 2011-08-14 21:10:04,535 blablabla ERROR Exception1 blablabla bla bla bla bla 2011-08-14... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppolianidis
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the lines between the pattern using awk/grep/sed?

Hi, I need a help to search a pattern and print the multiple lines between them. Input file: Tue May 29 12:30:33 EDT 2012:threadWebContainer : 357:com.travimp.hotelierlinks.abba.service.RequestHandler.requestService(String, ITICSDataSet): hotelCancelReservation request: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print & and \n while replacing with sed/awk?

string="din&esh\nisgood" File.txt: the name is sed "s#\#${string}#g" File.txt Output am getting: the name is dinesh is good Expected output: the name is din&esh\nisgood The input string is dynamic it will be keep on changing am able to handle & by placing \& in the string.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
5 Replies
COMPILE_ET(1)						      General Commands Manual						     COMPILE_ET(1)

NAME
compile_et - error table compiler SYNOPSIS
compile_et file DESCRIPTION
Compile_et converts a table listing error-code names and associated messages into a C source file suitable for use with the com_err(3) library. The source file name must end with a suffix of ``.et''; the file consists of a declaration supplying the name (up to four characters long) of the error-code table: error_table name followed by up to 256 entries of the form: error_code name, " string " and a final end to indicate the end of the table. The name of the table is used to construct the name of a subroutine initialize_XXXX_error_table which must be called in order for the com_err library to recognize the error table. The various error codes defined are assigned sequentially increasing numbers (starting with a large number computed as a hash function of the name of the table); thus for compatibility it is suggested that new codes be added only to the end of an existing table, and that no codes be removed from tables. The names defined in the table are placed into a C header file with preprocessor directives defining them as integer constants of up to 32 bits in magnitude. A C source file is also generated which should be compiled and linked with the object files which reference these error codes; it contains the text of the messages and the initialization subroutine. Both C files have names derived from that of the original source file, with the ``.et'' suffix replaced by ``.c'' and ``.h''. A ``#'' in the source file is treated as a comment character, and all remaining text to the end of the source line will be ignored. BUGS
Since the original compile_et uses a very simple parser based on yacc(1), and this current version of compile_et uses an awk/sed combina- tion of scripts, its error recovery leaves much to be desired. SEE ALSO
com_err (3). Ken Raeburn, "A Common Error Description Library for UNIX". SIPB
30 Mar 1998 COMPILE_ET(1)