Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Offsite Backup Solution
Operating Systems AIX Offsite Backup Solution Post 302352158 by ITAdmin08 on Thursday 10th of September 2009 02:07:01 PM
Old 09-10-2009
I have a Unix-AIX server that hosts our ERP system. A full backup of the /u2 directory which is a Universe Database is scheduled every night on tape, I also do a mksysb every month on tape manually. What i need to do is backup or put a backup file of the Universe Database onto a server at my other location everyday. The backup could be ran at night and then transfered to the server in the other location, i believe i have the diskspace or it could be done over the network at night as mentioned by Bakunin. There is only roughly 20GB of data being backed up.

I would like to try using rsync, however i have no experience with it at all. I know it's not installed on my server so i would need help getting it installed. I have mostly worked with linux and am a little unsure on how to install programs in unix. It would all have to be done via command line as that is how my system is setup.
I have a WAN setup between locations so it should be easy to get the data there.

Let me know what other info you might need.

thanks for the help.

Last edited by ITAdmin08; 09-10-2009 at 03:23 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

offsite backup for solaris

any hot sites out there for backup of a sun unix server. can't verify my tape backups and want a "disaster recovery" option (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jbksman
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

enterprise backup solution

We are using sun_sparc solaris 2.5.1 with oracle database 8.0.5 We are considering to buy for buying backup software for this purpose . Our systems integrator says veritas could not be installed due to some technical reasons (they are veritas authorised dealer) . And is suggesting Netvault... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitesh Shah
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Sun and backup solution

My company is in the process of building a new datacenter and I am responsible for setting up the backup environment (everything from racking to implementation). I guess it is pretty basic but I don't have much experience with the initial setup. What we have so far is a SunV890 (backup server), Sun... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jshwon
1 Replies

4. AIX

Backup solution

Hello, I'm looking for a backup solution for my system. I have 3 AIX virtual partitions running on a IBM p5 server. Each partition has it's data on a DS4700 storage server. Also, I have a RedHat running on an IBM p720. This server has the tape hardware. I would like to know if I can backup from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enzote
4 Replies

5. Linux

Backup solution

Hi all, i am not sure whether i selected the right topic or not, so excuse me, well i am mainly a Windows admin, but i do *NIX administration from time to time, for now i need to use an open source solution for backup windows environment mainly, i spent last days playing with bacula and backupPC,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
0 Replies

6. Solaris

OpenSource / Free backup and restore solution for Solaris 10

Is there any free /opensource backup&restore solution available for solaris10 i want to backup Solaris10 machine with oracle 9 version. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif_islam
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Considered basic but advanced outcome (Custom Backup Solution)

Ive a problem that I'm reaching out for help. Ive written (With bits and pieces) of script that is not running as expected or is having an issue causing processes to spiral out of control. The script does this: Unloads a UV database server Tars up a few folders Transfers the file to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: coastdweller
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup solution using rsync

Hello All, I am looking at a fast way to script some backups. I am looking at using rsync to do the leg work. I am having a hard time conceiving a script though. I have a tree with subfolders within subfolders. I was looking at the /xd option to parse the tree. Directory of k:\ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvamos
4 Replies
BBACKUPD-CONFIG(8)						    Box Backup							BBACKUPD-CONFIG(8)

NAME
bbackupd-config - Box Backup client daemon configuration file generator SYNOPSIS
bbackupd-config config-dir backup-mode account-num server-hostname working-dir backup-dir [backup-dir ...] DESCRIPTION
The bbackupd-config script creates configuration files and client certificates. It takes at least six parameters: config-dir Configuration directory. Usually /etc/box. backup-mode Either lazy or snapshot. account-num The client account number. This is set by the bbstored administrator. server-hostname The hostname or IP address of the bbstored server. working-dir A directory to keep temporary state files. This is usually something like /var/bbackupd. This can be changed in bbackupd.conf later on if required. backup-dir A space-separated list of directories to be backed up. Note that this does not traverse mount points. FILES
/etc/box/bbackupd.conf /etc/box/bbackupd/NotifySysAdmin.sh SEE ALSO
bbackupd.conf(5), bbackupd(8), bbackupctl(8) AUTHORS
Ben Summers Per Thomsen James O'Gorman Box Backup 0.11 10/28/2011 BBACKUPD-CONFIG(8)