Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Offsite Backup Solution
Operating Systems AIX Offsite Backup Solution Post 302352133 by bakunin on Thursday 10th of September 2009 12:32:32 PM
Old 09-10-2009
Which sort of backup should it be? AIX offers a so-called "mksysb", which backs up the rootvg. This results in a system backup with all the systems relevant data saved (users, groups, passwords, mountpoints, printqueues, interfaces and the like), but not (if the system is set up correctly) the data or the applications. Basically the mksysb issues a "savevg rootvg" and adds some additional logic to that so that the resulting file could be booted from if it is written to a bootable medium.

If you want to back up the remainder of your system you should set apart the static parts (say, the applications executables) and the volatile parts of your data (database files for instance) and develop different backup strategies for these.

Another point is the size of the backup and the timeframe you have for taking the backup: local disks as destination are faster than network and you can transfer the backup file(s) over the network later. Still you have to have enough diskspace to do that. Taking the backup directly over the network is slower, but doesn't require the extra disk space. On the other hand taking backups over the network might put some strain on the network hardware and/or the destination host. Maybe there are some other hosts sending their backups over the network too and the compete for the network bandwith and the I/O bandwidth of the backup server - in this case you need a schedule so that only one server is backing up at any given time.

Tell us more about your environment and your requirements and we might be able to help you better instead of telling you some commonplaces about backups.

Regarding software: i would stick with something as simple as possible: tar, maybe rsync, ftp, scp and something such.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

offsite backup for solaris

any hot sites out there for backup of a sun unix server. can't verify my tape backups and want a "disaster recovery" option (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jbksman
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

enterprise backup solution

We are using sun_sparc solaris 2.5.1 with oracle database 8.0.5 We are considering to buy for buying backup software for this purpose . Our systems integrator says veritas could not be installed due to some technical reasons (they are veritas authorised dealer) . And is suggesting Netvault... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitesh Shah
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Sun and backup solution

My company is in the process of building a new datacenter and I am responsible for setting up the backup environment (everything from racking to implementation). I guess it is pretty basic but I don't have much experience with the initial setup. What we have so far is a SunV890 (backup server), Sun... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jshwon
1 Replies

4. AIX

Backup solution

Hello, I'm looking for a backup solution for my system. I have 3 AIX virtual partitions running on a IBM p5 server. Each partition has it's data on a DS4700 storage server. Also, I have a RedHat running on an IBM p720. This server has the tape hardware. I would like to know if I can backup from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enzote
4 Replies

5. Linux

Backup solution

Hi all, i am not sure whether i selected the right topic or not, so excuse me, well i am mainly a Windows admin, but i do *NIX administration from time to time, for now i need to use an open source solution for backup windows environment mainly, i spent last days playing with bacula and backupPC,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
0 Replies

6. Solaris

OpenSource / Free backup and restore solution for Solaris 10

Is there any free /opensource backup&restore solution available for solaris10 i want to backup Solaris10 machine with oracle 9 version. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif_islam
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Considered basic but advanced outcome (Custom Backup Solution)

Ive a problem that I'm reaching out for help. Ive written (With bits and pieces) of script that is not running as expected or is having an issue causing processes to spiral out of control. The script does this: Unloads a UV database server Tars up a few folders Transfers the file to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: coastdweller
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup solution using rsync

Hello All, I am looking at a fast way to script some backups. I am looking at using rsync to do the leg work. I am having a hard time conceiving a script though. I have a tree with subfolders within subfolders. I was looking at the /xd option to parse the tree. Directory of k:\ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvamos
4 Replies
BACKUP_DELDUMP(8)					       AFS Command Reference						 BACKUP_DELDUMP(8)

NAME
       backup_deldump - Deletes a dump level from the Backup Database

SYNOPSIS
       backup deldump -dump <dump level name> [-localauth]
	   [-cell <cell name>] [-help]

backup deld -d <dump level name> [-l]
	   [-c <cell name>] [-h]

DESCRIPTION
       The backup deldump command deletes the indicated dump level and all of its child dump levels from the dump hierarchy in the Backup
       Database. Use the backup listdumps command to display the dump hierarchy.

OPTIONS
       -dump <dump level name>
	   Specifies the complete pathname of the dump level to delete.

-localauth
	   Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to
	   the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more
	   details, see backup(8).

-cell <cell name>
	   Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8).

-help
	   Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.

EXAMPLES
       The following command deletes the dump level "/sunday1/monday1" from the dump hierarchy, along with any of its child dump levels.

% backup deldump /sunday1/monday1

PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
       The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged
       onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included.

SEE ALSO
       backup(8), backup_adddump(8), backup_listdumps(8)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26							 BACKUP_DELDUMP(8)