Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing selectively the last character from a file Post 302351836 by sandeep_1105 on Wednesday 9th of September 2009 05:24:39 PM
Old 09-09-2009
Removing selectively the last character from a file

Dear Members,

Quote:
I have a file whose last character is "\". I need to remove this character.
Problem is suppose i have 50 lines in a file, 40 lines last character is "\" and the remaining 10 lines are good(i mean these 10 lines do not have "\" character)

How can i remove this character from the file.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing a character and addending to end in each line in a file

HI i am having a file this (sys19:pnlfct:/pfact/temp>) cat temp_sand 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 I want to make this file as (sys19:pnlfct:/pfact/temp>) cat temp_sand 1456789023 1456789023 1456789023 1456789023 just take the 2nd and 3rd position and put it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character from each line of file

How can I remove the last character from each line of a file? This must be done without "funny" characters, as I want to transfer the code to/from Windows. Any ideas? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjhancock
17 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Selectively Reformating a file using AWK

Dear users, I am new to AWK and have been battling with this one for close to a week now. Some of you did offer some help last week but I think I may not have explained myself very well. So I am trying again. I have a dataset that has the following format where the datasets repeat every... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sda_rr
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing ^Z Character in a File

Hi, I am having a pipe (|) delimited file which is having ^Z character in the middle of the text.Could anyone please suggest me how to remove this ^Z Character from the file.I almost used all the ideas posted in this site but none of them worked in my case since tis ^Z character is not coming at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoenix86
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing ^@ character at the end own belowof Linux file

Hi, I have a Linux file which has content as sh (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhuvanas
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Special Character from File.

Hi, My file has this special character "^M" I would like to remove this characters. eg: abc,abc,^M i tried using sed but doesnt work. i used octal dump command to see special character it returns following: 015 \r Appreciate your reply. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing last character of every line if certain character

I need help removing the last character of every line if it is a certain character. For example I need to get rid of a % character if it is in the last position. Input: aaa% %bbb ccc d%dd% Output should be: aaa %bbb ccc d%dd I tried this but it gets rid of all of the % characters.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for removing newline character from file

Hi below is my file. cat input.dat 101,abhilash,1000 102,prave en,2000 103,partha,4 000 10 4,naresh,5000 (its just a example file) and my output should be: 101,abhilash,1000 102,praveen,2000 103,partha,4000 104,naresh,5000 below is my code cat input.dat |tr -d '\n' >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilash_nakka
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove spaces from a file selectively?

Hi i have a file in which i am doing some processing. The code is as follows: #!/bin/ksh grep DATA File1.txt >> File2.txt sed 's/DATA//' File2.txt | tr -d ‘ ‘ >> File4.xls As you can see my output is going in a xl file.The output consist of four columns/feilds out of which the first... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character of a specific line from a file

Hello guys, I would need to remove the last character ")" of a specific line. This can be from any line. Your help is appreciated. Below is the line. HOSTNAME=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)) Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sang8g
6 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] git stripspace [-c | --comment-lines] DESCRIPTION
Read text, such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions, from the standard input and clean it in the manner used by Git. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)