Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find out line number of matching string using grep Post 302351560 by sarbjit on Wednesday 9th of September 2009 02:50:19 AM
Old 09-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin52
Code:
awk '/ABC/{print NR}' file

Regards
thanks man, it really works, but can you please provide me code to display the contents of next line, actually i was thinking that i could store this number in variable & then use
sed -n "vp" file
where v is the output from the code + 1 you provided, but it is not working . any alternative please

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep the string with the line number

Dear Masters, Here i have some doubts can anyone clarify?. Is it possible to grep the lines by specifying the line numbers. I know the line number which i want to grep. example: grep 40th line filename grep 50th line filename Need ur comments. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salaathi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep string and find line before

hi, i have to grep for string in file but i want to find the group of this line so i must get lines before and select the group. the file look like : ####name_groupe1 alphanumeric line alphanumeric line .. ####name_groupe2 alphanumeric line alphanumeric line .. ####name_groupe3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamel.seg
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep / zgrep to output ONLY the matching filename and line number?

Hi all, I am trying to zgrep / grep list of files so that it displays only the matching filename:line number and does not display the whole line, like: (echo "1.txt";echo "2.txt") | xargs zgrep -no STRING If I use -o option, it displays the matching STRING and if not used, displays the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the line number of matching braces

Hi,I am new to shell scripting and i want to find the line numbers of matching braces. The file contents are as follows File XXX.dat 1 ( CLASS "FRUIT" 2 (TYPE "PERSISTENT") 3 (MESSAGE_TYPE "M") 4 (GET_REQRD "Y") 5 (SET_REQRD "Y") 6 ) 7 ( CLASS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajendra_1510
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string using grep & print the line above or below that.

Hi All, Please tell me how can I Find a string using grep & print the line above or below that in solaris? Please share as I am unable to use grep -A or grep -B as it is not working on Solaris. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaib
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i find the first number in each line and insert dummy string into the missing columns?

Hi, I have one input file with the following content: MY_inpfile.txt Aname1 Cname1 Cname2 1808 5 Aname2 Cname1 1802 47 Bname1 ? 1819 22 Bname2 Cname1 1784 11 Bname3 1817 9 Zname1 Cname1 1805 59 Zname2 Cname1 Cname2 Cname3 1797 27 Every line in my input file have a 4 digit... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Szaffy
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching a string followed by a number

I have a string joe-dimech-varp123.23-drw.msf peter-erch-varp2.23-drw.msf pawlu-donje-seru-varp3123.23-drw.msf I want to remove the entry containing the varp tag (The varp is followed by a number) I want to get joe-dimech-drw.msf peter-erch--drw.msf pawlu-donje-seru-drw.msf (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find sum of any 'n' number of values from file matching target value?

I have a simple text file having payment amount value on each line. At the end of day 'n' number of payments created difference in amount that I need to match from this file. I have information about how many payments created difference and difference amount. Please help me to build shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swats007
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find number in a field then print the line and the number

Hi I want to use awk to match where field 3 contains a number within string - then print the line and just the number as a new field. The source file is pipe delimited and looks something like 1|net|ABC Letr1|1530||| 1|net|EXP_1040 ABC|1121||| 1|net|EXP_TG1224|1122||| 1|net|R_North|1123|||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
5 Replies
grep(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   grep(1)

Name
       grep, egrep, fgrep - search file for regular expression

Syntax
       grep [option...] expression [file...]

egrep [option...] [expression] [file...]

fgrep [option...] [strings] [file]

Description
       Commands  of  the family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern.  Normally, each line found is copied
       to the standard output.

The command patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of which uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm.  The command patterns
       are  full  regular  expressions.  The command uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space.  The command pat-
       terns are fixed strings.  The command is fast and compact.

In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file.  Take care when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and   in  the
       expression because they are also meaningful to the Shell.  It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '.

The command searches for lines that contain one of the (new line-separated) strings.

The command accepts extended regular expressions.  In the following description `character' excludes new line:

A  followed by a single character other than new line matches that character.

The character ^ matches the beginning of a line.

The character $ matches the end of a line.

A .  (dot) matches any character.

A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character.

A  string  enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string.	Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated
	      as in `a-z0-9'.  A ] may occur only as the first character of the string.  A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken	as
	      a range indicator.

A  regular  expression  followed	by  an	* (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular
	      expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular expression  followed
	      by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression.

Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second.

Two regular expressions separated by | or new line match either a match for the first or a match for the second.

A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression.

The  order  of  precedence  of  operators at the same parenthesis level is the following:  [], then *+?, then concatenation, then | and new
       line.

Options
       -b	   Precedes each output line with its block number.  This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by context.

-c	   Produces count of matching lines only.

-e expression
		   Uses next argument as expression that begins with a minus (-).

-f file	   Takes regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) from file.

-i	   Considers upper and lowercase letter identical in making comparisons and only).

-l	   Lists files with matching lines only once, separated by a new line.

-n	   Precedes each matching line with its line number.

-s	   Silent mode and nothing is printed (except error messages).	This is useful for checking the error status (see DIAGNOSTICS).

-v	   Displays all lines that do not match specified expression.

-w	   Searches for an expression as for a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>').  For further information, see only.

-x	   Prints exact lines matched in their entirety only).

Restrictions
       Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated.

Diagnostics
       Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files.

See Also
       ex(1), sed(1), sh(1)

grep(1)