Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can run a ".sh" script as the user but not from the crontab Post 302351508 by bhaire on Tuesday 8th of September 2009 07:41:17 PM
Old 09-08-2009
Can run a ".sh" script as the user but not from the crontab

Hello Everyone,

I am logged in as me. I created a script in the directory "/install/new" called "script1.sh" which basically runs another script "runapp.sh" . The "runapp.sh" is a vendor provided application strart up script that came with the installation. This is also in the same directory as "script1.sh". Briefly, my "script1.sh" looks like this:

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
m=`ps -ef | grep /install/new/application | wc -l`
if [ $m != 2 ]; then
echo "starting application"
./runapp.sh
else
echo "no action taken";
fi

I have put this script in Cron Job and I edited and saved the Crontab as the same user account that created the "script1.sh".

Here is what my crontab looks like:
Code:
$crontab -e

30 * * * * /install/new/script1.sh >> /install/new/log.txt 2>&1

Which is saying run my script every 30 minutes.

Here's the deal- When I test my script "script1.sh" running it from the putty terminal by doing ./script1.sh it runs successfully however when this is run from the Crontab it complains saying this in the "log.txt"

Code:
$more log.txt
starting application
/install/new/script1.sh [5]: ./runapp.sh:  not found

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by bhaire; 09-08-2009 at 08:51 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run away "bootpgw" & "inetd"

Hello All. I'm get the following messages posted to the /var/adm/syslog file ever second and not sure on how to stop the process. May 14 15:50:52 a3360 bootpgw: version 2.3.5 May 14 15:50:52 a3360 inetd: /etc/bootpgw exit 0x1 As said about this gets logged every second only thing that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cfaiman
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

communicating wth another user aside from "wall" and "write"

Hi, Can anyone suggest a Unix command or c-shell algorithm to simulate to behavior of "wall" command minus the "all users"? What I'm trying to do is to send a notice to just one particular user but i dont want other remotely-logged-on users to receive the message (on the pseudo-terminals). I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

catalina.sh : need combination from "start" and "run"

heya, can someone help me with following problem. i am not sure how far you know the catalina.sh script from tomcat. when i start my tomcat with "catalina.sh run" then the startup-process-output will be printed out on the console, but the tomcat process is started in current shell/session, so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Filly
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to give non root user sudo to "crontab -l"

Does anyone know if this is possible? I want to give some users access to root's crontab but only with a read privilege. Is this possible to do or can only root or people with full root sudo view root's cron? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab does not run "root" job

hi, I've read different posts regarding crontab but none helped out...the shell scrip that I want to run through crontab gets run through crontab when I use the following crontab statement: 13 17 * * * /usr/net/gcc/DBdrop.sh > /usr/net/gcc/DBdrop.log 2>&1 but it does not run when I scheduel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux0004
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab not running "nail" in script

the script is in Perl... this is one part of it: $command = "echo \"$text\" | /usr/bin/nail -s \"My $text1\" $ccstr$addstr"; system("$command") if length($bodytext)>1; crontab runs the script and sends me notifications but i cant receive any mail that i wanted! I'm using the complete path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yeean
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l"

I need a shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l -u <username>" & "cat /etc/rc.local" & "df -h" and able to create output into a file saved locally with hostname.crontab & hostname.rc.local & disk.status. I can supply a file as list of hostname or IP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaipsharma
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the significance of sh -s in ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh?

Please can you help me understand the significance of providing arguments under sh -s in > ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run root level command , if user has "su -" permission in sudoers provided?

I am looking t run root level command on multiple servers, but all servers have only "su - " permission available in sudoers. please help me if any way that I can run command using help of "su -" My script for hosts in `cat hosts.txt`; do echo "###########################Server Name-... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yash_message
5 Replies
parse_dynamic_clustertoc(1M)				  System Administration Commands			      parse_dynamic_clustertoc(1M)

NAME
parse_dynamic_clustertoc - parse clustertoc file based on dynamic entries SYNOPSIS
cdrom/export/exec/sparc.Solaris_2.x/sbin/install.d/parse_dynamic_clustertoc cdrom/export/exec/i386.Solaris_2.x/sbin/install.d/parse_dynamic_clustertoc DESCRIPTION
This script parses the clustertoc file before the suninstall(1M) process is run. parse_dynamic_clustertoc is called by a modified syscon- fig script on the install CD. When parse_dynamic_clustertoc runs, it reads the clustertoc and when it encounters SUNW_CSRMBRIFF lines, it either checks the platform using the script's builtin function, or calls an external script. The script exits with a 0 if the cluster entry is included, otherwise it will be ignored. If the cluster entry is to be included, the SUNW_CSRMBRIFF =(test test_arg)cluster line is converted to SUNW_CSRMEMBER =cluster. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Checking For an SX Framebuffer The following is an example of a simple external test to check for an SX Framebuffer. The entry in the clustertoc file is shown and fol- lowing that is the script that must be placed in the install.d/dynamic_test directory. SUNW_CSRMBRIFF=(smcc.dctoc sx)SUNWCsx #! /bin/sh # # Likewise, this file is expected to live under $(TESTDIR). # case "$1" in sx) prtconf -p | grep 'SUNW,sx' 1> /dev/null;; esac FILES
cdrom/Solaris_2.x/locale/C/.clustertoc.dynamic Dynamic version of the clustertoc file cdrom/export/exec/sparc.Solaris_2.x/sbin/install.d/dynamic_test Directory that contains any additional tests cdrom/export/exec/i386.Solaris_2.x/sbin/install.d/dynamic_test Directory that contains any additional tests ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SHWPcdrom (Solaris CD) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
suninstall(1M), clustertoc(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 1995 parse_dynamic_clustertoc(1M)