Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RAID 5 on HP-UX
Operating Systems HP-UX RAID 5 on HP-UX Post 302351415 by vbe on Tuesday 8th of September 2009 01:13:40 PM
Old 09-08-2009
???
Lets start from the beginning
give us the listing of
Code:
ioscan -funC disk

---------- Post updated at 19:13 ---------- Previous update was at 19:00 ----------

I just remembered stripping a RP5450 to pieces after it had burned...
The only place where you have disks are in front and you can put 4 disks (hot swap)
they can only be:
36 GB, 15K HotPlug Ultra 160 SCSI Disk A6846A
73 GB, 15K HotPlug Ultra 160 SCSI Disk A9761A
146 GB, 10K HotPlug Ultra 160 SCSI Disk A7080A
(there are still possible 18GB disks but I doubt seriously...)
that means you are using the internal controllers, they cannot do RAID5 and its not advisable...
or you have an external disk subsystem...

Last edited by vbe; 09-08-2009 at 02:20 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

RAID 0+1 Vs RAID 1+0

hi all...sudhansu here............ i need some help.......... what is RAID 0+1 and RAID 1+0.............what is the difference between them................ suppose i have 80 gb disk space,then which RAID level i follow n why......... i need redundancy n maximum storage..........please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhansu
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Raid 0

Somebody can help me ! how can i do mirror in sun ver 8 without third party software !!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goldfelda
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID software vs hardware RAID

Hi Can someone tell me what are the differences between software and hardware raid ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

4. Solaris

implementing RAID 1 from RAID 5

Dear ALl, I have a RAID 5 volume which is as below d120 r 60GB c1t2d0s5 c1t3d0s5 c1t4d0s5 c1t5d0s5 d7 r 99GB c1t2d0s0 c1t3d0s0 c1t4d0s0 c1t5d0s0 d110 r 99GB c1t2d0s4 c1t3d0s4 c1t4d0s4 c1t5d0s4 d8 r 99GB c1t2d0s1 c1t3d0s1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Creation of Raid 01 and Raid 10

Hello All, I have read enough of texts on Raid 01 and Raid 10 on solaris :wall: . But no-where found a way to create them using SVM. Some one pls tell me how to do or Post some link if that helps. TIA Curious solarister (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Solarister
1 Replies

6. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with RAID.

Hi Gurus, Can any one explain me the difference between hardware RAID and s/w RAID. Thanks in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

RAID Configuration for IBM Serveraid-7k SCSI RAID Controller

Hello, I want to delete a RAID configuration an old server has. Since i haven't the chance to work with the specific raid controller in the past can you please help me how to perform the configuraiton? I downloaded IBM ServeRAID Support CD but i wasn't able to configure the video card so i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies
atapi_ide(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					      atapi_ide(7)

NAME
atapi_ide - Interface for ATAPI or IDE (PC) devices SYNOPSIS
PCI bus CMD/Acer ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata0 slot 1 PCI bus Cypress ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * bus ata1 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata1 slot 0 PCMCIA bus ATA/IDE disk card: bus pcmcia0 at * bus ata0 at pcmcia? controller scsi0 at ata0 DESCRIPTION
Devices commonly known for their use on PC devices as ATA or IDE devices are supported using the SCSI CAM device driver. The ATA standard has also been expanded to include what are known as ATAPI devices. The SCSI CAM device driver is also used for those disks and CD-ROM devices. These devices may also be known under the names EIDE, ATA-2, Fast-ATA, or Ultra-ATA. Beacuse the ATA/IDE standard was not developed until after many of the devices that used this standard were produced, there are many devices which do not strictly comply with the standard. While it is possible some industry standard devices may appear to work, it is also possible they will cause hang or data corruption cases when used under more stressful situations. For this reason, it is recommended that only the supported devices be used. These devices have been tested and are certified for correct operation. ATAPI/IDE controllers allow the connection of two devices. These two devices are known as the master device and the slave device. If only one device is connected, that device must be the master (slave-only configurations are not supported). When used by the SCSI CAM device driver, the IDE master device is assigned SCSI id 0 for that controller. The slave device is assigned SCSI id 1 for that controller. No other SCSI ids are assigned on that controller. Most ATAPI/IDE adapters contain two channels (known as the primary and secondary). Each of these channels may contain their own master and slave devices. Therefore, a dual channel ATAPI/IDE controller may contain up to 4 devices (a master and slave pair on each channel). These 4 devices are then accessed as SCSI id 0 and 1 on each channel. Many SCSI operations translate perfectly for use on IDE. For example, read and write operations are the same. However, many SCSI disk mode pages are emulated by the IDE device driver. For example, you can display the SCSI inquiry mode pages using the following command: % scu show inq pages pages are created by the device driver to contain the long (full IDE) form of the device name, serial number, revision, and the operational modes of the device. Only a shortened version of this information is available with the standard SCSI inquiry command. Note also that the following command: % scu show pages Shows that the SCSI mode pages contain only partial information. Only that informa- tion (such as geometry) that the drive reports to the system is able to be reformatted into these emulated SCSI mode pages. Much of the information (such as RPM) is simply not available from the drive, and therefore not accurately reported. ATAPI devices are much more closely related to SCSI devices, and as such contain their own mode pages. Therefore, for these devices, the mode page values reported are those from the device, and no emulation is involved. ATAPI tape devices are not supported at this time. FILES
/dev/disk/dsk??? /dev/disk/dsk??? RELATED INFORMATION
SCSI(7), rz(7), and disklabel(8) delim off atapi_ide(7)