Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Brain Teaser Extended
Top Forums Programming Brain Teaser Extended Post 302351400 by shamrock on Tuesday 8th of September 2009 12:10:47 PM
Old 09-08-2009
You want a self modifying executable which is not allowed due to the separation and protection of the text segment which is shared and readonly.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Brain Bench Certification

Hi, Can anybody provide me Pointers to Practice tests or any Material to prepare for Brainbench certification in Unix Shell Scripting? Also how good is this Certification for UNIX programmers. Is it worth it? I'm planning to take this certification in 2 weeks. Kindly let me know all the pros... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan_emani
0 Replies

2. Programming

C Brain Teaser

Dear Gurus, I have encountered a C question, which I thought of sharing with you. This question was asked by one of my technical training staff...Though my training was over I'm still thinking of a solution for this.. Write a C program to do a small task(lets say just simply printing a "Hello... (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrk1219
34 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

This might be a programming teaser!

Hi gurus, I have done my best to be as precisely as possible with this. Besides giving the format of file a and file b and the result file I have also given the algorithm as I have figured out. I will try to do this and I hope that some of you could help me to solve this or better yet... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ljankok
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

The Human Brain project

A global group of scientists are spending the next ten years and a billion dollars to try and develop a computer simulation of the brain: https://www.humanbrainproject.eu/ I always found it fascinating that the brain can understand itself. This almost sounds like in a few years the computer... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed regexp teaser

G'day, Here's a teaser for a sed guru, which I surely am not one, as even my basic sed skills are rusted from years of not practising ... lol Ok ... we have a string of digits such as: 632413741610252847552619172459483022433027602515212950543016701812771409213148672112 we want it split... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: naderra
9 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Cyber Dystopia Teaser (720 HD)

Working on a new cybersecurity, dystopian world series and made a short 2 min teaser today. Cyber Dystopia (720 HD) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Ca07J_YC8 If anyone has any ideas for the story, please write out some story lines in the comments and join the production team! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies
execstack(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      execstack(8)

NAME
execstack - tool to set, clear, or query executable stack flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries SYNOPSIS
execstack [OPTION...] [FILES] DESCRIPTION
execstack is a program which sets, clears, or queries executable stack flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries. Linux has in the past allowed execution of instructions on the stack and there are lots of binaries and shared libraries assuming this behaviour. Furthermore, GCC trampoline code for e.g. nested functions requires executable stack on many architectures. To avoid breaking binaries and shared libraries which need executable stack, ELF binaries and shared libraries now can be marked as requiring executable stack or not requiring it. This marking is done through the p_flags field in the PT_GNU_STACK program header entry. If the marking is missing, kernel or dynamic linker need to assume it might need executable stack. The marking is done automatically by recent GCC versions (objects using trampolines on the stack are marked as requiring executable stack, all other newly built objects are marked as not requiring it) and linker collects these markings into marking of the whole binary or shared library. The user can override this at assembly time (through --execstack or --noexecstack assembler options), at link time (through -z execstack or -z noexecstack linker options) and using the execstack tool also on an already linker binary or shared library. This tool is especially useful for third party shared libraries where it is known that they don't need executable stack or testing proves it. OPTIONS
-s --set-execstack Mark binary or shared library as requiring executable stack. -c --clear-execstack Mark binary or shared library as not requiring executable stack. -q --query Query executable stack marking of binaries and shared libraries. For each file it prints either - when executable stack is not required, X when executable stack is required or ? when it is unknown whether the object requires or doesn't require executable stack (the marking is missing). -V Print execstack version and exit. -? --help Print help message. --usage Print a short usage message. ARGUMENTS
Command line arguments should be names of ELF binaries and shared libraries which should be modified or queried. EXAMPLES
# execstack -s ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 will mark ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 as requiring executable stack. # execstack -c ~/bin/bar will mark ~/bin/bar as not requiring executable stack. # execstack -q ~/lib/libfoo.so.1 ~/bin/bar will query executable stack marking of the given files. SEE ALSO
ld.so(8). BUGS
execstack doesn't support yet marking of executables if they do not have PT_GNU_STACK program header entry nor they have room for program segment header table growth. AUTHORS
Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>. 28 October 2003 execstack(8)