Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using links with wildcards in bash. Post 302351250 by cop02ia on Monday 7th of September 2009 10:45:48 PM
Old 09-07-2009
Using links with wildcards in bash.

I wrote a script using softlinks with wildcards and found out that it causes ambiguity.
I found an inelegant workaround but still don't understand how the ambiguity is caused.

Code:
mkdir -p FtE/lib
pushd FtE >/dev/null
mkdir bin blks doc etc rdl sim sw syn tb
ln -s $DATASOURCE/SCs/synopsys/*.lib lib/.
popd >/dev/null

echo -e "Please insert the project name:"
read PROJECT
mkdir -p soc/Lib
pushd soc >/dev/null

#ln -s ../../FtE/lib/* Lib/.
#ln -s ../../FtE/lib/*.lib Lib/.
for LINKS in `ls ../FtE/lib`
do
ln -s ../../FtE/lib/$LINKS Lib/.
done

popd >/dev/null
The green codes shows what worked. The brown code shows those that failed.
In the first green line, I used a wildcard (*) with 'ln -s' and it is accepted.
The next time I tried this, it fails so I have to use a 'for' loop.
Can anyone clarify what the ambiguity is here?

Last edited by cop02ia; 09-07-2009 at 11:59 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Links - BASH Script

Hi all, This is my first message in this forum. I'd like to know if there is a nice way to get the complete path from a symbolic link. Example: When I do a ls -ltr I see this output. lrwxr-xr-x 1 mmmm users 66 Sep 4 09:58 LINK_SEND ->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rodrimuino
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Hard Links and Soft or Sym links

When loooking at files in a directory using ls, how can I tell if I have a hard link or soft link? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
11 Replies

8. AIX

List all the soft links and hard links

Hi I'm logged in as root in an aix box Which command will list all the soft links and hard links present in the server ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)