Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Weird timing results in C
Top Forums Programming Weird timing results in C Post 302351183 by CRGreathouse on Monday 7th of September 2009 12:16:02 PM
Old 09-07-2009
Weird timing results in C

I was running some timings in my code to see which of several functions was the best and I've been getting some odd results. Here's the code I'm using:
Code:
static double time_loop(int (*foo)(int)) {
	clock_t start, end;
	int n = 0, i = 0;
	start = clock();
	for (; i <= MAXN; i++)
		if ((*foo)(i)) n++;
	end = clock();
	if (n != 50847534)
		return -1;	// Error
	return ((double) (end - start)) / CLOCKS_PER_SEC;
}

static double median3(int (*foo)(int)) {
	double t1 = time_loop(foo);
	double t2 = time_loop(foo);
	double t3 = time_loop(foo);
	printf("  ((%f %f %f))\n", t1, t2, t3);
	int errors = 0;
	if (t1 < 0)
		errors++;
	if (t2 < 0)
		errors++;
	if (t3 < 0)
		errors++;
	if (errors > 0)
		return -errors;
	if (t1 > t2) {
		if (t2 > t3)
			return t2;
		return t3 < t1 ? t3 : t1;
	} else {
		if (t1 > t3)
			return t1;
		return t3 < t2 ? t3 : t2;
	}
}

The functions that I'm passing to time_loop are pure functions -- they're not making any changes to global variables. And yet every time I run this, my debugging line in median3 shows that the third invocation takes significantly longer than the others. Sample run:
Code:
  ((4.560000 3.750000 6.540000))
Original: 4.560000 s
  ((4.920000 3.760000 6.690000))
Original: 4.920000 s
  ((4.190000 3.750000 6.620000))
Original: 4.190000 s
  ((3.820000 3.130000 5.640000))
New:      3.820000 s
  ((3.580000 3.150000 5.580000))
New:      3.580000 s
	  ((3.670000 3.140000 5.510000))
New:      3.670000 s

Why is that? These functions are entirely deterministic, and nothing is changing between invocations. But I see a strong pattern of time - smaller time - much longer time.

As for cache effects, the functions rely on a 125 MB global array, so that's not going to fit even in my 6MB L3. (Even if it did you'd expect the second and third invocations to be fast.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scp timing out

having problems using scp in that during peak hours it appears to time out. anyone have similar experiences? any thoughts regarding a solution... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jph
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timing out a SSH

I need to make it so an autmated process which involves ssh, times out if ssh prompts for a password. Most of the time it shouldnt prompt for a password. But if it does i need it to time it out or get a status and stop the ssh and log that the ssh failed and move onto the next server. Is there any... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
9 Replies

3. Programming

timing your functions

hi everyone. If you have a function created in your code and you want to find out how long it takes for it to run you can use a struct called gettimeofday(). so lets say we have a function like this int myfunction (int r) { /*some math calculations*/ return answer; } How do i set up... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
3 Replies

4. Programming

Help with __builtin_prefetch function and it's timing

Hello there, I just needed to know how to get the timing right when using the gcc __builtin_prefetch() function, that is, how many instructions before the actual utilization of the data should I make the prefetch call. I will be measuring the L1 cache hit rate with valgrind's cachegrind,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tavo
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

byte swapping 32-bit float and weird od results

I'm attempting to read a file that is composed of complex 32-bit floating point values on Solaris 10 that came from a 64-bit Red Hat computer. When I first tried reading the file, it looked like there was a byte-swapping problem and after running the od command on the file Solaris and Red Hat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoDonkeys
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ?

Hello , When using vim, can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ? Once I jump to one tag, I can use :tnext to jump to next tag, but how can I display the preview search result? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timing a script

i have a very big script i have that i'd like to add a timeout to. this script runs on a several remote host. i update this script with timeout clause and then copy it over to all the hosts on which it is currently on. basically, i want the timeout to make the script abort/exit if it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timing the shell script

I have two shell scripts, one written with xargs for parallel processing (p1) and the other written in old school way (p3) . when I execute them, i get the below values. $ time ./p1 real 0m25.36s user 0m0.32s sys 0m0.80s $ time ./p3 real 0m23.25s user 0m6.20s sys ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luhah
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Hardware and system timing are different

-> We have 2 servers server1 and server2 server. ->server1 is master application and server2 is slave application server. ->output of server1 hardware and slave timing: # hwclock --show Thu 05 Jun 2014 05:34:08 PM SGT -0.465666 seconds # date Thu Jun 5 17:34:16 SGT 2014 # cd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjusharma128
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Weird 'find' results

Hello and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me I'm trying to learn the find command and thought I was understanding it... Apparently I was wrong. I was doing compound searches and I started getting weird results with the -size test. I was trying to do a search on a 1G file owned by... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
14 Replies
CLOCK(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  CLOCK(3)

NAME
clock - determine processor time SYNOPSIS
#include <time.h> clock_t clock(void); DESCRIPTION
The clock() function returns an approximation of processor time used by the program. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is the CPU time used so far as a clock_t; to get the number of seconds used, divide by CLOCKS_PER_SEC. If the processor time used is not available or its value cannot be represented, the function returns the value (clock_t) -1. CONFORMING TO
C89, C99, POSIX.1-2001. POSIX requires that CLOCKS_PER_SEC equals 1000000 independent of the actual resolution. NOTES
The C standard allows for arbitrary values at the start of the program; subtract the value returned from a call to clock() at the start of the program to get maximum portability. Note that the time can wrap around. On a 32-bit system where CLOCKS_PER_SEC equals 1000000 this function will return the same value approximately every 72 minutes. On several other implementations, the value returned by clock() also includes the times of any children whose status has been collected via wait(2) (or another wait-type call). Linux does not include the times of waited-for children in the value returned by clock(). The times(2) function, which explicitly returns (separate) information about the caller and its children, may be preferable. SEE ALSO
clock_gettime(2), getrusage(2), times(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2008-08-28 CLOCK(3)