Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Parameter to avoid file being deleted by SAM Post 302351138 by vbe on Monday 7th of September 2009 09:13:11 AM
Old 09-07-2009
Welcome to the club...
I started as a developper but shortly was thrown as a sysadmin because thas is what they needed but didnt have the job except a developpers job on unix/oracle...(far long ago...).
I know how it is and think you are lucky, you have this forum and Internet, what I didnt when I started...
Lesson one: You learn by mistakes! (By far the most efficient since you rarely do the same silly mistake twice)
Lesson Two: Sometime you have no other choice than to go ahead...and produce a catastrophy, so before: Check you have a good backup! when it comes to system be sure you have a recent make_recovery tape or image to restore the OS (good practice...) look at the mans:
man make_recovery, vgdisplay lvdisplay etc...
About the developpers :You are right developpers ARE NOT to be owners of applications, only of what they in development/test, that is once in production applicatopn_owner is owner of all files...So Im not the one going to blame you but the chief of dev team.
Be free to ask anyhing here especially if you are unsure of possible consequences.
We will be just to glad to help you
Till nest
Best regards

Last edited by vbe; 09-07-2009 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: spelling...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SAM file

I am having a problem on an HP box, where I am being told that there are too many open files. I am also being told I need to change a SAM file. Could some help me understand what a SAM files is and what it is used for. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristian
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Avoid Duplicates in a file

Hi Gurus, I had a question regarding avoiding duplicates.i have a file abc.txt abc.txt ------- READER_1_1_1> HIER_28056 XML Reader: Error occurred while parsing:; line number ; column number READER_1_3_1> Sun Mar 23 23:52:48 2008 READER_1_3_1> HIER_28056 XML Reader: Error occurred while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid a temp file

Hi all. I want to check the free space on a given FS and process the output. Right now, I'm using a temp file to avoid using df twice. This is what I'm doing #!/usr/bin/ksh ... df -k $FS_NAME > $TMP_FILE 2>&1 if ]; then RESULT="CRITICAL - $(cat $TMP_FILE)" else cat $TMP_FILE | ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fox1212
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know who has deleted the file.

Hi, We have a file which needs supper user previleges to delete. There are 10 users having super user preveleges. Some times back that file got deleted. How to know who has deleted that file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
6 Replies

5. Programming

[c]Why first file is creating after the second. How to avoid

Hi, My Code is as below: nbECRITS = fwrite(strstr(data->buffer, ";") + 1, sizeof(char), (data->buffsize) - LEN_NOM_FIC, fic_sortie); fclose(fic_sortie); sprintf(PATH_BALISE, "%s.balise", PATH); fic_balise_data = fopen(PATH_BALISE, "a+"); if (fic_balise_data == NULL) {... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezee
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the parameter value from the parameter file in perl?

hi all, i have a parameter file of following format, i want a method which can get the value of specific parameter. parameter file format: <Parameter Name="FileLocationWindows"> <Description> The directory location of the logger file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laxmikant.hcl
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Avoid overwriting backup file when multiple entries need to replace in one file input from another

Hello, I have been working on script in which search and replace the multiple pattern. 1. update_params.sh read the multiple pattern from input file ParamMapping.txt(old_entry|New_entry) and passing this values one by one to change_text.sh 2. change_text.sh read... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write only changes to file - avoid duplicates

I want to create a file, to save a list of fail2ban blocked ip addresses. So I thought I'd create a loop that will check with fail2ban every minute, and write the ip addresses to a file. while true; do echo $(fail2ban-client status asterisk-iptables | grep 'IP list' | sed 's/.*://g' | sed -e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aristosv
4 Replies
UKOPP(1)							  Ukopp man page							  UKOPP(1)

NAME
Ukopp - copy files to USB stick or other disk or disk-like device SYNOPSIS
ukopp [ -nogui ] [ -job | -run ] jobfile DESCRIPTION
Ukopp is a graphical menu-driven program operating in its own window. Ukopp copies the files and directories specified in the job file to disk or disk-like media (e.g. USB stick). OVERVIEW
Ukopp works incrementally: only files that are not already identical on the target media are copied (new and modified files or files newly added to the backup job). Files/directories to include or exclude can be selected from the file system hierarchy, using a GUI navigator. Specifications are saved in a job file which can be re-edited and/or executed. Ukopp can be run in batch mode using the -nogui option. Ukopp can optionally keep old file versions instead of replacing them with updated versions. The retention time and/or the number of old versions to keep can be specified for each selected file or directory. File owners and permissions are retained even if the copy media has a Microsoft file system. Summary of functionality: - Copy files incrementally with optional file version retention. - Three media verification modes: full, incremental, compare. - Report disk:backup differences in detail or summary form. - Select and restore files from backup media or use drag and drop. OPTIONS
Command line options: [ -job ] jobfile open job file for editing [ -nogui ] -run jobfile execute a job file SEE ALSO
The online user manual is available using the menu Help > contents. This manual explains Ukopp operation in great detail. AUTHORS
Written by Michael Cornelison <kornelix2@googlemail.com> Linux 2010-10-01 UKOPP(1)