Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting concatenate lines using shell scripting Post 302351017 by durden_tyler on Monday 7th of September 2009 12:00:01 AM
Old 09-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtdt
i have a mega file in this format:

a,
b,
c,
d,
=
a2,
b2,
c2,
d2,
=
a3,
b3
=

i want to combine lines until = meet. the result should be :
a,b,c,d,
a2,b2,c3,d2
a3,b3
One way to do it in Perl:

Code:
$ 
$ cat f2
a,
b,
c,
d,
=
a2,
b2,
c2,
d2,
=
a3,
b3
=
$ 
$ perl -ne 'chomp; $x.=$_; END{$x=~s/[,]*=/\n/g; print $x}' f2
a,b,c,d
a2,b2,c2,d2
a3,b3
$ 
$

If you use vi or vim to open your file in Unix/Linux and see "^M" characters at the end of each line, then that could be one of your problems.

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to concatenate consecutive lines

I have a few lines like -- feature 1, subfeat 0, type 3, subtype 1, value 0, -- feature 1, subfeat 0, type 1, subtype 1, value 0, I would like to concatenate the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shivi707
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate two lines in one

Does anyone know a way I can fix my file below where it has lines that are cut? Just like the (notice the space before ms,c=PH).. dn: cn=english,ou=Messaging,ou=lang,o=subject,t=j ms,c=PH which should be dn: cn=english,ou=Messaging,ou=lang,o=subject,t=jms,c=PH The whole text file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate lines in pairs

Hi, I have a text file with the following contents /C=IT/O=INFN/OU=Personal Certificate/L=Napoli/CN=Some guy /C=IT/O=INFN/CN=INFN CA /O=Grid/O=NorduGrid/OU=uninett.no/CN=Another guy /O=Grid/O=NorduGrid/CN=NorduGrid Certification Authority /C=TW/O=AP/OU=GRID/CN=Someone else... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerl
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate lines between lines starting with a specific pattern

Hi, I have a file such as: --- >contig00001 length=35524 numreads=2944 gACGCCGCGCGCCGCGGCCAGGGCTGGCCCA CAGGCCGCGCGGCGTCGGCTGGCTGAG >contig00002 length=4242 numreads=43423 ATGCCGAAGGTCCGCCTGGGGCTGG CGCCGGGAGCATGTAGCG --- I would like to concatenate the lines not starting with ">"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching multiple lines and replacing in shell scripting

Hi, I have a file with below contents, ssenthil = rw anilkg = rw I want to search for "ssenthil" and need to delete line 1 and 2 , if the third line starts with "" respectively and blank line immediately and third line starts with " anilkg = rw Please help me . Great day... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
5 Replies

6. Programming

Concatenate two lines in a fIle

Hi All, Can any one help me in finding the solution for concatenating two or more lines in a file and writing them to a temporary file. for Example: He is a wise student. So he got first rank. This is in a file i want the output as He is a wise student so he got first rank. into a file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday.sena.m
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Concatenate lines in file shell script

Hi colleagues, I have a file in this format. "/cccc/pppp/dddd/ggg/prueba.txt". ERROR" THE error bbbbbbbbbb finish rows. "/kkkk/mmmm/hhhh/jjj/ejemplo.txt". ERROR This is other error rows.I need my file in this format. "/cccc/pppp/dddd/ggg/prueba.txt". ERROR" THE error bbbbbbbbbb finish rows.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate three lines into one

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I am attempting to parse an Audit Log from Cognos/TM1, selecting only Event IDs of "client" which are found on the "start-tag" record. These Logs are in a pseudo-XML format but not a true XML format. I want to FTP an Audit Log File from the Cognos server to our UNIX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredAtArrow
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all CONSECUTIVE text lines from file shell scripting

Hi I have a text file like below. THe content of the text will vary. Entire text file have four consecutive lines followed with blank line. I want to delete the occurrence of the two consicutive lines in the text file. I don't have pattern to match and delete. Just i need to delete all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJSKR28
5 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInteUseraContribPerl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals - Always use single quotes for literal strings. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Don't use double-quotes or "qq//" if your string doesn't require interpolation. This saves the interpreter a bit of work and it lets the reader know that you really did intend the string to be literal. print "foobar"; #not ok print 'foobar'; #ok print qq/foobar/; #not ok print q/foobar/; #ok print "$foobar"; #ok print "foobar "; #ok print qq/$foobar/; #ok print qq/foobar /; #ok print qq{$foobar}; #preferred print qq{foobar }; #preferred Use of double-quotes might be reasonable if the string contains single quote (') characters: print "it's me"; # ok, if configuration flag set CONFIGURATION
The types of quoting styles to exempt from this policy can be configured via the "allow" option. This must be a whitespace-delimited combination of some or all of the following styles: "qq{}", "qq()", "qq[]", and "qq//". This is useful because some folks have configured their editor to apply special syntax highlighting within certain styles of quotes. For example, you can tweak "vim" to use SQL highlighting for everything that appears within "qq{}" or "qq[]" quotes. But if those strings are literal, Perl::Critic will complain. To prevent this, put the following in your .perlcriticrc file: [ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals] allow = qq{} qq[] The flag "allow_if_string_contains_single_quote" permits double-quoted strings if the string contains a single quote (') character. It defaults to off; to turn it on put the following in your .perlcriticrc file: [ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals] allow_if_string_contains_single_quote = 1 SEE ALSO
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::RequireInterpolationOfMetachars AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals(3)