Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting concatenate lines using shell scripting Post 302351011 by bakunin on Sunday 6th of September 2009 11:11:39 PM
Old 09-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtdt
i have no idea what's happening. any suggestions?
Since you don't show us any real example of what your file looks like we are left to guesses. Therefore the following is again - a guess (btw.: my code worked perfectly on AIX, Solaris and Ubuntu Linux - more Unix/Linux dialects i don't have at hand but probably nothing will change the result).

Files are different in Windows/DOS and UNIX. The reason is that newlines are encoded differently. In UNIX dialects a newline is encoded in a single character, a "^M" (control-m), the linefeed character. In DOS/Windows a newline is encoded in two characters, a CR (carriage return) and a LF (line feed).

Create a file under UNIX (issue "cat > unixfile", then start typing, press "control-D" to end the input) and get a file created under Windows. Now issue "od -ax dosfile | more" and "od -ax unixfile | more" in two windows and observe the difference.

If this is the case with your file try "ASCII mode" when you are transferring it via ftp from DOS to UNIX and vice versa. The ASCII mode (instead of "binary" mode, which is default) takes care of exactly this thing.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to concatenate consecutive lines

I have a few lines like -- feature 1, subfeat 0, type 3, subtype 1, value 0, -- feature 1, subfeat 0, type 1, subtype 1, value 0, I would like to concatenate the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shivi707
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate two lines in one

Does anyone know a way I can fix my file below where it has lines that are cut? Just like the (notice the space before ms,c=PH).. dn: cn=english,ou=Messaging,ou=lang,o=subject,t=j ms,c=PH which should be dn: cn=english,ou=Messaging,ou=lang,o=subject,t=jms,c=PH The whole text file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate lines in pairs

Hi, I have a text file with the following contents /C=IT/O=INFN/OU=Personal Certificate/L=Napoli/CN=Some guy /C=IT/O=INFN/CN=INFN CA /O=Grid/O=NorduGrid/OU=uninett.no/CN=Another guy /O=Grid/O=NorduGrid/CN=NorduGrid Certification Authority /C=TW/O=AP/OU=GRID/CN=Someone else... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerl
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate lines between lines starting with a specific pattern

Hi, I have a file such as: --- >contig00001 length=35524 numreads=2944 gACGCCGCGCGCCGCGGCCAGGGCTGGCCCA CAGGCCGCGCGGCGTCGGCTGGCTGAG >contig00002 length=4242 numreads=43423 ATGCCGAAGGTCCGCCTGGGGCTGG CGCCGGGAGCATGTAGCG --- I would like to concatenate the lines not starting with ">"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching multiple lines and replacing in shell scripting

Hi, I have a file with below contents, ssenthil = rw anilkg = rw I want to search for "ssenthil" and need to delete line 1 and 2 , if the third line starts with "" respectively and blank line immediately and third line starts with " anilkg = rw Please help me . Great day... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
5 Replies

6. Programming

Concatenate two lines in a fIle

Hi All, Can any one help me in finding the solution for concatenating two or more lines in a file and writing them to a temporary file. for Example: He is a wise student. So he got first rank. This is in a file i want the output as He is a wise student so he got first rank. into a file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday.sena.m
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Concatenate lines in file shell script

Hi colleagues, I have a file in this format. "/cccc/pppp/dddd/ggg/prueba.txt". ERROR" THE error bbbbbbbbbb finish rows. "/kkkk/mmmm/hhhh/jjj/ejemplo.txt". ERROR This is other error rows.I need my file in this format. "/cccc/pppp/dddd/ggg/prueba.txt". ERROR" THE error bbbbbbbbbb finish rows.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate three lines into one

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I am attempting to parse an Audit Log from Cognos/TM1, selecting only Event IDs of "client" which are found on the "start-tag" record. These Logs are in a pseudo-XML format but not a true XML format. I want to FTP an Audit Log File from the Cognos server to our UNIX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredAtArrow
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all CONSECUTIVE text lines from file shell scripting

Hi I have a text file like below. THe content of the text will vary. Entire text file have four consecutive lines followed with blank line. I want to delete the occurrence of the two consicutive lines in the text file. I don't have pattern to match and delete. Just i need to delete all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJSKR28
5 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - mtools utility to convert a UNIX file to DOS format SYNOPSIS
unix2dos unixfile OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
Name of the file to convert. DESCRIPTION
The unix2dos command converts a file from UNIX format to DOS format. The converted file replaces the original file. Subdirectory names that contain the '/' or '' separator are supported. If you use the '' separator or wildcards, you must enclose file names in quotes to protect them from the shell. The mcd command can be used to establish the device and the current working directory (relative to DOS), otherwise the default is A:. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Success. Failure. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of unix2dos: If set, this variable names the file that contains the name of the current mtools working directory as established by the mcd command. If this variable is not set, the file $HOME/.mcwd is used. FILES
Contains the name of the current mtools working directory as established by the mcd command. If this file does not exist, the default mtools working directory is A:. Executable file SEE ALSO
Commands: mcopy(1), mread(1), mtools(1) mtype(1), mwrite(1) unix2dos(1)