Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple Script needed for Processing CSV file perl Post 302350998 by Vi-Curious on Sunday 6th of September 2009 08:28:42 PM
Old 09-06-2009
Yes, you can schedule a script to run daily. See "man crontab".

As for your script, what you want to do is:
- split your csv entry apart using the "split" function
- get rid of the first/last two with a combination of pop/shift or else splice
- join the remaining fields back together using "join" function

The above is a basic outline of required steps (ignoring i/o operations). This should be easy enough to program. As a first try, I would say ignore that there might be records with 3 or less fields (as I don't know your input). Once you have the basic program working, then you might want to consider whether you need to code for any possible exceptions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Processing a CSV file

Hi I'm reading a comma separated file record by record. After reading a record, I'm tokenizing it using strtok() function and moving the tokens into a structure. But suppose if a record is of the following format,i.e two commas appear one after another, then the strtok function skips the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janemary.a
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script for file processing

Aim: To scan a file and ignore all characters that has an ASCII value from 0 to 31 and 127 to 255 and accept only those characters having an ASCII between 32 and 126. Script: #!/usr/local/bin/perl $filename = "$ARGV"; if (-e $filename) { open(OUT, "${filename}") || die "can't... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SEEHTAS
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, perl Script for processing a single line text file

I need a script to process a huge single line text file: The sample of the text is: "forward_inline_item": "Inline", "options_region_Australia": "Australia", "server_event_err_msg": "There was an error attempting to save", "Token": "Yes", "family": "Family","pwd_login_tab": "Enter Your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hmsadiq
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please do help: Perl Script to pull out rows from a CSV file

I have CSV file that contains data in the format as shown below: ABC, 67, 56, 67, 78, 89, 76, 55 PDR, 85, 83, 83, 72, 82, 89, 83 MPG, 86, 53, 54, 65, 23, 54, 75 .. .. .. .. I want to create a script that will pull out the rows from the above sheet and paste it into another CSV file.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajusc
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell or perl script needed for ldif file to text file conversion

This is the ldf file dn: sdcsmsisdn=1000000049,sdcsDatabase=subscriberCache,dc=example,dc=com objectClass: sdcsSubscriber objectClass: top postalCode: 29600 sdcsServiceLevel: 10 sdcsCustomerType: 14 givenName: Adelia sdcsBlackListAll: FALSE sdcsOwnerType: T-Mobile sn: Actionteam... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxFriend
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of below Tabs Tex file into CSV format file : shell script needed

Request if some one could provide me shell script that converts the below "input file" to "CSV format file" given Name Domain Contact Phone Email Location ----------------------- ------------------------------------------------ ------- ----- ---------------------------------... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenath1037
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate average from CSV file using PERL script

Hi All I have this csv file and I need to calculate the average of FPS. FPS:27.7420, Interval:1314184238772 FPS:25.9798, Interval:1314184242646 FPS:27.4772, Interval:1314184246311 FPS:26.1623, Interval:1314184250159 FPS:26.4515, Interval:1314184253972 FPS:31.5896, Interval:1314184257163... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayachop
24 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in calling path file from Perl script.

Hi All, I need help in accessing a path file (path.xyz_pqr) not having a shell shebang and exporting paths in the following syntax, export DB_SCRIPT_PATH="/abc/aash/scripts/db_scripts/xyz_pqr" export SRC_FILES_DIR="/bcd/fdw/incoming/xyz_pqr" I need to use the path contained in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtatic
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to modify csv file

Hi Friends, I want to convert a csv file into a ordinary .txt file. I am able to convert but I want the output to look as shown below in the .txt file table findhost= { {"xyz","abc"}, {"rxz","mmz"}, {"vrr","nnz"}, } default={"NONE"} My current perl script #!/usr/bin/env perl... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
12 Replies
JOIN(1) 							   User Commands							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - join lines of two files on a common field SYNOPSIS
join [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
For each pair of input lines with identical join fields, write a line to standard output. The default join field is the first, delimited by blanks. When FILE1 or FILE2 (not both) is -, read standard input. -a FILENUM also print unpairable lines from file FILENUM, where FILENUM is 1 or 2, corresponding to FILE1 or FILE2 -e EMPTY replace missing input fields with EMPTY -i, --ignore-case ignore differences in case when comparing fields -j FIELD equivalent to '-1 FIELD -2 FIELD' -o FORMAT obey FORMAT while constructing output line -t CHAR use CHAR as input and output field separator -v FILENUM like -a FILENUM, but suppress joined output lines -1 FIELD join on this FIELD of file 1 -2 FIELD join on this FIELD of file 2 --check-order check that the input is correctly sorted, even if all input lines are pairable --nocheck-order do not check that the input is correctly sorted --header treat the first line in each file as field headers, print them without trying to pair them -z, --zero-terminated line delimiter is NUL, not newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Unless -t CHAR is given, leading blanks separate fields and are ignored, else fields are separated by CHAR. Any FIELD is a field number counted from 1. FORMAT is one or more comma or blank separated specifications, each being 'FILENUM.FIELD' or '0'. Default FORMAT outputs the join field, the remaining fields from FILE1, the remaining fields from FILE2, all separated by CHAR. If FORMAT is the keyword 'auto', then the first line of each file determines the number of fields output for each line. Important: FILE1 and FILE2 must be sorted on the join fields. E.g., use "sort -k 1b,1" if 'join' has no options, or use "join -t ''" if 'sort' has no options. Note, comparisons honor the rules specified by 'LC_COLLATE'. If the input is not sorted and some lines cannot be joined, a warning message will be given. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Haertel. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report join translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
comm(1), uniq(1) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/join> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) join invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 JOIN(1)