Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find a string and extract a value from a file Post 302350733 by durden_tyler on Friday 4th of September 2009 07:15:44 PM
Old 09-04-2009
Or -

Code:
$
$ cat f1
first line
n0=7.00 !Central density [10**19 m-3]
third line
$
$ perl -nle '/^n0=(.*?) / && print $1' f1
$
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract data from a find string

Can any one please lend a helping hand here? eg. find /tough -name temp1 -print After finding the location of all temp1 files. I need to extract some data( some are multiple others are just one entry) from each of the temp file. eg Order_Error{"aaaa") Order_Error("bbba") ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: odogbolu98
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string from a file

Input File: ===================================== "Server1" srvgrp="group1" srvid=10 CLOPT="-A -r -e /path/logfile -o /path/stdout" VAR1=0666 VAR2=N VAR3=0666 MIN=3 VAR4=4 VAR5=N VAR6=FASTPATH VAR7=5 VAR8=86400 VAR9=Y ... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaustubh137
20 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file and extract another string to a variable

Hi, guys. I have one question: I need to search for a string in a file, and then extract another string from the file and assign it to a variable. For example: the contents of the file (group) is below: ... ftp:x:23: mail:x:34 ... testing:x:2001 sales:x:2002 development:x:2003 ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string from file

Below are the content of my file and i need to extract the 6 digit numbers after the word barcode, how can i do this? for example i need to extract 004119,004275,004030 to a new file. Logically move media ID 004119 (barcode 004119) from standalone to slot 18. Logically move media ID 004275... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shehzad_m
9 Replies

5. Linux

Find String in FileName and move the String to new File if not found

Hi all, I have a question.. Here is my requirement..I have 500 files in a path say /a/b/c I have some numbers in a file which are comma seperated...and I wanted to check if the numbers are present in the FileName in the path /a/b/c..if the number is there in the file that is fine..but if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: us_pokiri
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string between 2 ref string from a file

Hi, May i ask if someone share some command for extracting a string between 2 ref string in a txt file My objective: i had a file with multiple lines and wants only to extract the string "watch?v=IbkAXOmEHpY" or "watch?v=<11 random character>", when i used "grep 'watch?=*' i got a results per... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a specific string from a file

Hi, I have a file whose contents are as follows. 2013-03-08/15:09:20.134 INFO 00000000-00000000 0034 09700400 CON_IN SessionID:ED5E1400-4805-85E2-17B2-5BE45684886A Connection ID:ED5E1400-4805-68F1-BB1D-F06496BCF910 TO:<sip:51234999@10.239.94.146:5060 FROM:<sip:9302280716@97.208.31.7:51024... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SunilB2011
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract a String from log file

Hi i am having a logfile which contain lot of entires, but i need extract a word after if i found a line that contains a particular string as "ENROLLMENT_EXCEPTION - Exception". please help me in getting a script to do this. Regards C. Suresh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeeva1907
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string from a file

I have a file with below contents. INCLUDE INCLUDE SYSLIB(SANJ) INCLUDE SYSLIB(BIS) NAME BQTFL(R) dfdg fgbb NAME B i want to grep for "INCLUDE SYSLIB" in the file and do some operation so that my output will be in the bracketed value as below. SANJ BIS Pls let me know how can i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in file and find the all records by string

Hello I would like to get know how to do this: I got a big file (about 1GB) and I need to find a string (for instance by grep ) and then find all records in this file based on a string. Thanks for advice. Martin (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mape
12 Replies
cat(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cat(1)

Name
       cat - concatenate and print data

Syntax
       cat [ -b ] [ -e ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -u ] [ -v ] file...

Description
       The  command reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output.  Therefore, to display the file on the standard output you
       type:
       cat file
       To concatenate two files and place the result on the third you type:
       cat file1 file2 > file3
       To concatenate two files and append them to a third you type:
       cat file1 file2 >> file3
       If no input file is given, or if a minus sign (-) is encountered as an argument, reads from the standard input file.  Output is buffered in
       1024-byte blocks unless the standard output is a terminal, in which case it is line buffered.  The utility supports the processing of 8-bit
       characters.

Options
       -b   Ignores blank lines and precedes each output line with its line number.

-e   Displays a dollar sign ($) at the end of each output line.

-n   Precedes all output lines (including blank lines) with line numbers.

-s   Squeezes adjacent blank lines from output and single spaces output.

-t   Displays non-printing characters (including tabs) in output.  In addition to those representations used with the -v  option,  all  tab
	    characters are displayed as ^I.

-u   Unbuffers output.

-v   Displays  non-printing  characters (excluding tabs and newline) as the ^x.	If the character is in the range octal 0177 to octal 0241,
	    it is displayed as M-x. The delete character (octal 0177) displays as ^?.  For example, is displayed as ^X.

See Also
       cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1)

cat(1)