Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File Size calculation with AWK Post 302350625 by jim mcnamara on Friday 4th of September 2009 11:04:38 AM
Old 09-04-2009
I cannot tell what is going on BUT - awk uses double precision arithmetic. It supports number up to 10^308 on your system:
Code:
> file `which awk`
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk:      ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped
> echo "12345678910 12345678910" | awk '{sum=$1; sum+=$2; print sum}'
> echo "12345678910 12345678910" | nawk '{sum=$1; sum+=$2; print sum}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk an file size

I have been using x=ls -la "$f" | awk '{print $5}' This allows me to the size of all the files in $f and echo $x later . The only problem is instead of protecting the file size format of ls -la which is right to left, it rearranges it and reads it left to right. Cyborg was kind... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrchcol
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk calculation

Hallo all, I have a script which creates an output ... see below: root@a7germ:/tmp/pax > cat 20061117.txt 523.047 521.273 521.034 517.367 516.553 517.793 513.114 513.940 I would like to use awk to calculate the (a)total sum of the numbers (b) The average of the numbers. Please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Partitioning script for rescue mode (disk size calculation)

Hello! I need to write partitioning script wich would work in rescue mode. It will prepare partitions and unpack linux on it. However I need to calculate whole size of the disk and create: /dev/sda1 --> One big partition (minus (2*size of memory) for swap) /dev/sda2 --> Swap partition... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pug123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk calculation problem

I have a list of coordinate data, sampled below. 54555209 784672723 I want it as: 545552.09 7846727.23 Below is my script: BEGIN {FS= " "; OFS= ","} {print $1*.01,$2*.01} This is my outcome: 5.5e7 7.8e8 How do I tell awk that I want to keep all the digits instead of outputting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ndnkyd
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file size limit

My code is awk '{ out=split(FILENAME,a,"/") sub(/\./,"_",a) sub(/\-/,"_",a) NEWSTRING="main_"a"_"a"(" # The word we want to insert gsub(/main\(/,NEWSTRING); # the word to be replaced print "Main becomes ",NEWSTRING")","in file ",FILENAME >> "/home/ds2/test/NEW2.txt" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: senior_ahmed
4 Replies

6. Programming

arithmetic calculation using awk

hi there again, i need to do a simple division with my data with a number of rows. i think i wanted to have a simple output like this one: col1 col2 col3 val1 val2 val1/val2 valn valm valn/valm any suggestion is very much appreciated. thanks much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Size calculation MB to GB

pcmpath query device |awk 'BEGIN{print "TYPE\tDEVICE NAME\tSERIAL\tSIZE\tHOSTNAME"} /DEVICE/ { disk=$5 printf "%s\t", $7 printf "%s\t", disk getline; printf "%s\t", substr($2, length($2)-3) ("bootinfo -s " disk) | getline; printf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split and awk calculation in the same command

I am trying to run the awk below. My question is when I split the input, then run anotherawk to perform a calculation using that splitas the input there are no issues. When I try to combine them the output is not correct, is the split not working or did I do it wrong? Thank you :). input ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk calculation with zero as N/A

In the below awk, I am trying to calculate percent for a given id. It is very close the problem is when the # being used in the calculation is zero. I am not sure how to code this condition into the awk as it happens frequently. The portion in italics was an attempt but that lead to an error. Thank... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk percentage calculation from a file

i have a file say test with the below mentioned details Folder Name Total space Space used /test/test1 500.1GB 112.0 GB /test/test2 3.2 TB 5TB /test/test3 3TB 100GB i need to calculate percentage of each row based on total space and space used and copy... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkitesh
9 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)