Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 5.8 - BinaryFile - Endianness Post 302350064 by jlliagre on Wednesday 2nd of September 2009 05:37:07 PM
Old 09-02-2009
You are missing what endianness is about. It is absolutly expected a file content is the same regardless of the CPU architecture. What differs is how numerical values are interpreted.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

application compiled on solaris 10 throwing error when executed on solaris 9

I have compiled my application on Solaris 10 with following description SunOS ldg1 5.10 Generic_138888-03 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-T6320 The compiler is Sun C++ 5.9 SunOS_sparc Patch 124863-01 2007/07/25 But when installing the application on Solaris 9 SunOS odcarch02 5.9... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash_bit2k2
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Unable to login using ssh,telnet onto my solaris machine with solaris 10 installed

Hi, I am unable to login into my terminal hosting Solaris 10 and get the below error message "Server refused to allocate pty ld.so.1: sh: fatal: libc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory " Is there anyways i can get into my machine and what kind of changes are required to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to know endianness of a machine

hi I have a ubuntu machine and want to know the endianness of the system.... How would i get to know..... The information of my machine is: uname -a 42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:50 UTC 201 1 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux and lsb_release -a No LSB modules are available.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankita Singlaa
6 Replies

4. Solaris

How to add Solaris text console to Solaris grub2 menu?

Hi, I am new to sloaris and just instlled the solaris 11.2, i know little more about linux, i open the /boot/grub/grub.cfg in solaris and there is many other entries forl solaris 11.2 one of them is for 'Oracle Solaris 11.2 text console' but at boot grub2 only show the first default entry that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamsat
1 Replies

5. AIX

IBM TDS/SDS (LDAP) - can I mix endianness among servers in an instance ?

I'd like to add some x/linux-based servers to my current AIX-based TDS/SDS server community. Reading the Fine Install Guide (rtfig ?) I believe this may be covered by the section "Upgrade an instance of a previous version to a different computer" i.e. I'm going to install latest/greatest SDS on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maraixadm
4 Replies
platform(n)						       Tcl Bundled Packages						       platform(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform ?1.0.4? platform::generic platform::identify platform::patterns identifier _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a machine running Tcl. Whilst Tcl provides the tcl_platform array for identifying the current architecture (in particular, the platform and machine elements) this is not always sufficient. This is because (on Unix machines) tcl_platform reflects the values returned by the uname command and these are not standardized across platforms and architectures. In addition, on at least one platform (AIX) the tcl_platform(machine) contains the CPU serial number. Consequently, individual applications need to manipulate the values in tcl_platform (along with the output of system specific utilities) - which is both inconvenient for developers, and introduces the potential for inconsistencies in identifying architectures and in naming con- ventions. The platform package prevents such fragmentation - i.e., it establishes a standard naming convention for architectures running Tcl and makes it more convenient for developers to identify the current architecture a Tcl program is running on. COMMANDS
platform::identify This command returns an identifier describing the platform the Tcl core is running on. The returned identifier has the general for- mat OS-CPU. The OS part of the identifier may contain details like kernel version, libc version, etc., and this information may con- tain dashes as well. The CPU part will not contain dashes, making the preceding dash the last dash in the result. platform::generic This command returns a simplified identifier describing the platform the Tcl core is running on. In contrast to platform::identify it leaves out details like kernel version, libc version, etc. The returned identifier has the general format OS-CPU. platform::patterns identifier This command takes an identifier as returned by platform::identify and returns a list of identifiers describing compatible architec- tures. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform 1.0.4 platform(n)