Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Gurus needed to diagnose severe performance degradation Post 302350014 by Neo on Wednesday 2nd of September 2009 01:52:08 PM
Old 09-02-2009
A 1GB Ethernet connection can never approach 1GB/S because of the collision algorithm used by the Ethernet MAC protocol specification.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I am finger pointing, but you should have measured network performance, including throughput and latency, on both channels (old and new) before cutting over.

Ethernet does not perform well under heavy loads because of the way Ethernet works (aloha, collision, backoff) and when you add another protocol on top, the performance is worse.

A directly attached fiber channel should be far superior to ethernet, in this case. The only way to get past "finger pointing" is to build a baseline of the system before production. You have to know the maximum throughput and latency of the fiber channel and the same for the ethernet channel.

Then, you move into the next phase of testing (for a commercial applications). Without baselining, the team is always asking for trouble because you cannot know the system constraints and bottlenecks.

Normally, the network communications channel is the bottleneck. Then, the next problem is the I/O at the network interface level. These tend to perform worse than directly attached disk IO, etc.

I once worked in NYC on a TCP/IP throughput problem where people were about to get fired over the problems with production. There were finger pointing between all (network, system, and dB admins). Finally, I forced them to let me run TCP spray with the system shut down (or it was a parallel system, I can't recall), and then everyone said "Ah!! It it the network!)

Start at the network layer and work up, just the the TCP/IP protocol stack (or OSI stack, if you prefer). Without baselining, you are simply shooting in the dark and guessing. The fastest path to a solution is to take time and baseline the various critical systems, in this case, the network would be the best place to start.

Cheers.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED GURUS - Help!

I wish to substituite a string on each line but ONLY if it appears within double-quotes: this_string="abc#def#geh" # Comment here I wish to change the "#" characters within the double quoted string to "_": this_string="abc_def_geh" # Comment here ... but as you see, the "comment" hash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Simerian
2 Replies

2. Solaris

error notification and diagnose

Hi All, How does Solaris 9/10 alert the server? Where do you get the error on the server? Is there some kind of verifying of errors (like in AIX, CERTIFY resources or diagnose)? Please let me know. Thanks, itik (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

Severe Error while starting the System

Dear All, I am facing a unknown error, I start the Linux (RHEL 4 update 6) as usual. After starting the various services(like network,sendmail,portmap etc) a error appears suddenly. The error looks like : Post_create: setxattr failed, rc=28 (dev=hda2 ino=772685) Post_create: setxattr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhtar.bhat
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance degradation with KSH93

Hi, I have a script that calls an external program to perform some calculations and then I read with "grep" and "sed" values from the output files. I've noticed that performance of KSH93 degrades with every iteration. The output files are all the same size, so I don't understand why after the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.f.schulz
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance monitoring help needed.

How would i check for following? 1)open ports in my linux machine. 2)Hard disk read speed. 3)Hard disk write speed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

6. AIX

Diagnose high disk write IO

Hi, say for example if there is high disk write IO in one disk (detected from NMON), how to we identify what processes is writing on that particular disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngaisteve1
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Severe performance issue while 'grep'ing on large volume of data

Background ------------- The Unix flavor can be any amongst Solaris, AIX, HP-UX and Linux. I have below 2 flat files. File-1 ------ Contains 50,000 rows with 2 fields in each row, separated by pipe. Row structure is like Object_Id|Object_Name, as following: 111|XXX 222|YYY 333|ZZZ ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Souvik
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to diagnose the network

i have learnt a little bit of shell scripting but not alot. i want to write a script to diagnose the network using ping and another script to traceroute. how would i do this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stefanere2k9
6 Replies

9. AIX

Ld: 0711-851 SEVERE ERROR:

I need to install python 3.3.0 to AIX 6.1 I created folder where I want to install I downloaded files archive from python official website I extracted it into new folder and ran; 1)./configure --with-gcc="xlc_r" --with-cxx="xlC_r" --disable-ipv6 --prefix=my_folder CXX=xlC_r... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIX_30
2 Replies
News::Scan::Poster(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   News::Scan::Poster(3pm)

NAME
News::Scan::Poster - keep track of posters to a newsgroup SYNOPSIS
use News::Scan::Poster; my $poster = News::Scan::Poster->new($news_scan_article_obj); DESCRIPTION
This module provides a class whose objects can be used to keep track of cumulative statistics for posters to a Usenet newsgroup such as header volume or signature lines. CONSTRUCTOR
new ( ARTICLE ) "ARTICLE" should be a "News::Scan::Article" object or inherit from the "News::Scan::Article" class. "new" performs some initialization and returns a "News::Scan::Poster" object. METHODS
address ( [ ADDRESS ] ) Returns the address of this poster represented as a "Mail::Internet" object. If present, "ADDRESS" tells the object that the "Mail::Internet" object in "ADDRESS" is its address. idea. attrib ( [ ATTRIBUTION ] ) Returns some nice attribution for this poster. If present, "ATTRIBUTION" tells the object how it shall identify itself when asked. message_ids ( [ MESSAGE-ID ] ) Returns a list of Message-IDs attributed to this poster. If present, "MESSAGE-ID" is added to this list of this poster's articles. volume Returns the volume in bytes of the traffic generated by this poster. articles Returns the number of articles attributed to this poster. posted_to Returns a hash whose keys are newsgroup names and whose values are the number of times this poster has crossposted to the group of interest and the corresponding newsgroup. crossposts Returns the total number of crossposts this poster has sent through the group of interest. header_volume Returns the volume in bytes generated by this poster's headers. header_lines Returns the number of header lines generated by this poster. body_volume Returns the volume in bytes generated by this poster's message bodies. body_lines Returns the number of body lines generated by this poster. orig_volume Returns the volume in bytes of original content generated by this poster. orig_lines Returns the number of original lines generated by this poster. sig_volume Returns the volume in bytes generated by this poster's signatures. sig_lines Returns the number of signature lines generated by this poster. SEE ALSO
News::Scan, Mail::Address, News::Scan::Article AUTHOR
Greg Bacon <gbacon@cs.uah.edu> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997 Greg Bacon. All Rights Reserved. This library is free software. You may distribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2000-04-13 News::Scan::Poster(3pm)