Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Gurus needed to diagnose severe performance degradation Post 302349784 by methyl on Tuesday 1st of September 2009 08:00:34 PM
Old 09-01-2009
achenlie is correct. If you have dropped to half-duplex it will be chronically slow. Just re-patching a cable can be enough to cause this issue when autonegotiation is in force. If you have the problem it may well be fixed by a total cold start where you bring up the network first, then the storage, then the servers.
Imho whether Jumbo Packets will cause or cure a performance issue depends on the network hardware.

To get an idea of scale, can your DBA post the contents of the following Oracle 9i system table along with how long the Oracle server had been up at the time:

Code:
v$sysstat

This table includes i/o stats and other useful pointers such as counts of performance killers like disc sorts.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED GURUS - Help!

I wish to substituite a string on each line but ONLY if it appears within double-quotes: this_string="abc#def#geh" # Comment here I wish to change the "#" characters within the double quoted string to "_": this_string="abc_def_geh" # Comment here ... but as you see, the "comment" hash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Simerian
2 Replies

2. Solaris

error notification and diagnose

Hi All, How does Solaris 9/10 alert the server? Where do you get the error on the server? Is there some kind of verifying of errors (like in AIX, CERTIFY resources or diagnose)? Please let me know. Thanks, itik (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

Severe Error while starting the System

Dear All, I am facing a unknown error, I start the Linux (RHEL 4 update 6) as usual. After starting the various services(like network,sendmail,portmap etc) a error appears suddenly. The error looks like : Post_create: setxattr failed, rc=28 (dev=hda2 ino=772685) Post_create: setxattr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhtar.bhat
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance degradation with KSH93

Hi, I have a script that calls an external program to perform some calculations and then I read with "grep" and "sed" values from the output files. I've noticed that performance of KSH93 degrades with every iteration. The output files are all the same size, so I don't understand why after the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.f.schulz
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance monitoring help needed.

How would i check for following? 1)open ports in my linux machine. 2)Hard disk read speed. 3)Hard disk write speed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

6. AIX

Diagnose high disk write IO

Hi, say for example if there is high disk write IO in one disk (detected from NMON), how to we identify what processes is writing on that particular disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngaisteve1
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Severe performance issue while 'grep'ing on large volume of data

Background ------------- The Unix flavor can be any amongst Solaris, AIX, HP-UX and Linux. I have below 2 flat files. File-1 ------ Contains 50,000 rows with 2 fields in each row, separated by pipe. Row structure is like Object_Id|Object_Name, as following: 111|XXX 222|YYY 333|ZZZ ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Souvik
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to diagnose the network

i have learnt a little bit of shell scripting but not alot. i want to write a script to diagnose the network using ping and another script to traceroute. how would i do this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stefanere2k9
6 Replies

9. AIX

Ld: 0711-851 SEVERE ERROR:

I need to install python 3.3.0 to AIX 6.1 I created folder where I want to install I downloaded files archive from python official website I extracted it into new folder and ran; 1)./configure --with-gcc="xlc_r" --with-cxx="xlC_r" --disable-ipv6 --prefix=my_folder CXX=xlC_r... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIX_30
2 Replies
IGB(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    IGB(4)

NAME
igb -- Intel(R) PRO/1000 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet adapter driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device igb Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_igb_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The igb driver provides support for PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet adapters based on the Intel 82575 and 82576 Ethernet controller chips. The driver supports Transmit/Receive checksum offload and Jumbo Frames. Furthermore it supports TCP segmentation offload (TSO) on all adapters. The identification LEDs of the adapters supported by the igb driver can be controlled via the led(4) API for localization purposes. For questions related to hardware requirements, refer to the documentation supplied with your Intel PRO/1000 adapter. All hardware require- ments listed apply to use with FreeBSD. Support for Jumbo Frames is provided via the interface MTU setting. Selecting an MTU larger than 1500 bytes with the ifconfig(8) utility configures the adapter to receive and transmit Jumbo Frames. The maximum MTU size for Jumbo Frames is 9216. This driver supports hardware assisted VLANs. The igb driver supports the following media types: autoselect Enables auto-negotiation for speed and duplex. 10baseT/UTP Sets 10Mbps operation. Use the mediaopt option to select full-duplex mode. 100baseTX Sets 100Mbps operation. Use the mediaopt option to select full-duplex mode. 1000baseSX Sets 1000Mbps operation. Only full-duplex mode is supported at this speed. 1000baseTX Sets 1000Mbps operation. Only full-duplex mode is supported at this speed. The igb driver supports the following media options: full-duplex Forces full-duplex operation half-duplex Forces half-duplex operation. Only use mediaopt to set the driver to full-duplex. If mediaopt is not specified, the driver defaults to half-duplex. For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8). HARDWARE
The igb driver supports Gigabit Ethernet adapters based on the Intel 82575 and 82576 controller chips: o Intel Gigabit ET Dual Port Server Adapter (82576) o Intel Gigabit VT Quad Port Server Adapter (82575) LOADER TUNABLES
Tunables can be set at the loader(8) prompt before booting the kernel or stored in loader.conf(5). hw.igb.rxd Number of receive descriptors allocated by the driver. The default value is 256. The minimum is 80, and the maximum is 4096. hw.igb.txd Number of transmit descriptors allocated by the driver. The default value is 256. The minimum is 80, and the maximum is 4096. hw.igb.enable_aim If set to 1, enable Adaptive Interrupt Moderation. The default is to enable Adaptive Interrupt Moderation. DIAGNOSTICS
igb%d: Unable to allocate bus resource: memory A fatal initialization error has occurred. igb%d: Unable to allocate bus resource: interrupt A fatal initialization error has occurred. igb%d: watchdog timeout -- resetting The device has stopped responding to the network, or there is a problem with the network connection (cable). SUPPORT
For general information and support, go to the Intel support website at: http://support.intel.com. If an issue is identified with the released source code on the supported kernel with a supported adapter, email the specific information related to the issue to <freebsdnic@mailbox.intel.com>. FILES
/dev/led/igb* identification LED device nodes EXAMPLES
Make the identification LED of igb0 blink: echo f2 > /dev/led/igb0 Turn the identification LED of igb0 off again: echo 0 > /dev/led/igb0 SEE ALSO
altq(4), arp(4), em(4), led(4), netintro(4), ng_ether(4), polling(4), vlan(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The igb device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
The igb driver was written by Intel Corporation <freebsdnic@mailbox.intel.com>. BSD
May 14, 2010 BSD