Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl - setting a variable ?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl - setting a variable ? Post 302349582 by pludi on Tuesday 1st of September 2009 09:45:19 AM
Old 09-01-2009
Try it like this:
Code:
#!/bin/perl -w

sub xxtime() {
        my ($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year,$wday,$yday,$isdst)=localtime(time);
        my $datetime = sprintf "%4d-%02d-%02d %02d:%02d:%02d\n",$year+1900,$mon+1,$mday,$hour,$min,$sec;
        return $datetime;
}

my $datetime = xxtime();

print "\n time date equals $datetime\n";

With "my" you create a lexically scoped variable, meaning that variable is only valid within the innermost enclosing block. So the variable $datetime you declare in xxtime() is only valid within this function. To use it outside you have to assign the value return()ed to a new variable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting CC variable

I am trying to install GCC-3.1.1 on an SGI Indigo2. I already have MIPSpro 7.2.1 installed. However, when I try to configure GCC-3.1.1, I get the message "cc ERROR: cc -o conftest -g failed, You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler." What is the name of the MIPSpro c++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdbanas
1 Replies

2. Programming

setting CC variable

I am trying to install GCC-3.1.1 on an SGI Indigo2. I already have MIPSpro 7.2.1 installed. However, when I try to configure GCC-3.1.1, I get the message "cc ERROR: cc -o conftest -g failed, You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler." What is the name of the MIPSpro c++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdbanas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting a variable

I want to set a variable to be any number of dashes. Rather than doing the following: MYVAR="------------------" I'd like to be able to set the variable to, say, 80 dashes but don't want to have to count 80 dashes. Is there a way to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable setting help please

L=0 cat test.sh | while read line do L='expr $1 + 1' echo $L done echo $l >>> the echo $L at the end produces 0 but i actually want it to produce the number of lines - any idea why this is happening? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: penfold
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting variable

How do you set a varible with information that contains a string and also another variable? For example: subject="Attention: $name / This $type needs your attention" The $xxxx are of course other variables that I instantiated earlier. Is it like Java where you have to use double quotes and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: briskbaby
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting a variable

In my script, I have the following command.... du -sk `ls -ltd sales12|awk '{print $11}'`|awk '{print $1}' it returns the value 383283 I want to modify my script to capture that value into a variable. So, I try doing the following... var1=`du -sk `ls -ltd sales12|awk '{print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tumblez
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with setting a variable!

I am working within a while loop and i am trying to set a variable that will read out each count of the files. the problem is the count variable i have set up gives me a total and not the individual count of each file. in the data area there is 4 abc.dat and 1 def.dat. how can i do this??? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

8. Programming

Setting Environment variable..!

Hi, I already have one CPP program which invokes the C program.And the C program contains whole function definitions..!This is a working program..I have to enable the logs in both CPP as well as in the C program ..!So I am reading the enviornmental variable log path from the CPP and doing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kattoor
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting a variable within if block

Hi, i have a variable which i would like to set inside an if block for example IS_VAR=0 if then IS_VAR=1 fi echo IS_VAR the last echo statement gives 0.So setting variables in the if block doesnt have effect outside the block?Is there any workaround for this? Thanks , Padmini (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
11 Replies

10. AIX

Perl error : perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

This's my problem perl: warning: Setting locale failed. perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings: LC_ALL = "en_US.UTF-8", LC__FASTMSG = "true", LC_MESSAGES = "", LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8", LC_TYPE = "en_US.UTF-8", LANG = "EN_US"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
1 Replies
PMDAMYSQL(1)						       Performance Co-Pilot						      PMDAMYSQL(1)

NAME
pmdamysql - MySQL database PMDA DESCRIPTION
pmdamysql is a Performance Co-Pilot PMDA which extracts live performance data from a running MySQL database. INSTALLATION
pmdamysql uses a configuration file from (in this order): o /etc/pcpdbi.conf o $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/mysql/mysql.conf This file can contain overridden values (Perl code) for the settings listed at the start of pmdamysql.pl, namely: o database name (see DBI(3) for details) o database user name o database pass word Once this is setup, you can access the names and values for the mysql performance metrics by doing the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/mysql # ./Install If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/mysql # ./Remove pmdamysql is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. Binary Status values in text Some of the status values are in the form of YES/NO or ON/OFF. Since these cannot be intepreted by tools like PMIE, they have been duplicated with a _num extension and the values of 1 (YES/ON) or 0 (NO/OFF). Eg: o mysql.slave_status.slave_io_running o mysql.slave_status.slave_io_running_num FILES
/etc/pcpdbi.conf configuration file for all PCP database monitors $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/mysql/mysql.conf configuration file for pmdamysql $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/mysql/Install installation script for the pmdamysql agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/mysql/Remove undo installation script for the pmdamysql agent $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/mysql.log default log file for error messages from pmdamysql SEE ALSO
pmcd(1), pmdadbping.pl(1) and DBI(3). # vi: sw=4 ts=4 et: 3.8.10 Performance Co-Pilot PMDAMYSQL(1)