Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copy Directories excluding files Post 302349418 by karthik82 on Tuesday 1st of September 2009 03:21:54 AM
Old 09-01-2009
Copy Directories excluding files

Hi guys,
I want to copy folder and sub folders only. I don't want the files. If i use cp -r command it will copy entirely with files.

Could any one suggest me.

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy multiple files in different directories

I have a report file that is generated every day by a scheduled process. Each day the file is written to a directory named .../blah_blah/Y07/MM-DD-YY/reportmmddyy.tab I want to copy all of this reports to a separate directory without having to do it one by one. However, if I try cp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken2834
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two directories and copy differing files

Hello there, I'm a total noob to shell scripting. :) What I want to do is compare the contents of Folder A and Folder B, and copy any files in Folder A that do not exist in Folder B over to Folder B. I have gotten so far as: diff -rq folderA folderB which returns the names of the files,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raaaaaa
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i copy those files into other directories have the same name

how can i copy those files into other directories have the same name but different in the end i have files in directory called test: 10_10_asdadfsdfad.txt 10_10_11_asdawqefwkjasd.txt 10_10_11_12_asdafjjhoqwd.txt i want to put them in exist directory thart i have on my system i have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: t17
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories and sub directories recursively excluding files

Hi, Please help me, how to get all the direcotries, its sub directories and its sub directories recursively, need to exclude all the files in the process. I wanted to disply using a unix command all the directories recursively excluding files. I tried 'ls -FR' but that display files as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files by automatically creating directories

I am in a situation where I have some hundreds of thousands of files in a directory (name of directory: big_directory). Now, working on this directory is extremely slow. I now plan to do this: Copy 1000 files in each of the directories by creating the directories automatically. All files have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files/directories excluding multiple paterns

my directory structure is like below: basedir\ p.txt q.htm r.java b\ abc.htm xyz.java c\ p.htm q.java rst.txt my requirement is i want to copy all the files and directories... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayyadavmca
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive search for files and copy to new directories

So I have extremely limited experience with shell scripting and I was hoping someone could point out a few commands I need to use in order to pull this off with a shell script like BASH or whatnot (this is on OS X). I need to search out for filenames with account numbers in the name itself... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flyawaymike
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find all files in the current directory excluding hidden files and directories

Find all files in the current directory only excluding hidden directories and files. For the below command, though it's not deleting hidden files.. it is traversing through the hidden directories and listing normal which should be avoided. `find . \( ! -name ".*" -prune \) -mtime +${n_days}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksailesh1
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files in respective directories

Hi Guys, I need to copy the files to respective directories based on name of the file. My script is something like below con=$1 for file in `cat $con` do file_tmp=$(ls -t1 $path| grep -i $file | head -n 1) echo $file_tmp if then cp $path$file_tmp $DIR/ap if then... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Master_Mind
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command excluding directories and some files

hello. I try to print a list of files but excluding some directories and some files. I would like to write a command for : find "from_dir" "ignore dir1, dir2, ..." "ignore file1, file2,...." "where file are older than 2017-02-03T06:00:00" Note that "DO_IT" is a local function in the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
5 Replies
FOLDER(1)                                                            [nmh-1.5]                                                           FOLDER(1)

NAME
folder, folders - set/list current folder/message SYNOPSIS
folder [+folder] [msg] [-all | -noall] [-create | -nocreate] [-fast | -nofast] [-header | -noheader] [-recurse | -norecurse] [-total | -nototal] [-list | -nolist] [-push | -pop] [-pack | -nopack] [-print] [-verbose | -noverbose] [-version] [-help] folders is equivalent to folder -all DESCRIPTION
Since the nmh environment is the shell, it is easy to lose track of the current folder from day to day. When folder is given the -print switch (the default), folder will list the current folder, the number of messages in it, the range of the messages (low-high), and the cur- rent message within the folder, and will flag extra files if they exist. An example of this summary is: inbox+ has 16 messages ( 3- 22); cur= 5. If a +folder and/or msg are specified, they will become the current folder and/or message. By comparison, when a +folder argument is given, this corresponds to a "cd" operation in the shell; when no +folder argument is given, this corresponds roughly to a "pwd" operation in the shell. If the specified (or default) folder doesn't exist, the default action is to query the user as to whether the folder should be created; when standard input is not a tty, the answer to the query is assumed to be "yes". Specifying -create will cause folder to create new folders without any query. (This is the easy way to create an empty folder for use later.) Specifying -nocreate will cause folder to exit without creating a non-existant folder. Multiple Folders Specifying -all will produce a summary line for each top-level folder in the user's nmh directory, sorted alphabetically. (If folder is invoked by a name ending with "s" (e.g. folders), -all is assumed). Specifying -recurse with -all will also produce a line for all sub- folders. These folders are all preceded by the read-only folders, which occur as "atr-cur-" entries in the user's nmh context. For exam- ple: FOLDER # MESSAGES RANGE CUR (OTHERS) /var/work/folder has 35 messages ( 1- 35); cur=23. /usr/bugs/Mail has 82 messages ( 1-108); cur=82. ff has no messages. inbox+ has 16 messages ( 3- 22); cur= 5. mh has 76 messages (15- 76); cur=70. notes has 2 messages ( 1- 2); cur= 1. ucom has 124 messages ( 1-124); cur= 6; (others). TOTAL = 339 messages in 7 folders The "+" after inbox indicates that it is the current folder. The "(others)" indicates that the folder ucom has files which aren't mes- sages. These files may either be sub-folders, or files that don't belong under the nmh file naming scheme. The header is output if either a -all or a -header switch is specified. It is suppressed by -noheader. The folder and message totals are output if either a -all or a -total switch is specified. It is suppressed by -nototal. If -fast is given, only the folder name (or names in the case of -all) will be listed. (This is faster because the folders need not be read.) If a +folder is given along with the -all switch, folder will, in addition to setting the current folder, list the top-level subfolders for the current folder (with -norecurse) or list all sub-folders under the current folder recursively (with -recurse). If msg is supplied, together with +folder or without -all, it will become the current message of +folder (if it had been supplied) or the current folder. The -recurse switch lists each folder recursively, so use of this option effectively defeats the speed enhancement of the -fast option, since each folder must be searched for subfolders. Nevertheless, the combination of these options is useful. Compacting a Folder The -pack switch will compress the message names in the designated folders, removing holes in message numbering. The -verbose switch directs folder to tell the user the general actions that it is taking to compress the folder. The Folder Stack The -push switch directs folder to push the current folder onto the folder-stack, and make the +folder argument the current folder. If +folder is not given, the current folder and the top of the folder-stack are exchanged. This corresponds to the "pushd" operation in the shell. The -pop switch directs folder to discard the top of the folder-stack, after setting the current folder to that value. No +folder argument is allowed. This corresponds to the "popd" operation in the shell. The -push switch and the -pop switch are mutually exclusive: the last occurrence of either one overrides any previous occurrence of the other. Both of these switches also set -list by default. The -list switch directs folder to list the contents of the folder-stack. No +folder argument is allowed. After a successful -push or -pop, the -list action is taken, unless a -nolist switch follows them on the command line. This corresponds to the "dirs" operation in the shell. The -push, -pop, and -list switches turn off -print. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Folder-Protect: To set mode when creating a new folder Folder-Stack: To determine the folder stack SEE ALSO
refile(1), mhpath(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msg' defaults to none `-nofast' `-noheader' `-nototal' `-nopack' `-norecurse' `-noverbose' `-print' is the default if no -list, -push, or -pop is specified `-list' is the default if -push, or -pop is specified CONTEXT
If +folder and/or msg are given, they will become the current folder and/or message. BUGS
There is no way to restore the default behavior (to ask the user whether to create a non-existant folder) after -create or -nocreate is given. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 FOLDER(1)