Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sending a simple mail from command line Post 302349149 by McGuywer on Monday 31st of August 2009 08:16:06 AM
Old 08-31-2009
Sending a simple mail from command line

Hi,

How would one send an email from the command line. Just a simple email. I used mailx -s "test" address@server.domain then hit enter.

Nothing happens then, I hit Ctrl + C twice, then I can start a new command again.

Any help? Tips? I did read up on this, but the examples is much more complicated than what I would like to do.

PS: I can't seem to post in the sub forums.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

uuencode: command not found when sending mail in LINUX

HI all, When i run this command below i get this error: (cat /root/body.txt ; uuencode -m Summaryfile.zip) | mailx -s "completed" sandeep@help.com bash: uuencode: command not found Does anyone know why this is happening? Or is there any alternative to send mail with an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending mail using mailx command

Hi All, Please help me regarding sending mails using mailx command in unix. I will be glad if some one give me the sintax of this. I tried using the below but vain. mailx -s 'Hi' 'xyz@abc.com' Regards, Manas (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending mail through mailx command

Hi I need help to send mail through mailx command . Currenlt my program is like #!/bin/ksh -x echo " " >> path.lst MAIL_LIST='someone1@gamil.com someone2@gamil.com someone3@gamil.com' cat path.lst | mailx -s "path loaction" $MAIL_LIST echo "End" exit 0 Its work fine . But i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_isha
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop sending mail after certain number of mail

Hi guys... I am busy writing a script to notify me via an mail if my application is down. I have done that. Now I want this script to stop sending mails after five mails were sent but the script should keep on checking the application. When the application is up again that count should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subject line missing while sending mail

Hi, I have below script PROJECT_NAME=UDL/UDL_Weekly sub= echo ${PROJECT_NAME}|cut -d "/" -f2 cat pr.sh|mail -s "`hostname`: $sub failed" sonu.pal@xyz.com While running the script I am receiving the subject line in mail as " podetlsapp01: failed' instead of " podetlsapp01: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Develop a simple command line parser

I want to develop a simple command line parser so that then I can print the values of different options :tions. -analyze -filename<fileName> Via man pages I got to know getopt command would be used. Buut how to use it.. how to encrypt this in a perl script.. grateful if u could help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhamsachdeva
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Problems sending mail: Difference between Mail and Mailx?

Whats the difference between mail and mailx? I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem where I can send mail from server A with this `echo $MESSAGE | mail -s "$SUBJECT" -r $FROM $RECIPIENTS` command but executing the same command from server B throws me this error (Both servers are RHEL) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mail in UNIX with body and attachment(.txt) using sendmail command

Hi All, In my .ksh script, I am sending an email with body and attachment (.txt) using sendmail command. I am able to receive the attachement along with the body of the mail. But I am getting special characters along with the content in the .txt. Also the alignment is incorrect. Can you please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: KRR
7 Replies

9. Linux

A simple question about mail command

Simple question: i read mail n°4,how to return to list of messages? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
2 Replies
REPORTER-MAILX(1)						 LIBREPORT MANUAL						 REPORTER-MAILX(1)

NAME
reporter-mailx - Sends contents of a problem directory via email. SYNOPSIS
reporter-mailx [-v] -d DIR [-c CONFFILE] DESCRIPTION
The tool reads a problem directory, composes an email message from the directory contents, and uses mailx to send the message to specified recipient. Properties of email messages can be specified in a configuration file, and via environment variables. Configuration file Configuration file contains entries in a format "Option = Value". The options are: Subject The subject of the email message. EmailFrom The sender of the email message. EmailTo The recipient of the email message. SendBinaryData Use yes/true/on/1 to attach all binary files from the problem directory to the email. This can cause the emails to be very large. Integration with ABRT events reporter-mailx can be used as a reporter, to allow users report problems via email when they decide to do it. This usage is pre-configured in /etc/libreport/events.d/mailx_event.conf: EVENT=report_Mailx reporter-mailx It can also be used to notify administrator automatically when a problem happens. When this is desired, modify the event configuration file to run the tool on the post-create event: EVENT=post-create reporter-mailx OPTIONS
-d DIR Path to problem directory. -c CONFFILE Path to configuration file. When used in ABRT event system, the file contains site-wide configuration. Users can change the values via environment variables. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
Environment variables take precedence over values provided in the configuration file. Mailx_Subject Subject of the email message. Mailx_EmailFrom Sender of the email message. Mailx_EmailTo Recipient of the email message. If nor the environment variable nor the corresponding option is defined, the message is send to "root@localhost". Mailx_SendBinaryData Use yes/true/on/1 to attach all binary files from the problem directory to the email. AUTHORS
o ABRT team LIBREPORT 2.1.11 06/18/2014 REPORTER-MAILX(1)