Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: lock the file in linux
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat lock the file in linux Post 302349141 by chuikingman on Monday 31st of August 2009 07:58:41 AM
Old 08-31-2009
Tools lock the file in linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Perl's flock() does give you a lock on a file, if you use LOCK_EX, and all other processes use that mechanism too. If they don't, you're out of luck. If you don't want the file to be modified, change the permissions to read-only for everyone else (but root will still be able to modify it).
Hi,
I use flock with exclusive lock , but I can still edit and modified the file .
I do not want to use chmod or chattr to immune the file ...
Any other way in perl can do this ?????

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to lock keyboard without using lock command

how can I lock my keyboard while I'm away from the computer without using lock command. What other commands gives me the option to lock keyboard device? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dianayun
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lock File

Hi, We have a lock file being created called lck8c0001 created in Unixware 2.1.2. This is locking a printer. According to some websites, 8c0001 relates to the device name. How does one link 8c0001 to those devices listed in the /dev folder? I have done a ps -lp for all printers and have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: canman
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sheel Scripting to lock 2 TCP unused ports in solaris and linux

My requirement is I need to write a program in shell scripting to check 2 TCP unused unique port numbers in SOLARIS and I have to lock the same ports so that it will not be used in any other new process and the same port numbers should be used and locked in the LINUX machine to communicate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreeramr30
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Security Question: Lock after invalid login, Session Lock and Required Minimum Password Length

Hello all, If anyone has time, I have a few questions: How do I do the following in Linux. We are using Red Hat and Oracle Enterprise Linux, which is based on Red Hat too. 1. How to lock the account after a few (like 3) invalid password attempts? 2. How do you lock a screen after 30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nstarz
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Testing privileges -lock lockfile /var/lock/subsys/..- Permission denied

Hi all, I have to test some user priviliges. The goal is to be sure that an unauthorized user can't restart some modules (ssh, mysql etc...). I'm trying to automate it with a shell script but in same cases I got the syslog broadcast message. Is there any way to simply get a return code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux lock problem

Hi Team, I have a requirement to access a shared resource from the user and interrupt context. What type of locking mechanism I have to use for this. Can any body give advice on this. Thanks in advance. -Shiva (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivakoteswarra
4 Replies
FLOCK(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  FLOCK(2)

NAME
flock -- apply or remove an advisory lock on an open file LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/file.h> #define LOCK_SH 0x01 /* shared file lock */ #define LOCK_EX 0x02 /* exclusive file lock */ #define LOCK_NB 0x04 /* do not block when locking */ #define LOCK_UN 0x08 /* unlock file */ int flock(int fd, int operation); DESCRIPTION
The flock() system call applies or removes an advisory lock on the file associated with the file descriptor fd. A lock is applied by speci- fying an operation argument that is one of LOCK_SH or LOCK_EX with the optional addition of LOCK_NB. To unlock an existing lock operation should be LOCK_UN. Advisory locks allow cooperating processes to perform consistent operations on files, but do not guarantee consistency (i.e., processes may still access files without using advisory locks possibly resulting in inconsistencies). The locking mechanism allows two types of locks: shared locks and exclusive locks. At any time multiple shared locks may be applied to a file, but at no time are multiple exclusive, or both shared and exclusive, locks allowed simultaneously on a file. A shared lock may be upgraded to an exclusive lock, and vice versa, simply by specifying the appropriate lock type; this results in the pre- vious lock being released and the new lock applied (possibly after other processes have gained and released the lock). Requesting a lock on an object that is already locked normally causes the caller to be blocked until the lock may be acquired. If LOCK_NB is included in operation, then this will not happen; instead the call will fail and the error EWOULDBLOCK will be returned. NOTES
Locks are on files, not file descriptors. That is, file descriptors duplicated through dup(2) or fork(2) do not result in multiple instances of a lock, but rather multiple references to a single lock. If a process holding a lock on a file forks and the child explicitly unlocks the file, the parent will lose its lock. The flock(), fcntl(2), and lockf(3) locks are compatible. Processes using different locking interfaces can cooperate over the same file safely. However, only one of such interfaces should be used within the same process. If a file is locked by a process through flock(), any record within the file will be seen as locked from the viewpoint of another process using fcntl(2) or lockf(3), and vice versa. Processes blocked awaiting a lock may be awakened by signals. RETURN VALUES
The flock() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The flock() system call fails if: [EWOULDBLOCK] The file is locked and the LOCK_NB option was specified. [EBADF] The argument fd is an invalid descriptor. [EINVAL] The argument fd refers to an object other than a file. [EOPNOTSUPP] The argument fd refers to an object that does not support file locking. [ENOLCK] A lock was requested, but no locks are available. SEE ALSO
close(2), dup(2), execve(2), fcntl(2), fork(2), open(2), flopen(3), lockf(3) HISTORY
The flock() system call appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
November 9, 2011 BSD