Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract and place in variable Post 302348960 by TonyFullerMalv on Sunday 30th of August 2009 02:16:23 PM
Old 08-30-2009
The followmnmg will do what you are after:
Code:
COLLISIONCOUNT=`/sbin/ifconfig eth0 | grep "collisions"`
COLLMAX=99
if [ ${COLLISIONCOUNT} -gt ${COLLMAX} ] then
  echo "Collision count is greater than ${COLLMAX}!"
else
  echo "Collision count is less than than `expr ${COLLMAX}+1`!"
fi

It is the ` characters that run what is inside them and cause the output to be passed to the variable before the equals sign.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract x lines after a pattern - place each result in separate file

Hi all, I have many files that have 1 or more occurrences of the information I want. There are two distinct sets of information. I want get this info and place each occurrence in its own file. The 3 lines before one set are this grid 00 01 02 16 17 18 **40 lines of code I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gobi
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract characters from a variable

Hi All, I have scenario as below, I want to cut the characters and store it variable2.. and want to display the variable2.. as shown below... eg: the size may differs , i am show just an example..... numbers are not fixed in variable1..i want to extract characters and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

display changing variable in one place on screen in ksh

Is it possible using just korn shell script to display a variable on the screen that is constantly changing in on place on the screen, to tell it in coordinates or something? In a loop, echo will print a new line each time, can I make it a static position? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
7 Replies

4. Solaris

What is the best way to copy data from place to another place?

Dear Gurus, I need you to advice or suggestion about the best solution to copy data around 200-300G from serverA(location A) to serverB(location B). Normally, I will share folder and then copy but it takes too long time(about 2 days). Do you have any suggestion or which way should be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract attachment from mail and place it in a directory

Hi, I have a requiremnent that i have to read a mail from a mail box and extract the attachment from that mail and place it in a directory. First of all is it possible in unix ? if so could you please help me out how it can be done Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract variable name in a string

Hi, I'm doing a script to list all scripts called by a "master" script. But I have an issue as there is some variables in the name of the called scripts. Example: % cat master_script.sh ENVIR=PROD VERSION=1.2 /users/maturix/$ENVIR/program_$VERSION.shI would like my script displays a kind... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: maturix
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use GREP to count number of records and place it in a variable

I am trying to count the number of records from different files using grep, and then place the result in a separate variable for each file, so at the end of my shell script, I can sum all the variables and check if the number of records are equal to what I was expecting. It is weird butwc -ldoes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Place the results of a CUT command into a variable

I am being passed a file in UNIX, ie: variable.txt I need to extract the first part of the file content, up to the period, content ie: common_dir.second_output cut -d'.' -f1 /content/stores/variable.txt I then need to utilize the results to create a variable ($1), and test on that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: talonbow
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge variable data from another file into specific place?

Hello, I'm trying to create multiple commands using a variable input from another file but am not getting any successful results. Basically, file1.txt contains multiple lines with single words: <file1.txt> yellow blue black white I want to create multiple echo commands with these... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract value from a variable

Hello All, I have a variable named as output which holds value as below - output= trailer NULL data NULL] I need to extract bdfo_run_date value which is '41991' out of this, any pointers will be greatly appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
4 Replies
EVAL(3) 								 1								   EVAL(3)

eval - Evaluate a string as PHP code

SYNOPSIS
mixed eval (string $code) DESCRIPTION
Evaluates the given $code as PHP. Caution The eval(3) language construct is very dangerous because it allows execution of arbitrary PHP code. Its use thus is discouraged. If you have carefully verified that there is no other option than to use this construct, pay special attention not to pass any user provided data into it without properly validating it beforehand. PARAMETERS
o $code - Valid PHP code to be evaluated. The code mustn't be wrapped in opening and closing PHP tags, i.e. 'echo "Hi!";' must be passed instead of '<? echo "Hi!"; >'. It is still possible to leave and reenter PHP mode though using the appropriate PHP tags, e.g. 'echo "In PHP mode!"; ?>In HTML mode!<? echo "Back in PHP mode!";'. Apart from that the passed code must be valid PHP. This includes that all statements must be properly terminated using a semicolon. 'echo "Hi!"' for example will cause a parse error, whereas 'echo "Hi!";' will work. A return statement will immediately terminate the evaluation of the code. The code will be exe- cuted in the scope of the code calling eval(3). Thus any variables defined or changed in the eval(3) call will remain visible after it terminates. RETURN VALUES
eval(3) returns NULL unless return is called in the evaluated code, in which case the value passed to return is returned. If there is a parse error in the evaluated code, eval(3) returns FALSE and execution of the following code continues normally. It is not possible to catch a parse error in eval(3) using set_error_handler(3). EXAMPLES
Example #1 eval(3) example - simple text merge <?php $string = 'cup'; $name = 'coffee'; $str = 'This is a $string with my $name in it.'; echo $str. " "; eval("$str = "$str";"); echo $str. " "; ?> The above example will output: This is a $string with my $name in it. This is a cup with my coffee in it. NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. Tip As with anything that outputs its result directly to the browser, the output-control functions can be used to capture the output of this function, and save it in a string (for example). Note In case of a fatal error in the evaluated code, the whole script exits. SEE ALSO
call_user_func(3). PHP Documentation Group EVAL(3)