Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl Text manipulation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl Text manipulation Post 302348934 by figaro on Sunday 30th of August 2009 12:41:05 PM
Old 08-30-2009
If having a third column in the spreadsheet is acceptable, then you could keep the string "hostname3.yahoo.com" in the file and the solution would be easy to do if you start with an IP checker written in the shell language, some of which is written here: https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...idation-2.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text Manipulation.

Hi I have only ever used awk and sed for basic requirements up until now. I have had to break a log down for multiple purposes. Using awk, sed and a date script. I am left with this: (message id, time of msg attempt, message id, domain name, time of msg completion) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Icepick
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with text manipulation

Hi there, I have some text files in unix format that processed by a program in windows, and when I open them with less or vi in linux, a warn for opening binary file is prompted, and as shown in vi, between every two characters there was inserted a "^@". How can I fix this. Plus, there are over... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dustinwang2003
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Text Manipulation

I'm in need of help for a project that I'm working on. I believe Perl would be the best way of handling the string manipulation, however, I've barely used perl, and I'm used to BASH scripting. Another note is, this project is in a Windows environment, so I can use Perl, but I do not have shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drewrockshard
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

text manipulation

Hi All; i need to do text processing : I have a file: file1.txt >>>>>>>>>>>> 30 2 23 some 30 2 22 text 30 2 21 xyz 30 2 20 ttttt 30 2 19 ttttt-1 30 2 18 xryz 30 2 17 xyzr 30 2 16 xy111z 30 2 15 xanyyz 30 2 14 xzz 30 2 13 xyy 30 2 0 zzz-w 50 3 25 zzz-w 50 3 12 productw 50 3 10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unlx
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text Manipulation Help

Hello unix.com people! How can I modify a text in format: A:B:C A:B:C A:B:C into C/A/B C/A/B C/A/B Note: Text is line by line and "C", "B", "A" fields are different each row. Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

text manipulation help

Hello again unix.com How can I extract from a large file in format: steve@aol.com steve hawkins Location of this member is bla bla bla sun@hotmail.com Sun Ying This member is using browser bla bla bla to another text in format: steve@aol.com steve hawkins sun@hotmail.com sun ying ... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text Manipulation Help

Hello Unix.com, I have a text in format: john sara lee How can I make it: john:john john:john1 john:john12 john:john123 sara:sara sara:sara12 sara:sara123 and so on (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text manipulation help

Hello unix.com users, I have a ip file (line-by-line). How can I delete the ips that keep repeating by mark XXX.XXX.XXX.* ... I want to erase only the lines that keep repeating more than 2 times. Example: 1.2.3.1 1.2.3.2 1.2.3.3 I want to erase all ips blocks that are repeating by C... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text manipulation help

Hello unix.com I'm having trouble with a text file. It looks like this: Alvaro Costa Daldit Kaur Sings Brian G Heward Desmond Ogilvie John Der William Gherasim Lance Mackey Donald Kopplin Robert Mckinlay Jahir Hussain Mohamed Jack Benaim Abraham Weiss I want... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text manipulation

i want to generate a list line-by-line of normal characters using letters . for example : dnds gnos mgod pets jnfp etc... i want to use all letters with all the posibilities is there a script that can do this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suppliernr1
3 Replies
NETSCRIPT-2.2.conf(5)						File Formats Manual					     NETSCRIPT-2.2.conf(5)

NAME
/etc/netscript/network.conf - interface, firewalling, and QoS configuration file. /etc/netscript/if.conf - interface setup shell script file /etc/netscript/qos.conf - QoS setup shell script file /etc/netscript/ipfilter.conf - IP chains filtering shell script file /etc/netscript/srvfilter.conf - server IP filter shell script file DESCRIPTION
This manpage is a place holder until something better is written when the netscript itself has stopped changing rapidly. Please see the README file in the /etc/netscript directory, and READ the configuration files if you need to change them. Apart from net- work.conf, all of them contain sh (1) shell script functions which are there so that various things can be altered or hooked in at the right place. Network.conf contains the full network setup details, including special interface setup for the likes of ciped/pppd/wanconfig, and is fully commented with examples given. UPGRADE PATH FROM KERNEL 2.2.X The firewall/IP filtering stuff in ipfilter.conf is the part that changed radically with the move to iptables and a far better way of set- ting up the IP filtering rules, however the QoS and interface startup/shutdown in if.conf have changed but are backwards compatible with the old 2.2.x ipchains version of netscript for the interface address configuration settings. You will have to set up the filtering again to use iptables by directly using the iptables commands. Also, the kernel 2.2.x version scripts are set up so that iptables is only run on a 2.4.x kernel, otherwise IP forwarding is disabled if beforehand you set IPFWDING_KERNEL to FILTER_ON in network.conf. This means that when you upgrade a box to a 2.4.x router kernel, you should then be able to reboot it and log into remotely and upgrade netscript to the version that will support 2.4.x. In this situation, if you have set old IPFWDING_KERNEL setting to FILTER_ON beforehand in network.conf, all IP forwarding through the box will also be disabled. This means that you can safely remotely upgrade a firewall. SEE ALSO
netscript(8), ipchains(8), iproute(8), brcfg(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Matthew Grant <grantma@anathoth.gen.nz>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). BUGS
The author is lazy. He needs to write btter man pages... November 23, 2000 NETSCRIPT-2.2.conf(5)