Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Changing the Bash Scripts to Bourne Scripts:URGENT Post 302348891 by Scott on Sunday 30th of August 2009 10:15:59 AM
Old 08-30-2009
Hi.

On my (Linux) system, they are the same:

Code:
> ll $(which sh)
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Feb  9  2008 /bin/sh -> bash

/bin > ./sh
/bin > echo $0
sh
/bin > $0 --version
GNU bash, version 3.1.17(1)-release (i686-redhat-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Check this on your system.

If they're not the same, change the "shebang" on the first line:

i.e.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

and run the script (possibly with -n) to check the syntax and see where the errors are.

I found this link (from cfjohnson) about how to "simulate arrays" in shells which don't support them:

http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups...4-05/0052.html

Last edited by Scott; 08-30-2009 at 11:30 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing permission using scripts

I have been trying to create a script that changes the user rights to read in the 'other' group across directories. The problem I'm having is that when i execute the script, the permissions of the directories remains the same. HELP (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
8 Replies

2. AIX

Examples of writing shell scripts for AIX, it's urgent

Please help me 1. Please give me the few examples of shell scripts written for AIX 2.I have scripts written on Unix, does that work for AIX, if not what are the changes to be carried out to run the scripts on AIX.... Please help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_haroon
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to log if the program contains both bourne-shell & pearl scripts

I have a program (say, MyProgram) written in Bourne-shell script, but at some point it calls another script written in pearl, as illustrated below: #!/bin/sh ..... case $x in 1) ConfigSystem1 ( b-shell script) 2) ConfigSystem2 ( pl) 3) ConfigSystem3 (b-shell) .... Then I create... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluemoon1
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripts and changing users

Hi, I am writing somescripts to shut down some services in Korn Shell. Some of the services are under different owners. For example when I want to shutdown NXserver I need to be "root", but when I shut down the webserver I need to be under a different user. Manual I would use "su root" and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bonekrusher
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing scripts in /etc/rc2.d

This is a newbie question in which I feel almost ashamed in asking lol. I am told to make changes to /etc/rc2.d so that only certain scripts run. If I change something like S05netconfig to s05netconfig will it still run? What is the difference between S and s scripts (I see both types in there).... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkruck
1 Replies

6. Fedora

I need urgent help - Basic shell scripts but I'm clueless.

Hello. I am currently in a class dealing with shell scripts. I know some commands and get the basics of command line in Fedora 11. But the coding....I'm a bit lost. I was very ill for 2 weeks and missed a lot, much of which there are no notes provided. I'm not asking you to do my homework,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Feuyaer
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron changing folder for scripts

I would like to ask if cron when running a planned script changes the current folder for the script. Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
2 Replies

8. AIX

Please update inittab/rc.shutdown/rc scripts to start/stop mqm (need help Urgent)

HI i need help from seniors on this issue, i need to know how to do this, i need to update 50+ server starting saturday. below is the ticket which i have with full description. Currently MQ Series must be stopped before and started after any reboot. Not having the start/stop as part of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gulamibrahim
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - How to call different scripts from master scripts based on a column in an Oracle table

Dear Members, I have a table REQUESTS in Oracle which has an attribute REQUEST_ACTION. The entries in REQUEST_ACTION are like, ME, MD, ND, NE etc. I would like to create a script which will will call other scripts based on the request action. Can we directly read from the REQUEST_ACTION... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
2 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)