Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Killing a shell script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Killing a shell script Post 302348274 by pcwiz on Thursday 27th of August 2009 08:29:18 PM
Old 08-27-2009
Hi,

I used the kill utility and it seems to work fine for my purposes Smilie

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing process using a script

can I do ps -ef | grep <process_name> and kill the process is it exists? and send a mail to me that the process was found and killed Thanks much... KS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing a child process within a shell

Hi All, I have a written a script in korn shell for importing data into a oracle database. The shell invokes the import within the script. I want to kill this import (child process) . I tries using trap, but this does not kill the import even if i press cnt c. i have to login into other terminal... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yerics
2 Replies

3. AIX

killing a process from a script

Hey all. I'm brand new to this forum and am looking for some help. I have a script that verifies that the backup tapes are working correctly. Basically is uses 1 command: restore -xpqvf > rootvglog I use this for each volume group that we have. We run this everyday but the problem is, we... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalge2
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script not killing process!

i am using script to connect remotly to server and run some commands , one of these commands is to kill some process but tried different ways with no hope sshpass -p 'pass' ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no server kill -9 `pgrep procs` getting error message "kill: bad argument count" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogabr
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Question: Killing a process using a supplied name to a shell script

Hi, I am trying to automate the killing of named processes of which I found a good solution here on the forums but as I am pretty much a begginer to linux I am having an issue. The code I found is: kill $(ps -ef | nawk '/monitoreo start/ { print $2}'} but what I want to do is replace... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TylrRssl1
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

**need help for killing a process through script**

Hello All, i hope you are fine. I need a little help from you people-- inside a script i want to kill a parent process by checking it with the child process.. p_pid=`ps -e | awk '/ra_cmd_d/ {print$1}'` here i am selecting the child process id in p_pid. next-- sleep_pid=`ps -af |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyniladri
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripts - Killing a job....

Hello all, I need to write a shell script that does the following; Allows you to kill a job,(1) listing only the jobs you own, (2) asks for which job to kill, (3) kills the job and (4) confirms kill... I am not sure if I need to first run the job command and pipe it with kill? Which options... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: citizencro
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Killing the shell Process

I was just playing with the processes and suddenly a question striked my mind: What will happen if we kill directly the shell process?? :rolleyes: Do anyone know? Will the system shutdown? Or the system wont let it be killed? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paras.oriental
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a program in shell script

I followed the directions here Free Twitter Source Code ? Twitter Database Server: Install and created a php script that enters twitter keyword searches into a MySQL DB. When you execute the files outlined in the above link, a script starts indefinitely. I've noticed that the scripts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
6 Replies
kill(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   kill(1)

Name
       kill - send a signal to a process

Syntax
       kill [-sig] processid...
       kill -l

Description
       The command sends the TERM (terminate, 15) signal to the specified processes.  If a signal name or number preceded by `-' is given as first
       argument, that signal is sent instead of terminate.  For further information, see

The terminate signal kills processes that do not catch the signal; `kill -9 ...' is a sure kill, as the KILL (9) signal cannot  be  caught.
       By convention, if process number 0 is specified, all members in the process group (that is, processes resulting from the current login) are
       signaled.  This works only if you use and not if you use To kill a process it must either belong to you or you must be superuser.

The process number of an asynchronous process started with `&' is reported by the shell.  Process numbers can also be  found  by  using	It
       allows job specifiers ``%...''  so process ID's are not as often used as arguments.  See for details.

Options
       -l   Lists  signal  names.  The signal names are listed by `kill -l', and are as given in /usr/include/signal.h, stripped of the common SIG
	    prefix.

See Also
       csh(1), ps(1), kill(2), sigvec(2)

kill(1)