Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirect output of print statement to file Post 302348210 by Muga801 on Thursday 27th of August 2009 04:20:07 PM
Old 08-27-2009
Thanks for the reply. I solved this problem with the following:

Code:
DUP_FILE="/export/.../.../dup_social_$1"

while (($# > 0 ))
do
# Make sure the file exists
if [[ ! -f $1 ]]
then
print "$1: does not exist or not accessible \n"
else
#open the file for input
exec 3>$DUP_FILE
exec 0<$1
while read LINE
do
# Store Social Security numbers to SOCIAL1 and SOCIAL2
SOCIAL1=`echo "$LINE" | awk '{ print substr ($0, 105, 9) }'`
SOCIAL2=`echo "$LINE" | awk '{ print substr ($0, 212, 9) }'`
if [ "$SOCIAL1" = "$SOCIAL2" ] ; then
print -u3 "$LINE" 
fi
# Close the open file descriptor 3
exec 3>&-

Last edited by vgersh99; 08-27-2009 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: code tags, PLEASE!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect output to file?

Hi: I am currently working on a program which requires direct its ouput to a file here is an example ./proram arg_1 arg_2 when program ends all output will be arg_2 file Is that possible I am not a bad programmer, However I am stuck there. Can anyone give a hint? Thanks SW (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slackware
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to redirect debug statement to file?

Hi, I need to redirect the debug statements to out.txt {(set -x) >> out.txt} ??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect output to a file

Ahhhrrrggg I'm having a brain fart... I want to take the output of a command and redirect it to a file... This works.... $ man cp | cat >> copy_help but this doesn't keytool -help |cat >> keytool_help It just produces... these lines... more keytool_help ] ... ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect output to a file name

Hi all!! is possible to assign the output of some command to filename, i.e. grep_output.txt Otherwise, I want to open a new file which name is inside another, how can I do it? Thanks a lot! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csecnarf
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect the output to a .xls file

Hi, I am using the sybase database server though unix platform and try to retrieve some data by the help of select statement, and my main issue is i want to redirect all the the data i.e. retrieve from the select statement to a .xls file with the same column name and the outputs. How can i do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How redirect standard output to a file

Hi guys, i have a script named purgeErrors.ksh, when i execute this script i need to redirect the output to a log file in the same directory, how can i do that ?? -- Aditya (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaditya
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect output of ls to a file?

Hi All, I want to redirect only the file names to a new file from the ls -ltr directroy. how Can i do it. my ls -ltr output will be as below. -rwxr-xr-x 1 118 103 28295 Jul 26 2006 event.podl -rwxr-xr-x 1 118 103 28295 Jul 26 2006 xyz.podl I want my new file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect script output to a file and mail the output

Hi Guys, I want to redirect the output of 3 scripts to a file and then mail the output of those three scripts. I used below but it is not working: OFILE=/home/home1/report1 echo "report1 details" > $OFILE =/home/home1/1.sh > $OFILE echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect the output of the telnet to a file

Hi, I am using cygwin. Below is my script that reads all ip ports for iplist.txt and telnets to it. ( file="iplist.txt" while read line do echo $line echo $(telnet $line) done <"$file" ) > output2.txt ~ while the output2.txt gets the first echo but does not show the second... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
print(1)							   User Commands							  print(1)

NAME
print - shell built-in function to output characters to the screen or window SYNOPSIS
ksh print [ -Rnprsu [n]] [arg...] DESCRIPTION
ksh The shell output mechanism. With no flags or with flag - or -, the arguments are printed on standard output as described by echo(1). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n suppresses new-line from being added to the output. -R -r (raw mode) ignore the escape conventions of echo. The -R option will print all subsequent arguments and options other than -n. -p causes the arguments to be written onto the pipe of the process spawned with |& instead of standard output. -s causes the arguments to be written onto the history file instead of standard output. -u [ n ] flag can be used to specify a one digit file descriptor unit number n on which the output will be placed. The default is 1. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. >0 Output file is not open for writing. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1), ksh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 print(1)