Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: logical volume remove
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat logical volume remove Post 302348208 by s_linux on Thursday 27th of August 2009 04:35:27 PM
Old 08-27-2009
Thanks it works.

---------- Post updated at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:15 PM ----------

it works with extending the size. But when i remove "/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol04 - 10gb /var" and I check for the Free PE with vgdisplay command, i see same free PE even after lvm. is there anything i missed? Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - Extending Logical Volume within Volume Group

Hello, I have logical volume group of 50GB, in which I have 2 logical volumes, LogVol01 and LogVol02, both are of 10GB. If I extend LogVol01 further by 10GB, then it keeps the extended copy after logical volume 2. I want to know where it keeps this information Regards Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
3 Replies

2. AIX

Moving a Logical Volume from one Volume Group to Another

Does anyone have any simple methods for moving a current logical volume from one volume group to another? I do not wish to move the data from one physical volume to another. Basically, I want to "relink" the logical volume to exist in a different volume group. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krisw
2 Replies

3. AIX

Basic Filesystem / Physical Volume / Logical Volume Check

Hi! Can anyone help me on how I can do a basic check on the Unix filesystems / physical volumes and logical volumes? What items should I check, like where do I look at in smit? Or are there commands that I should execute? I need to do this as I was informed by IBM that there seems to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Unmount and remove all Logical vol.Volume group and physical disk

Hi, Someone please help me with how i can unmount and remove all the files systems from a cluster. This is being shared by two servers that are active_standby. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeli
3 Replies

5. AIX

Logical volume name conflict in two volume group

Hello, I am a french computer technician, and i speak English just a little. On Aix 5.3, I encounter a name conflict logical volume on two volume group. The first volume lvnode01 is OK in rootvg and mounted. It is also consistent in the ODM root # lsvg -l rootvg |grep lvnode01 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

7. AIX

Position of the logical volume on the physical volume

Hello everyone, I just read that while creating a logical volume(LV) we can choose the region of the physical volume (PV) in which the LV should be created. When I say region I mean: outer edge - outer middle - center - inner middle and inner edge. Can anyone help me understand the utility... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE bytes --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The SIZE argument is an integer and optional unit (example: 10K is 10*1024). Units are K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y (powers of 1024) or KB,MB,... (pow- ers of 1000). SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: '+' extend by, '-' reduce by, '<' at most, '>' at least, '/' round down to multiple of, '%' round up to multiple of. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/truncate> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) truncate invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TRUNCATE(1)